IT.COM

question Alternatives to Escrow.com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I noticed today upon logging into my escrow.com account that they are now requiring that all customers provide them with copies of government issued ID's. I'm not interested in trusting these people to securely store documents that could be used to steal my identity especially since they're now a foreign-owned company and also because they no longer seem terribly on the ball. Anyone have experience with some of the alternatives?

I know that snapnames and sedo offer escrow, but I've never tried either of them. Are they any good? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I would suggest using a company that is licensed to perform escrow transactions and transfer money. Of course I am partial and feel Payoneer is the company that can best provide these services. Send a PM or ask any questions here and we will get back to you. And we are a US company :)

•••
•••
I would suggest using a company that is licensed to perform escrow transactions and transfer money. Of course I am partial and feel Payoneer is the company that can best provide these services. Send a PM or ask any questions here and we will get back to you. And we are a US company :)

Hi Brandon. Thank you for the reply. I've been looking at payoneer and the service looks interesting. I like the fact that your rates are pretty low. What I'm not in love with is that the only form of payment you accept is bank wire. I also would be happier if you offered the option to put the domain into escrow as is available with some of the other services. In any case, I have 3 questions for now:

1) Would your API allow me to create Buy It Now buttons similar to what is available on Escrow.com?
2) Do you require copies of passports or driver's licenses, etc.?
3) Do you offer the option to receive funds via ACH?

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••

I have already an account with you and I have 2 questions/suggestions

- increase the amount payable via CC
- is there a way to set the "inspection time" to 1 day or less at the moment when the transaction/escrow is initiated?

2) Do you require copies of passports or driver's licenses, etc.?

I did not have to submit any documents to Payoneer Escrow but you have to if you want a Payoneer account ( exactly like you do with PayPal )

•••
- increase the amount payable via CC
- is there a way to set the "inspection time" to 1 day or less at the moment when the transaction/escrow is initiated?

Thanks for the insight. I didn't see anything on their site about accepting credit cards for any amount. What is their present CC limit? Also, what is the inspection period? I honestly don't understand why any inspection period is necessary for a domain the way it's needed for physical goods.

•••
I didn't see anything on their site about accepting credit cards for any amount

You are right. I think I have read it here on the forum in a thread but maybe they have removed it.
If it so they should definitely bring the payment back otherwise international transactions will be delayed and penalized.

I found the thread. Scroll down and you will see @Brandon Abbey' s reply about the 2000$ via CC
https://www.namepros.com/threads/payoneer-escrow-feedback.984969/

Last edited:
•••
I used Escrow.com for around 14 years. I never needed them to verify who I was buying domains from and don't need them to do that now.

I verify I am buying from the real owners myself. We just need a middleman to hold the funds (Escrow).

This uploading ID, proof of address, and/or corp docs for businesses all gets difficult when buying domains from non-domainers and unsavvy internet users.

I hear Payoneer makes you do the same thing. True Brandon?

Maybe Sedo doesn't...?

•••
•••
photonmymind said:
I did not have to submit any documents to Payoneer Escrow but you have to if you want a Payoneer account ( exactly like you do with PayPal )

So are you saying you can do escrow with them without having an account?

•••
So are you saying you can do escrow with them without having an account?

No, it is not what I said. You do not need to upload documents to use / sign up for payoneer escrow BUT you will have to upload documents if you want a Payoneer account. They are 2 different things.
Payoneer account though is the fastest way to have your funds disbursed to so it's recommended to have one...

https://escrow.payoneer.com/escrow/escrow-payments-faq

•••
Doesn't make much sense. Will wait for Brandon's reply.

•••
@Brandon Abbey
Is it correct that for a Payoneer Escrow transaction the seller needs a Payoneer account, but the buyer does not?

Last edited:
•••
I signed up for a regular payoneer account.
I also signed up for the Payoneer escrow account and have it set to ACH so goes straight to bank account.
Haven't used either yet but I will be trying them both soon in the near future.
I don't recall submitting any docs for either account so maybe a location based requirement (I'm in USA) or Brandon just said I know this dude he's badass. :ROFL:

•••
•••
Thanks. If true, I'm totally done with Escrow.com. Reading more about Payoneer. I heard about them, but didn't think they were reputable, but now seeing that they have quite a big client base, for a variety of services...

•••
Sedo (3% or min. $60, any party can pay) - TRUE and the most comfortable escrow...
Epik (0% for their domains and 1.5% for others)
GOLEM.EU (3% - should be paid by Buyer)

Last edited:
•••
Could someone tell: does SEDO require the buyer to have a Sedo account? Thanks!

•••
Yes, the buyer should have a Sedo account...
Just 2-3 mins to register it if needed.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, the buyer should have a Sedo account...
Just 2-3 mins to register it if needed.
Also the Sedo transaction is fast - can be 24 hours, whereas Escrow.com make you wait at least 3 days.

•••
My recent experience with Sedo external escrow service (for domains sold outside their marketplace): 3% fee, fast support, deal started on January 2nd, closed today.

•••
OMG this is going off the charts. Just submit your id. What are you afraid of? You are using escrow only when you are selling domains with big bucks, not 50$ domains. And when i say big, I say thousands+.
I submitted my id to paypal long time ago and nothing happen, it's nothing wrong to get verified.
There are laws in every country for personal character information disclosure. Escrow is a company, is not a website made by a kid during the night. They are governed by laws.

•••
Just submit your id. What are you afraid of?

Providing your driver's license could put you at risk of identity theft

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/12/drivers-license-identity-theft/index.htm

“It’s a terrible, terrible practice," said Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center. "To begin with, it’s easily a contributor to identity theft, and it’s unnecessary.”

http://www.pcworld.com/article/136120/article.html

Information to Keep Private
Almost Never Provide Your...
Driver's license
Though your state's Department of Motor Vehicles site may require you to enter this information, no other site should

•••
So we will receive the new database: Escrow.com papers...

•••
Back