Dynadot

discuss Alert! Possible scam email...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

skypreet

Restricted (Market)
Impact
Hi, I just got an email from someone that he wants to buy my domain and I believe this is a scam. This is the email I received today. I am not mentioning my domain name and his name because I am not sure if it is scam and without knowing I will not defame anyone. This might be scam and so you all please beware...Don't ask me my domain name because I know my domain is not that worth and its just a simple dictionary word with .ORG tld.... :D ;) BTW, he mailed from a gmail account which made me think this is scam. Here is the email..

Hello!

I represent an investor from Canada. He needs "my domain name" for his new project. The project will be launched in August.

My client would be prepared to pay a sum between $7000 and US $17000 to secure this domain name.

Time is of the essence as he needs to secure the domain name as soon as possible, so his Corporate Communications department can prepare the relevant logos and letterheads.
I am available to discuss this transaction at your earliest convenience. I look forward to your reply.

If you have more domain names for sale, please email me the list. I may help you to find buyers for them.

Regards,
XXXX
YYYY

Has anybody got such email? After seeing his email, I replied to him.

Hi XXXX,
Thanks for enquiring about the domain.. "my domain name" is available on Sedo.com for purchase..
You can directly search the domain and pay for the price tag listed there. This is for our security and feasible transaction.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank You,
Sky

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Alert!! Alert!! Its a Scam! Its a Scam!
Good you dint feel for that obvious scam.
There are already many threads of such mails.
Delete and go to sleep.

•••
It's a scam.

Let me take a guess. This is a new reg domain.

They changed their tacticts. After "working" for investors from Dubai and the Middle East. Now they are working for Canadian investors.

Tell him to f... off

•••
Yeah...it was a new reg domain.... I wish everyone beware.. :)

•••
I get these infrequently, genuine end user inquiries tend to be short and informal.

•••
The first give away that this is a scam is that anyone negotiating for something is not going to tell you their maximum amount of $$$ they are willing to spend.

"My client would be prepared to pay a sum between $7000 and US $17000 to secure this domain name."

If they were representing someone like this, they are not going to tell you their client can spend up to $xxxx or whatever. This would tell the domain owner to keep their price on the higher end.

A serious inquiry might start by asking what you are wanting for the domain, not hey, I have this much, would you like it all?

•••
Yup, just another scam email.. lol

•••
Got an email last night...he wants me to get a domain appraisal certificate..

My reply to him... "F*** off".. ;)

•••
•••
exactly the same email I received. don't know how they find emails.. whois probably. :|

•••
Got an email last night...he wants me to get a domain appraisal certificate..

My reply to him... "F*** off".. ;)
Since he is representing a Canadian investor you have to add "eh" to the end of your statement. ;)

•••
•••
exactly the same email I received. don't know how they find emails.. whois probably. :|
Yeah, there are a lot of scammers out there that get info from whois searches.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back