IT.COM

Domaining as a Career?

NameSilo
Watch

BasedBeyond

Top Member
Impact
I know that a good amount of us work an everyday job, and invest in domains on the side. But I've always wondered this:

If you were to quit your current position right now in order to become a full-time domainer, would domaining alone be able to fulfill your living expenses and criteria?

Can domaining be pursued as a career?

Curious to hear your responses, thanks.

BasedB

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
well, it depend on where you live! if u live in country with cheap cost!
Domaining is not about countries...
It is about you... about your experience, knowledge and skills... depends only on these factors, and can be 4F/mo just from monetization (even without any sales).

Last edited:
•••
Regarding G7 countries...
In this case you have even more possibilities to make money... because potential buyers on your domains are everywhere around you...

•••
Domaining is not about countries...
It is about you... about your experience, knowledge and skills... depends only on these factors, and can be 4F/mo just from monetization (even without any sales).

yeah, I know, but for ppl that live in 3rd world, actually don't need 4 figure to live well, but of course, skill and knowledge are the most important factor to get profit from domaining! :xf.grin:

•••
I would answer a definite no personally to the OP question. I think to have enough to live on, would need a large initial investment. If one did have a large initial investment, then I think it probably is wiser and less risky to invest it in other forms of investment. I do like domains, but not to depend on for living. As @Adam27 commented, most of those use it as one income stream but with other streams within domains or allied fields. I think that definitely makes sense for those with the skills to make it work.

•••
I started in 2008 from ~$30...

•••
I started in 2008 from ~$30...
The power of patience :)

As for OP, I think it is possible for many to make a full-time income in domaining. The question is whether you would be solely relying on buying/selling domains rather than branching out into other ventures in the domaining space.

If you were to start a domain brokerage, a blog, sell courses, etc. and provide value that way, than I believe it would be quicker to reach full-time income status.

Investing in liquid/wholesale domains would help when your sales have dipped for certain stretches, as you can simply auction a few off for quick cash.

As for me, this is only a side hustle at the moment. Could it be full-time down the road? My revenue has been increasing every month, so, perhaps.

•••
I know that a good amount of us work an everyday job, and invest in domains on the side. But I've always wondered this:

If you were to quit your current position right now in order to become a full-time domainer, would domaining alone be able to fulfill your living expenses and criteria?

Can domaining be pursued as a career?

Curious to hear your responses, thanks.

BasedB

I would learn how to make money first before jumping into this and trying to go full-time. I jumped into this and made no money for my first 6 months going full-time it took me awhile to get it but I finally did best decision I ever made

•••
This is also a question of your addiction/passion...
If you really love domaining - then this love will be mutual.

•••
Matt, owner of Bodis, made his 1st million on domains when he was under 20 years old...

•••
@Jurgen Wolf how big of a portfolio do you need to make decent money from parking?

•••
This may be even 10 domains with HQ traffic...

•••
Medium/Large portfolio is necessary only for regular sales...
Each domain - one more chance for you...
But portfolio size and structure should be properly balanced with your returns... to be in profit.

Last edited:
•••
Is it safe to say HQ traffic come only from premium domains?

•••
This may be even 10 domains with HQ traffic...
Shouldn’t we sell these kind of domains as soon as possible? If we park them to some useless ad pages, they’ll run out of traffic soon enough.

•••
No...
HQ traffic may come even from typo domains... and from the quality backlinks...
The highest conversion - with type-in traffic...
And really important - from which countries it is coming...

You should also understand what you are doing...
Some guys here are flipping the domains for $5... then the same domains are purchased by endusers for 500 EUR and higher (from me)... and without any marketplaces or outbound.

•••
What tool, if any, do you use to determine all these factors?

•••
Mostly Google... and own brain.

•••
Look at the most successful people in this industry and they do #2 eventually. Schilling built a domain registrar and registry. Cyger invested in Efty. Adam Strong has NameBio and DomainAgents.

Precisely.

Its not about what they are saying it is what they are doing.

•••
+ there are many non-free SEO services/tools... for deep research.

•••
Appears to be a Risky and Unpredictable business for people who are starting now. Never go full time and don't invest anything anything you can't afford to lose, IMO:xf.smile::xf.grin::xf.wink:

•••
It can be full-time business provided You spend working 12 hours/day and marketing both in electronic world as well as real world.

•••
Keep your dreams and confidence in place to achieve whatever you want! Won't always happen, but you can rest assured you gave it your best

•••
Only one sale xxx value via Afternic. I am feeling lucky, a xxxx value requires for renewals of my domains or it will cost money from my pocket.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back