Dynadot

question Alternatives to Escrow.com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I noticed today upon logging into my escrow.com account that they are now requiring that all customers provide them with copies of government issued ID's. I'm not interested in trusting these people to securely store documents that could be used to steal my identity especially since they're now a foreign-owned company and also because they no longer seem terribly on the ball. Anyone have experience with some of the alternatives?

I know that snapnames and sedo offer escrow, but I've never tried either of them. Are they any good? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We just did a 30K transaction directly outside Escrow because of their new draconian style. (We would have used DN.COM but they are off for two weeks.)

My seller has done high 6 figures through Escrow.com since May 2016. More than 30 transactions. Now after their new verification process they banned his account.

Why you ask; well there was a single letter discrepancy in his first name in his passport and on his bank account. This is not an English name nor is it written in the Latin alphabet normally. So because of a small difference in the translation from one institution to another, he was banned. Further he spent days sending in documents for them to verify. All was in order until they suddenly banned first his bank account and secondly his Escrow account.

I then called them to hear if this really was the case. Got an Angela on the phone. She was downright rude, I was told that Escrow had been market leaders since 1979 and she was not worried about loosing customers. Where would we go, according to her there was no other option for us. She was rude and disrespectful and I was appalled by her reasoning. When I asked her to put it in down in writing she rejected it. She could talk smack on the phone but would not stand by it in writing.

I can only encourage all to seek alternatives to Escrow.com. They do not want our business, Angela told me herself.

Any comments @Jackson Elsegood ?

@promo

Thanks for posting this.

The final nail in the coffin for Escrow/com and domainers.

•••
We just did a 30K transaction directly outside Escrow because of their new draconian style. (We would have used DN.COM but they are off for two weeks.)

My seller has done high 6 figures through Escrow.com since May 2016. More than 30 transactions. Now after their new verification process they banned his account.

Why you ask; well there was a single letter discrepancy in his first name in his passport and on his bank account. This is not an English name nor is it written in the Latin alphabet normally. So because of a small difference in the translation from one institution to another, he was banned. Further he spent days sending in documents for them to verify. All was in order until they suddenly banned first his bank account and secondly his Escrow account.

I then called them to hear if this really was the case. Got an Angela on the phone. She was downright rude, I was told that Escrow had been market leaders since 1979 and she was not worried about loosing customers. Where would we go, according to her there was no other option for us. She was rude and disrespectful and I was appalled by her reasoning. When I asked her to put it in down in writing she rejected it. She could talk smack on the phone but would not stand by it in writing.

I can only encourage all to seek alternatives to Escrow.com. They do not want our business, Angela told me herself.

My bet is you were talking some trash to her and she stood up for herself...

I just talked to 2 young ladies at escrow today and they were as friendly as can be..

The people you speak to on the phone don't make policy so if start talking rude and disrespectful to them they have a right to give it back...

The verification issue is one thing... personal behavior is another..

Last edited:
•••
You would be wrong. I was appaled by her way of conducting herself and I just pray they record their phone calls. Hence the reason I pinged their manager and mentioned her by name.

Thanks for calling me a liar when I chose to share info though. Love that.

Only person here that is rude and disrespectful is you. You work at Escrow.com?

Last edited:
•••
Depending on the transaction we use our lawyers: They understand that domains trade like real estate so "escrow" is not new to them.

Western Union is gaining traction with us but there is a learning curve for domainers who have trust issues - and rightfully so based on the horror stories that we all know. End user buyers are usually ok as the transaction is so easy online or ON THE PHONE with their credit card to a big company that almost everybody knows.

•••
•••

Well that should seal it for almost everyone............

•••
Well that should seal it for almost everyone............
Wow that is pretty disgusting?

Where will they go?

Sedo(Escrow) Which we have been using
Paypal
Epik
Looking Into Uniregistry Market
Godaddy premium lead sales channel
Payoneer...
to name a few

As soon as Escrows transaction volume drops, so will the enterprise value of the company, and shareholders, or whoever owns it will not be to pleased.

Coming off of 2015 China surge, they would have seen some of it in 2016, 2017, I know people are using other services.

Domainers brought their business to this company, and gave them referrals for future clients, don't turn your back on that.

Last edited:
•••
My bet is you were talking some trash to her and she stood up for herself...

I just talked to 2 young ladies at escrow today and they were as friendly as can be..

The people you speak to on the phone don't make policy so if start talking rude and disrespectful to them they have a right to give it back...

The verification issue is one thing... personal behavior is another..

Rule #1, the customer is always right even if he is wrong.

Customer service is the face of the company. Never, ever, should a company representative be rude. I worked customer service jobs throughout my high-school and college years and some time thereafter for extra money. When a rep was rude, they were fired. Zero-tolerance.... though that was 40 years ago and a different world it seems.

On the outside chance that @promo was making wise remarks about that rep's mother, the rep should simply and politely refer the caller to a mend the conversation and call. I will go out on a limb and bet against you and say that @promo wasnt being rude.

My decision to use or not use escrow.com was already made before this but if it werent, it would be an easy choice now.

•••
Rule #1, the customer is always right even if he is wrong.

Customer service is the face of the company. Never, ever, should a company representative be rude. I worked customer service jobs throughout my high-school and college years and some time thereafter for extra money. When a rep was rude, they were fired. Zero-tolerance.... though that was 40 years ago and a different world it seems.

On the outside chance that @promo was making wise remarks about that rep's mother, the rep should simply and politely refer the caller to a mend the conversation and call. I will go out on a limb and bet against you and say that @promo wasnt being rude.

My decision to use or not use escrow.com was already made before this but if it werent, it would be an easy choice now.
95% of the time, the buyer is clueless about escrow, or what is is.

If we say paypal, goaddy, sedo as long as they can enter their payment, checkout, and be done they don't care.

Escrow needs to realize where these dollars, and traffic come from.

If they are going anywhere first thing they need to do is add email tracking for support tickets, they answer what they feel, when they feel.

•••
We need a system that is easy for the buyer and not intrusive for the seller.

•••
One more variant: DOMR
2% - Standard
4% - Premium (concierge)
$25 for withdrawal via international wire.

•••

Yeah!
One more variant: DOMR
2% - Standard
4% - Premium (concierge)
$25 for withdrawal via international wire.

Looks interesting, but what do we know about them?

Have you used them yet, or do you know someone who has?

•••
No, I just noticed DOMR banner here and checked their fees...

As for me, I plan to use Sedo as before and will try later Epik and Payoneer (I'm already approved there)...

•••
I am at a loss on what to use for $2500 and under transactions, as I can't put buyers thru verification shock. I verified quickly, but I know buyers are going to resist it, as I already had issue with one, who was frustrated in getting their company papers approved.

I don't understand why for credit card payments under $5K, users needs to verify, as opposed to any other online type purchase.

DOMR looks like a good platform, but I don't connect the name with Paying, or Security, the address at the bottom traces back to a care home, some clients review such things before they put their info into such companies.

Last edited:
•••
Because, as already was said, terrorists are everywhere...

•••
Use Sedo escrow...
Max. comfort for the buyers is only there.

Last edited:
•••
Anyone used the Uniregistry marketplace, it looks viable for sales under $5K, only charging up to 3.88% for credit card transactions?
One possible drawback is the Cayman Islands "stigma". Not a huge concern, most end user buyers may not even notice but some buyers coming thru the U market express concern that the biz itself is located there (before even getting to payment methods).

Last edited:
•••
•••
Anyone used the Uniregistry marketplace, it looks viable for sales under $5K, only charging up to 3.88% for credit card transactions?

https://uniregistry.com/market-fees-rules
You have to add 3% service fee too.

But if the domain you are selling is at your Uniregistry account and if it is a self-brokered sale, they are cheaper than Escrow.com's Domain Concierge Service for sales that are paid by CC or Paypal and you have more security because Uniregistry automatically take care the domain transfer. So buyer will not be frustrated because Uniregistry don't ask for photo IDs or billing proofs to the date.

Not sure how it works for the domains which are not in Uniregistry account because I haven't done such a sale yet.

Last edited:
•••
Ask your buyer to pay by Wire, if possible... and no problems.

•••
You have to add 3% service fee too.

But if the domain you are selling is at your Uniregistry account and if it is a self-brokered sale, they are cheaper than Escrow.com's Domain Concierge Service for sales that are paid by CC or Paypal and you have more security because Uniregistry automatically take care the domain transfer. So buyer will not be frustrated because Uniregistry don't ask for photo IDs or billing proofs to the date.

Not sure how it works for the domains which are not in Uniregistry account because I haven't done such a sale yet.
How is the uniregistry payout, do you have to wait until the end of the month to get paid?

•••
Ask your buyer to pay by Wire, if possible... and no problems.
Credit cards are very common practice for many north american buyers, easy to expense, and track, and finance short term.

•••
And common practice to charge 3% processing fee for CC-payments...
Sedo, Payoneer, Escrow.com are doing the same...

•••
Regarding Epik and CC - I don't know...

•••
And common practice to charge 3% processing fee for CC-payments...
Sedo, Payoneer, Escrow.com are doing the same...

I think it is just better to blend it into your service, rather than have the CC charge stick out like a sore thumb, I know a few times buyers asked me what is what, and I referred them to support, as I acted like I didn't know, they whine, but eventually pay.

The CC industry as a whole is under the radar to lower processing charges overall.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back