IT.COM

question Alternatives to Escrow.com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I noticed today upon logging into my escrow.com account that they are now requiring that all customers provide them with copies of government issued ID's. I'm not interested in trusting these people to securely store documents that could be used to steal my identity especially since they're now a foreign-owned company and also because they no longer seem terribly on the ball. Anyone have experience with some of the alternatives?

I know that snapnames and sedo offer escrow, but I've never tried either of them. Are they any good? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dynadot's money can't be withdrawn.

You're correct. Regrettably, we don't offer payouts for domains sold in our Marketplace listings. We do hope to work on this and offer a payout feature in the future as we've received many requests for it.

•••
•••
Does Godaddy require photo ID on its escrow service like escrow.com now requires?

I sure hope not.. cause up to 5k they use their own escrow.. so they can set any rules they want.... however, I did hear they use escrow.com for 5k and up.. so I'd also like ot know if they require id checks now for that? @Joe Styler
thanks!

•••
•••
•••
If it's over $5,000 then Escrow.com rules apply, correct?
GoDaddy rules are if it is over $5k and an auction yes. Most GoDaddy premium domain sales go through our internal process. Also Afternic.com has it's own rules which use an Afternic internal process for payments.

•••
GoDaddy rules are if it is over $5k and an auction yes. Most GoDaddy premium domain sales go through our internal process. Also Afternic.com has it's own rules which use an Afternic internal process for payments.

so for makeoffer/bin even if over 5k, the new escrow.com id requirments will not apply to godaddy?

•••
so for makeoffer/bin even if over 5k, the new escrow.com id requirments will not apply to godaddy?
make offer/Bin on the auctions would go to escrow. If it were listed as a premium listing (BIN) it would not go to escrow.

•••
make offer/Bin on the auctions would go to escrow. If it were listed as a premium listing (BIN) it would not go to escrow.

ok thanks. sorry to chase in circle.
I simply want to know:

because escrow.com recently started askign for some extra documents etc.. does that change in any way affect godaddy sales (of any kind and amount). or eerything is as before on godaddy regarding documents to provide, paypal payouts etc. please clarify. ty.

•••
Godaddy has not changed how it processes sales.

•••
ok thanks. sorry to chase in circle.
I simply want to know:

because escrow.com recently started askign for some extra documents etc.. does that change in any way affect godaddy sales (of any kind and amount). or eerything is as before on godaddy regarding documents to provide, paypal payouts etc. please clarify. ty.
...but you give up 20% commission fee through GD.

•••
Godaddy has not changed how it processes sales.
Is there any plan in the future to lower the 20% commission if the sale does not originate on your platform? It would be great if the 20% was lowered back down to when it was 10% a few years ago for sales that you are only performing the escrow. 20% is a high commission for only performing the transaction and nothing else.

•••
Is there any plan in the future to lower the 20% commission if the sale does not originate on your platform? It would be great if the 20% was lowered back down to when it was 10% a few years ago for sales that you are only performing the escrow. 20% is a high commission for only performing the transaction and nothing else.
No firm plans but we consider many things.

•••
Sedo offers 3% for external escrow transactions, should GoDaddy offer something similar?

•••
No firm plans but we consider many things.
I think it would be great to consider it, especially now with everything going on with Escrow.com. I believe many here would happily pay a 10% commission fee for GD to handle the transaction process on names that are registered at GD. It would be safer and simpler for both buyer and seller. Well worth the 10%!

•••
They want color docs!!! B&W won't do!

•••
They actually asked me to post them back a cheque which was months late after they failed to make wire... they asked me to pay the postage on the cheque back but they would refund (!)... (apparently they switched bank accounts)...just one thing... the cheque never actually even arrived! I really need a lot of whiskey this weekend!!!

•••
I think it would be great to consider it, especially now with everything going on with Escrow.com. I believe many here would happily pay a 10% commission fee for GD to handle the transaction process on names that are registered at GD. It would be safer and simpler for both buyer and seller. Well worth the 10%!
It costs 0% at Epik (on names that are registered there).
1.5% for other registrars.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Since Sedo only offers 3% with easy process for the buyer, then why don't we all migrate there for our selling solutions? I never used them, but i'm trying to understand why Sedo is not a good choice. 3% is huge different from 10% or Godaddy's extreme 20%.

Last edited:
•••
I will be trying Sedo for my next sale. Will report what I experience afterward.........

Since Sedo only offers 3% with easy process for the buyer, then why don't we all migrate there for our selling solutions? I never used them, but i'm trying to understand why Sedo is not a good choice. 3% is huge different from 10% or Godaddy's extreme 20%.

•••

From Sedo's Price List page:
https://sedo.com/us/what-we-offer/price-list-for-services/
The applicant is charged a fee of 3% of the gross selling price (note the minimum fee).

Top Level Domains (TLD) - Category I
Minimum fee 60 USD, minimum sales price 90 USD

In other words, using Sedo's transfer service, a sale price of anything less than $2000 (gross) will result in an effective fee greater than 3%. The lower the selling price, the higher the effective rate will be.

Last edited:
•••
From Sedo's Price List page:
https://sedo.com/us/what-we-offer/price-list-for-services/

In other words, using Sedo's transfer service, a sale price of anything less than $2000 (gross) will result in an effective fee greater than 3%. The lower the selling price, the higher the effective rate will be.

This is true, but keep in mind that Sedo Transfer Service is more like Escrow Concierge Service (and Escrow charges about double their regular fee when using Escrow Concierge Service)

•••
This is true, but keep in mind that Sedo Transfer Service is more like Escrow Concierge Service (and Escrow charges about double their regular fee when using Escrow Concierge Service)
I was just trying to point out to those that take things at face value and don't explore the finer details that using Sedo's transfer service may not be the best option when selling a $100 domain as they would net only $40 out of the deal and not $97 that a simple, "Sedo only charges a 3% transaction fee", might imply.

Last edited:
•••
I thought it was no big deal to submit this info, so I did it with no problem. Then had a transaction done through escrow.com and wished I had 1.) never submitted my DL 2.) done the transaction with them. Their customer service is virtually incompetent and extremely rude, their service is very slow and not at all worth even the 3% commission they charge.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back