NameSilo

new gtlds Amazon adopts new holiday domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Google reportedly spent $25 million to buy the .app extension, and adopted ABC.xyz as its primary domain name for Alphabet. BMW is preparing to launch.bmw, Marriott is defining its .marriott extension as “A journey beyond .com” and Sony is privately using .sony. Oprah even adopted a dot buzz domain and already cracked the top 30,000 sites in the U.S. with wherearetheynow.buzz, according to Alexa.

Amazon adopted Amazon.Christmas and Amazon.BlackFriday

http://name.link/amazon-adopts-new-holiday-domains/#.Vi5kS_mqqko
Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Crazy stupid. So much fragmentation coming. People want things simple.. one address to access all services/products... not 5 seperate addresses to access different products/services/messages from one company..

ONE domain/address for the DOOR; a website with good UI and links to the products/areas/services is all that is needed.

K I S S..... L I M....... N M D? :guilty:

All though it is interesting to see what will happen in this coming chaos.

•••
And when you see an AD on tv for Amazon.Christmas or Amazon.Blackfriday, I know I just have to go to that link to see all the Christmas or Blackfriday deals. I do not need to search Amazon for a 300x300 box that says blackfriday deals.

•••
Thats' a lot of interesting news and am pleased to see the expanded use of extensions by companies/people so well known.

•••
Google reportedly spent $25 million to buy the .app extension, and adopted ABC.xyz as its primary domain name for Alphabet. BMW is preparing to launch.bmw, Marriott is defining its .marriott extension as “A journey beyond .com” and Sony is privately using .sony. Oprah even adopted a dot buzz domain and already cracked the top 30,000 sites in the U.S. with wherearetheynow.buzz, according to Alexa.

Amazon adopted Amazon.Christmas and Amazon.BlackFriday
Source

"the change is here" and these are the best examples that they could come up with? Some stuff not even launched yet. Amazon using these as forwarders to their .com. Privately using? What's that mean? Internal email? How does something privately being used change anything, public doesn't see this.

Here is a ZDNET article I just saw mentioned on one of the blogs today:

New top-level domains a money grab and a mistake: Paul Vixie

http://www.zdnet.com/article/new-top-level-domains-a-money-grab-and-a-mistake-paul-vixie/

•••
"the change is here" and these are the best examples that they could come up with? Some stuff not even launched yet. Amazon using these as forwarders to their .com. Privately using? What's that mean? Internal email? How does something privately being used change anything, public doesn't see this.

Here is a ZDNET article I just saw mentioned on one of the blogs today:

New top-level domains a money grab and a mistake: Paul Vixie

http://www.zdnet.com/article/new-top-level-domains-a-money-grab-and-a-mistake-paul-vixie/

It's a slow trickle that will eventually turn into a flood. Paul Vixie is a very smart man. And there is merit to what he is saying. However, there are many examples out there of things we thought we didn't need or want, but, due to marketing and trickle down usage, grow to become huge commercial success. Uhm this internet thing and email just to name a few. The fact of the matter is there is commercial uasage for GTLDs. Companies need whatever edge they can get to differentiate themselves from the crowd. .COM isn't going anywhere.... this is just a change of paste that happens time to time. I'd rather bet for it (as I have) then against it. It's small money now. I'm actually surprise at the speed of adoption. I expected it to take longer.

•••
I think everyone going for long run game if they investing huge amount of fund for any new registry and marjet that new tlds , they have something in mind.

If you can use all the amount of investment invested by these new tlds you can easily buy out all of the .com names from market except few and ask the end user to pay 5 times more then current value of .com by monoploy or shortage of names and can be double your investment in less then 5 year but they pick completly new path to serve next generation.

How many of you have tought google or even godaddy will be this big 20 year ago but today it is king of search engine.

It is good for domain name traders as long as new investor or buyer keep buying names.

•••
It's a slow trickle that will eventually turn into a flood. Paul Vixie is a very smart man. And there is merit to what he is saying. However, there are many examples out there of things we thought we didn't need or want, but, due to marketing and trickle down usage, grow to become huge commercial success. Uhm this internet thing and email just to name a few. The fact of the matter is there is commercial uasage for GTLDs. Companies need whatever edge they can get to differentiate themselves from the crowd. .COM isn't going anywhere.... this is just a change of paste that happens time to time. I'd rather bet for it (as I have) then against it. It's small money now. I'm actually surprise at the speed of adoption. I expected it to take longer.

What I find interesting tho is these brand type extensions getting thrown in with these new gtlds as examples, when for me they're different. BMW, Marriott, Sony etc. doesn't matter to me since they're not something a domainer can buy and sell or develop. And these companies aren't giving up their .coms. What Sony does internally with theirs, I don't see any connection with some new gtld somebody invests in. The other examples, not that great. The Oprah example is about it in this article. The Google .xyz has been gone over to death here, a 1 pager linking out to some of their .com properties. Then Amazon just using them as a url forwarder. Not seeing any great development here with new gtlds that we can buy. That needs to happen.

Last edited:
•••
What I find interesting tho is these brand type extensions geting thrown in with these new gtlds as examples, when for me they're different. BMW, Marriott, Sony etc. doesn't matter to me since they're not something a domainer can buy and sell or develop. What Sony does internally with theirs, I don't see any connection with some new gtld somebody invests in. The other examples, not that great. The Oprah example is about it in this article. The Google .xyz has been gone over to death here, a 1 pager linking out to some of their .com properties. Then Amazon just using them as a url forwarder. Not seeing any great development here.

Yeah... it's a very slow trickle :) I know Apple plans and is using Apple.News as their url shortener in it's news app so it's getting there little by little steps not leaps with these. A little exposure here and there is good news.

•••
I hate those new TLDS, Maybe i can use my name as a tld

•••
I hate those new TLDS, Maybe i can use my name as a tld
Why not in next round keep your ban account with good amount and we all buy your name and make you hero.

•••
Why not in next round keep your ban account with good amount and we all buy your name and make you hero.

Man this make the business has a poor repute and disturb me because of anyone want to register a tld for his name ( he will ) before Nile Patel .com Now Get your name @ .Nile Patel !!

•••
Man this make the business has a poor repute and disturb me because of anyone want to register a tld for his name ( he will ) before Nile Patel .com Now Get your name @ .Nile Patel !!

It is not that simple what you thinking when they investing in millions, the logic is they want to make money by continue renewal charge which they charge to registrar and registrar charge to domain buyer with $1 or little more profit, so the company who do registry make more money every year compare to registrar like godaddy. Companies want continues revenue after few year later like how verisign make money and they all realize they missed the boat at that time.

Last edited:
•••
...Oprah even adopted a dot buzz domain and already cracked the top 30,000 sites in the U.S. with wherearetheynow.buzz, according to Alexa.

Oprah could buy ANY domain she wanted, and yet she chose to develop a .BUZZ domain. That is a very big development.

All it takes is someone with a following like Oprah to promote a book, a or a Presidential Candidate or in this case a gTLD and watch what happens.

The success of Oprah's gTLD should serve as a wake up call to the ".com only" domain investors. If Oprah is on board with brandable gTLD's then wide spread public acceptance is not far behind.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yeah... it's a very slow trickle :) I know Apple plans and is using Apple.News as their url shortener in it's news app so it's getting there little by little steps not leaps with these. A little exposure here and there is good news.

Apple, PayPal, Google & Oprah --- maybe this gTLD thing is more than a passing fad.

Last edited:
•••
Oprah could buy ANY domain she wanted, and yet she choose to develop a .BUZZ domain. That is a very big development.

All it takes is someone with a following like Oprah to promote a book, a or a Presidential Candidate or in this case a gTLD and watch what happens.

The success of Oprah's gTLD should serve as a wake up call to the ".com only" domain investors. If Oprah is on board with brandable gTLD's then wide spread public acceptance is not far behind.

Knock, Knock, reality is here:

https://namestat.org/buzz

Not even 10,000 domains, +5 for yesterday. 9,134 regs. In June, it was actually over 11,000, so numbers are down from then.

Want to talk sales? How about 1 sale over $1,000 reported - http://dnpric.es/?q=.buzz

There are some people that invest in these thinking I could make some money, fine, of course some people will. Then there are those that go off the deep end with bringing .com into the conversation. It's not a good look. An extension about to hit 120,000,000 regs, doesn't see the ones that can't even hit 10,000.

Last edited:
•••
Knock, Knock, reality is here:

https://namestat.org/buzz

Not even 10,000 domains, +5 for yesterday. In June, it was actually over 11,000, so numbers are down from then.

So what's your point? Did anyone in this forum ever claim .BUZZ or any of the gTLD's would or should replace the generic nothingness of the .com or .net extensions?

The primary reason for most of the gTLD's is to bring meaning to the 'Right Side of the Domain', which by definition will always be a much smaller sub-set of the domain name universe than the generic, and often times, meaningless legacy extensions like .com & .net.

P.S. You still owe me an answer for better available .com than Toledo.Cars

•••
Simple redirect is not real adoption, Full adoption is when the new GTLd is the main URL of the website and maintained though its internal pages...but once they advertise these domains ( if they do)..it will be stronger adoption...

Amazon.deals is also active and redirects to the deals section..

•••
I had a feeling Amazon would use that .blackfriday extension

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back