IT.COM

question Alternatives to Escrow.com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I noticed today upon logging into my escrow.com account that they are now requiring that all customers provide them with copies of government issued ID's. I'm not interested in trusting these people to securely store documents that could be used to steal my identity especially since they're now a foreign-owned company and also because they no longer seem terribly on the ball. Anyone have experience with some of the alternatives?

I know that snapnames and sedo offer escrow, but I've never tried either of them. Are they any good? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wire is also fast, usually within 2 business days.

•••
How is the uniregistry payout, do you have to wait until the end of the month to get paid?

According to their payout example "You earn $1,000 in the month of January
Your earnings are eligible to be paid at the end of February"

But I got paid in the same month for the I sale did early December 2016. :xf.wink:
I don't know the reason why they paid like that.

Minimum payout limits can be seen in your Uniregistry market account. For wire transfer it is $250. I got entire money after their transaction fee amount without facing any intermediary bank fee for the wire transfer. :xf.smile:
Turn on monthly auto payout and you have zero cost for withdrawals.

Last edited:
•••
$15 wire fee at Payoneer...
Under $20 I have at Sedo...

Last edited:
•••
According to their payout example "You earn $1,000 in the month of January
Your earnings are eligible to be paid at the end of February"

But I got paid in the same month for the I sale did early December 2016. :xf.wink:
I don't know the reason why they paid like that.

Minimum payout limits can be seen in your Uniregistry market account. For wire transfer it is $250. I got entire money after their transaction fee amount without facing any intermediary bank fee for the wire transfer. :xf.smile:
Payout fees
After a once-monthly free transfer the following fees apply for payouts:

• Fee for payouts by wire transfer: $40
  • Fee for payouts by PayPal: $10

•••
Wire is also fast, usually within 2 business days.
Wire is alot more work, compared to entering your credit card #, and going. Some banks charge $25 to send a wire payment.

•••
Payout fees
After a once-monthly free transfer the following fees apply for payouts:

• Fee for payouts by wire transfer: $40
  • Fee for payouts by PayPal: $10

That's for additional requests.

•••

That's for additional requests.
Well I don't want to wait 1 month to get paid, say you make a sale on Feb 1, you are not going to get paid until March 1st for it, that kind of sucks.

•••
Some banks charge $25 to send a wire payment.
3% of $2,500 is $75.
So even $25 for wire is 3 times cheaper than CC-processing.

•••
3% of $2,500 is $75.
So even $25 for wire is 3 times cheaper than CC-processing.
I understand, but wires usually require a different option, and entering of certain data. North American buyers from my experience want to enter their CC, and not worry about paying for it until the following month, and be done with it. It is what online purchasing was all about. We are simply complicating things now.

•••
I can send wire within minutes via my online banking panel... in Ukraine...

•••
Uniregistry payout rules, take some serious reading to figure out

Payouts to sellers

Get paid easily and with minimum fuss.

• Uniregistry pays the seller their net proceeds from a sale 1 business day after the completion of a transaction for a fee, subject to fully cleared funds.
  • Payouts may be deferred to a single weekly payout for a fee.
  • Payouts may be paid once monthly following a 30-day minimum hold at no charge to the seller.

•••
I can send wire within minutes via my online banking panel... in Ukraine...
No, I totally understand, but many people live off credit cards, many buyers use credit cards to finance purchases as they don't have cash on hand to do so with wires.

•••
Well I don't want to wait 1 month to get paid, say you make a sale on Feb 1, you are not going to get paid until March 1st for it, that kind of sucks.
Hmmm... If a buyer don't like to go through a disgusting photo ID and billing proof verification process, we have to go for such alternatives and give some commitments IMO.

•••
Usually in 4-figure range the domains are purchased by companies... so wire is elementary for them...
Regarding some individuals - is hard to sell even for $500 nowadays...
OK, just my own experience.

Last edited:
•••
Uniregistry payout rules, take some serious reading to figure out

Payouts to sellers

Get paid easily and with minimum fuss.

• Uniregistry pays the seller their net proceeds from a sale 1 business day after the completion of a transaction for a fee, subject to fully cleared funds.
  • Payouts may be deferred to a single weekly payout for a fee.
  • Payouts may be paid once monthly following a 30-day minimum hold at no charge to the seller.
For me, I can wait for that no cost payout which I can save the money I earned. :greedy::greedy:

•••
•••
•••
No, I totally understand, but many people live off credit cards, many buyers use credit cards to finance purchases as they don't have cash on hand to do so with wires.
Exactly, Americans in particular like to use credit cards. Get your own merchant account :)

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
I would suggest using a company that is licensed to perform escrow transactions and transfer money. Of course I am partial and feel Payoneer is the company that can best provide these services. Send a PM or ask any questions here and we will get back to you. And we are a US company :)

Thanks!
I really didn't know about Payoneer as I'm still quite new to the domain industry.

•••
Yes, because a publicly editable wiki submission will be sure to quell the conerns of a buyer already paranoid enough to not want to do biz with the Cayman Islands. Swing and a miss there Jurgen.
Look at References section for this article...

•••
Just completed second sale via Sedo external escrow in 2017. Started yesterday, credit note issued today. No IDs/utility bills/maiden name of my grandma/domain name written in assembly language etc.

Also completed two regular Sedo sales this week - took 1-2 days to complete - pleased with fast service by Sedo support!

•••
I just read this on THEDOMAINS.COM

1. 3104a8e98a5b8c5fefa153369e2d11ef
    Brandon Abbey says

February 21, 2017 at 11:32 am

Please consider this a personal observation from a former employee (escrow 11+ years, freelancer maybe a week) and not that of a competitor.

The Good – Mauli Fry and that escrow.com has “encouraged” other companies to enter and successfully compete in this niche market.

The Bad – Senior management. In the past year the company stock price has gone from $1.80/share to $0.81/share. S & P ASX 200 (Australian market) is up 17.2%. Know Your Customer roll out, lack of transparency and general practices. You can’t take a customer focused company and run it using analytics. Customers are people, not numbers.

The Ugly – Managing to take an A+ rating at the Better Business Bureau to an F in 15 months.

This will be my last post regarding escrow.com. On to bigger and better things.

•••
Although my experiences with Escrow.com until now had been fine, they are now a nightmare!

I agreed to sell a domain over 2 weeks ago. I gave the buyer choice of Escrow.com or Payoneer. He chose Escrow.com - but I suspect he will never do that again!

Buyer transferred payment 2 weeks ago, but the link they sent him calculated wrong amount.
Once they figure that out and tell him the shortage, he sends that amount.
No update from Escrow.com.
We talk to support - they claim they never received the (Paypal) payment.
Buyer sends Paypal confirmation.
3 Days later - still no update from Escrow.com
Sent email - no response.
Called support - on hold for half an hour then disconnected.
Decided to contact them on Twitter or Facebook - those accounts have been dormant for several months!

WTF?!?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back