IT.COM

Any full time domainers here?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
Fulltime domainer i mean a domainer with his major source of income is from domains ,tell us how is your typical day and your portfolio size and sales.

Related:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I planed to spent 3 years as a full-time domainer. If i failed, i would come back to the office and work as a staff like my friends.
I'm young, living in the developing country, living in my parent's house, no wife and no kids.
If you live in EU or USA, have wife and kids, do another jobs. Once you get rich, you can invest in domains like a pension funds.
dribbble_lettering_05_1x.jpg

•••
Pension funds can't multiply your money...
Domaining - CAN... and even within short period of time...

Last edited:
•••
Another very important factor - art of negotiations... to get the maximum from each incoming buyer...
And even Seller's psychology... many domainers are not even mentally ready to trade in 4F and 5F range...
That's why their profit is low even with regular sales.

interesting you should mention 'ability' I was surprised to learn how many kids these days leave school with the basics in all the Office software and even basic web design, then all want to be Web-designers. back in our days it was wood/metal work followed by Engineering design and we all wanted to be car or aircraft designers.

nobody ever really teaches Salesmanship

Last edited:
•••
My tips, if you want to become full time domainer
1) Do not hand reg. it will cost money and renewal and on the other hand those domains sell if you lucky. Only exception if you find something solid (please dont daydream).
2) Do not reg. several domains for in the hope of far future sell, again it will cost reg. fee and renewal.

What! Without domain how can I become a full time domainer?
3) No problem there are many domainers who already regged. reserved domains for you.
4) Wait for right time and right trend and at the right time and while trend is hot purchase domains from other half time domainers.
5) Purchase quality names, it will sure sell with huge profit or at lease with little bit profit if you select right one.
6) Right price buy and sell is most important.
7) Repeat the circle. Please keep in mind, only buy solid domains.

•••
what's the medium or average income of full time bloggers?
I don't know their income, but in the past I saw a blogger from Moscow who easily purchased some .RU domain for $10K.

•••
Sorry, I meant living here is tough to do domaining ;)

Quality of life is good, but everything in this country is so damn expensive!

Domain price + 20% VAT kinda kills it too.

Everywhere is same, even including 3rd world it is expensive if you want to live exact same quality life as UK.

How we cut expense:
No education or quality education, No bathroom, If bathroom Shower and Bathtub (without survey data I can assume only 1% can think about it), no hygiene in food, house and etc. etc.

Last edited:
•••
Less than 1% can think about bathtub in bathroom. Any 3rd world.
Have you ever lived in a 3rd country ? or just watch BBC/CNN documentaries and typed those words ?

Last edited:
•••
•••
The problem is there are many bad advices out there, even that came from some experienced and successful domainers.

NO, dont spend $1,000 on one domain rather than $20/each on 50 domains. Instead, learn what works and then spend that $1,000 on the 50 closeouts domains. Then DONT wait for years that you sell that 1 domain which you bought for that $1,000 (if you listened to those who suggest that), instead get your ass in the front of PC and work hard to do a proper outbound for each of those 50 domains that you bought for $20 each.

ONLY IN THE MEANTIME buy some $1,000+ domains and wait for the right offer with them. That should be a hobby, and the real job should be doing outbounds, and then you can live comfortably by doing domaining.

If you dont want to do outbounds and if you dont have some domains that you acquired in the 90s, then you will probably not be able to live from domaining in the US, EU or some other well developed country.

Quality over quantity.......bad advice!!! Why? Because quality is not cheap and you are not allowed to make a mistake. What if you decide to purchase only 1 domain and your budget is $5,000, but you overpay it? On the other side, what if you decide to spend those $5,000 on lets say 200 GD closeouts domains and you make a mistake with 50% of them? Not a big deal, as if you sell only the other 50% of them for only $100/each you will make $10,000.

OK, what if you decide to purchase only 1 domain and you pick the right one and get it at a good reseller price? Bingo! But would you be ready to sell it for $6,000 or $7,000? I dont think so as if you invested $5,000 to make only $1,000 or $2,000 in profits then it is not something that should be making you happy. Would you sell it for $15,000? Well, probably, but nobody told you that those kind of offers are not coming everyday and that you will most likely need to wait at least about few months (or even a few years) for a serious buyer with a good budget. You might be thinking that you will do outbounds with that one domain that you purchased for $5,000. Wrong! If you do that, you will be crashing the price of it as outbounds do crash the price. You can do the outbounds with your low value domains or with some ultra-premium domains like tubro popular single-keyword .com domains. Anything in the middle is ideal for the waiting game, not for the outbounds. Of course you can actively be offering any domain, but in many cases that is not the best tactics.

So the key is education and hard work. Educate yourself about this business and then be ready to work 8 hours (effectively) 5 days a week. In that case if you will not be able to live only from domaining than it is something wrong with you. Simple as that.

In the meantime, purchase some quality domains and wait for the offers with them. However, your focus should be on doing outbounds. There are so many domains that can still be hand-regged or purchased for $10 or $20-$30 and resold the same day for low to mid $xxx if you will do the outbounds for them lets say 8 hours a day. It is time consuming, but domaining is not a lottery as you might thought. Domaining is a real job as any other. If you want to make at least mid $x,xxx each month you should work for it. Otherwise, it will be nobody elses fault if you will not be able to pay your bills only by selling domains. Domaining is a beautiful job and very profitable job, but it is a job. Want to work from home? Want to be your own boss? Want to take a day-off whenever you need it without asking anyone? Want to work at the time you like instead of getting out from bed in 6am so that you will have the time to go through the traffic jam and be on work by 9am? Want to sleep until you will be enough of sleeping instead till the moment when you alarm turn on? Fine, no problem, educate yourself and start doing domaining, but be ready to work hard. Stop listening to those BS advices that say "Quality over quantity". Of course you will not be looking for domains like TheDentistWhoIsTheBestInTown.com, but there is nothing wrong with the domains like BostonCarpetCleaning.com and although they are not deemed as those "quality ones" it is very easy to resell them for good profits in a short time. When you make some budget you might be able to purchase something like CarpetCleaning.com or maybe even Carpets.com, but until then, you should do the outbounds with lower quality domains or you should stop thinking about domaining as your full-time job and consider it only as a hobby.

I probably have many mistakes in this post as English is not my first language and I was not concentrated on grammar and spelling, but you should get the point.

And yes, domaining is my full-time job, if you can call it that way in my specific case :) I dont work everyday, and sometimes I dont work even every week in a month.

Very well explained!(y)

•••
Thats why you didnt get my point.

Wrong again. Feel free to spend your capital of lets say $50,000 on one domain without being an educated domainer. You will most likely end up with loss.

There are many types of domaining, but if you want to have a constant cash flow stick to my advice, no matter what is your capital.

As I said in the previous post, I am a finance expert. I know very detailed things about investments. Nobody has to be a domainer to invest in domaining. Take look at big holidng companies, they have companies from banking to media, from oil to telecommunications. Do they know all of these industries? No. They have money. They don't need to know anything. They simply buy profitable companies. Each domains or website are like a profitable company. You buy it to run or resell. The mechanism is same in any type of business. You pay x amount money and buy something to earn y amount of money in z amount of time. All businesses are same. You don't have to know or learn anything. You have to own capital to buy something, to run it after the purchase and to sell it when you want. All you need is capital, nothing else.

•••
Full Time Domainer=No
Full Time Income From Domaining=Yes

When I buy a domain or stock shares I pretend it's illegal to sell either for 5 years. If I'm not okay with owning the domain or stock in 5+ years I don't buy. That's my self imposed patient end user only seller quality filter. I have to believe in the domain or stock long term to invest as never been a flipper and have seen insane ROI from holding for the right buyer or the right time.

Last edited:
•••
•••
How long you can do such work with pleasure? 1 week, 1 month, 1 year or???
Domaining (as any other kind of investing activity) you can do whole your life...
Yes but one should also be able to afford an unsteady "job" (if they take up domaining as a full time profession). Not a lot of folks can. In fact, as @urljunky pointed out above, in some parts of the world, an average domainer with a family definitely cannot not live off just domaining.

•••
And then directly on various Chinese auctions they were traded up to $2XX each...
I don't use CN-platforms... and this my 2nd mistake regarding this theme.

•••
So your financial results depend completely on your skills.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks God! I live in 3rd world! :xf.laugh:
I only need to sell 1 domain permonth, and that's it! :xf.grin: pay electricity $10, Internet $30, food $300, buy some candy!:xf.wink: if you know what I mean, $30, basically total cost to live in 3rd worlds can be $300-400!

just suggestion if you want to make domainer full time, move to 3rd world!:ROFL: LMAO!
(its jokes for God sake!)

•••
Last edited:
•••
I've been selling domains full time for almost 10 years now. Its often a feast and famine kind of thing. Also a work 7 days a week at all hours kind of thing.
What's your portfolio size, where your sales come from ?

•••
My policy for enduser sales: minimum high $xxx.
As per my experience this policy is not bad. But this policy not for everyone. It require lot and lot of personal experience as end user sale data is rarely available.

•••
I don't know their income, but in the past I saw a blogger from Moscow who easily purchased some .RU domain for $10K.
O.o
thought bloggers couldnt afford domain. Have stopped targeted blogger names.

•••
Regarding domain blogs...
I think, that Michael Berkens makes some 5F/mo on his TheDomains.com
This is possible definitely.

Last edited:
•••
Of course I'm sure about it. Domain income is must to be shown but is nontaxable. There are taxes on every other business and even on IT sector including software houses, etc. The only reason I can think off about domain income being tax-free is the people on top have no idea about what domains are and how the income is generated. Even most of the common people here don't even know the word "domain", let alone understanding about it :-D
Smart idea

•••
This is interesting. So, what I understand is since the Income Tax rule is silent on 'Income from Domain sales', it is considered/ assumed tax free. Am I right?

Right. At least until 30th June, 2019... Legally :xf.smile:

•••
Makes sense. Since it is not exclusively mentioned, it comes under the subset of 'IT Services' which, is tax free till June 2019. Cool!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back