Dynadot

About Best Registrar Polls

NameSilo
Watch

Should we do it at the end of the year?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

• No

• Maybe

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Windoms

Top Member
Impact
I think best registrar polls should be at the end of the year.

2016 poll was in march. Godaddy won, 52%. Thread by @JB Lions .
2017 poll was in november. Godaddy won 29.8%. Thread by @equity78
There was no poll in 2018.
2019 poll was in june. Namesilo won 24.4%.
2020 poll was in march. Epik won 26.9%.

Here is my idea.
Start poll on the 1st day of december and end it on the last 31st day of december, or from 1st to 15th or 15th to 31st.

So that going into the new year, we can look back and decide who the best registrar was.
Leave it open for a whole month and keep debating so that everyone can see it and vote.
Have public votes (we can see who's voting for who), results only viewable after voting.

Imo its better than march or september polls.
Make it Best Registrar of the Year, so it would make sense to have it at the end of the year.

You'd even have registrars try to bribe us with juicy promotions at the end of the year if they had a date to go by.

With mysterious newcomers, Godaddy finally innovating, DAN brewing serious coffee, Epik in the lab, SAV in the schemes, Namesilo launching their new marketplace (forgot the name), dynadot being efficient and thus able to throw any bomb at any time, 2021 will be exciting to see.

But that would be December 2021.

Last one was March 2020, it's now December 2020, and December 2021 feels like a century ahead.

The question for the poll is, should we do it at the end of year; not should we make another one for 2020.

I am not looking to remove epik's title, they already won, pubicly, from june 2019 to march 2020, it's fact in history, nothing can change it.

But for the sake of far away december 2021 itchy feet syndrome, maybe we could have another one, or not.

In both cases, if we decide to move Namepros Best Registrar of the Year award to the month of December.

If we do, have $1 .com and 0% commission bribes ready in october @Paul Nicks @DAN.COM @Rob Monster @Nick R , @namesilo , @Dynadot .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I voted yes, makes sense to have it at the end of the year - unless there is some reason for having it in March that I/we are unaware of.......

If it moves to December just wait until then in 2021 to not confuse the issue......not a big deal to wait a few extra months

•••
I voted yes, makes sense to have it at the end of the year - unless there is some reason for having it in March that I/we are unaware of.......
2016 was by @JB Lions in march.
2017 by @equity78 in november.
No poll in 2018.

I guess it's first person to pull the trigger so we might as well have it organized so that there's no room for ambiguity.

•••
forgot the name
Was not waiting for that hahaha "forgot the name", It's on the homepage at the top :xf.grin:
We are probably not hearing about it enough though, the site is not very user friendly

But for the "$1 .com 0% com" bribes, not sure that will happen sadly. When registrars compete against each another, the users usually wins but now it just feels like they are all on a strike. Not many promo deals on .com from the usual players on nP

•••
I still think we should have another one.
Would be extra interesting to see where sav and dynadot now stand compared to others.

Lots of things have changed. Godaddy has increased discount domain club price. Epik has been having some turmoils, people seem loyal to them.

Also last one had uni and godaddy merged as one. They should have definitly been seperate.

Would be very interesting to see, and ideally not in one year because its already been 9months, which is almost a year.

•••
Best registrar polls? What for? Last time it was an unfair show, as staff members were allowed to participate. (nothing personal). Sorry, but when a staff member of a particular registrar participates and votes for his employer in the poll, but his recent personal handregs voluntary reported in <showcase your "trending subject" domains> thread are with a competing registrar - it is a joke.

At least, there should be an option for any REGISTRAR to withdraw themseleves from such a poll. As it would be natural for any registrar not to participate in an unfair competition, However, such option is technically impossible, so...

Last edited:
•••
Was not waiting for that hahaha "forgot the name", It's on the homepage at the top :xf.grin:
We are probably not hearing about it enough though, the site is not very user friendly

But for the "$1 .com 0% com" bribes, not sure that will happen sadly. When registrars compete against each another, the users usually wins but now it just feels like they are all on a strike. Not many promo deals on .com from the usual players on nP
I know it wont happen lol but one delusional guy might pull the "its the merry christmas spirit for namepros at our registrar" type of stint.

Be delusional
@Paul Nicks @DAN.COM @Rob Monster @Dynadot @namesilo @Nick R
download.png

Best registrar polls? What for? Last time it was an unfair show, as staff members were allowed to participate. (nothing personal). Sorry, but when a staff member of a particular registrar participates and votes for his employer in the poll, but his recent personal handregs in <showcase your "trending subject" domains> thread are with a competing registrar - it is a joke.

At least, there should be an option for any REGISTRAR to withdraw themseleves from such a poll. As it would be natural for any registrar not to participate in an unfair competition, However, such option is technically impossible, so...
Last one had epik 246 votes dynadot 224 votes godaddy 120 votes.
Picture is clear. With or without employees.
We could debate the epik vs dynadot thing but whatever.
At the end of the day whoever's making a good job in the eyes of people will be ahead. Just leave poll open for a month, have public votes, encourage everyone to vote.

•••
(forgot the name)

How can you forget the name when they spent more money on Namepros ads than on actual product development

Last edited:
•••
How can you forget the name when they spent more money on Namepros ads than on actual product development
There you answered my question.
I was wondering how I got to know about them since I have no domains at namesilo and I never use them.
Thank you.

That being said I still dont know the name. Following @Gube advice I visited namesilo's homepage, cant find it. Pulled basic menu, cant find it.
Namepros ads, Im seeing dynadot.
Still a mystery.

•••
There you answered my question.
I was wondering how I got to know about them since I have no domains at namesilo and I never use them.
Thank you.

That being said I still dont know the name. Following @Gube advice I visited namesilo's homepage, cant find it. Pulled basic menu, cant find it.
Namepros ads, Im seeing dynadot.
Still a mystery.
Yes, they don't even show it on their own homepage. But it's at the top of many nP pages (if you don't have an adblocker)
That ad placement must be costy as griff mentionned it
upload_2020-12-12_14-59-3.png

Maybe the colors don't make it stand out enough, possible

•••
Yes, they don't even show it on their own homepage. But it's at the top of many nP pages (if you don't have an adblocker)
That ad placement must be costy as griff mentionned it
Show attachment 176211
Maybe the colors don't make it stand out enough, possible
Namelot there you go.
Forgot how bad it was.

•••
We could also have it twice a year. So that maybe registrars can see changes and adjust accordingly. This would be better for us as one who sees his score drop is going to try and make efforts.

That point is very important.

In one years time its going to be a completely whole different situation.

Godaddy has increased discount club price, but has offered free privacy.
Epik lost paypal and afternic, but people seem loyal to them.
Dynadot namesilo could both be ahead of godaddy and epik with recent changes.
No one can say who's going to win, which makes it even more interesting.

We could also have another one for best landers in the business.
Godaddy vs dan vs epik vs uni vs sedo vs own lander etc.. Its quite unclear who the winner would be.

Best lander includes everything from design to payment processing, broker availability, etc..

Not that it would influence how I or someone would feel about a particular lander, but it would be very interesting to know the results.

Talking about it, we could have a best lander poll right now and have it end on december 31st, public votes, results viewable after voting.
@equity78

•••
Epik all day everyday.

Last edited:
•••
My point above is very important.
Registrars being able to see their shift in score in real time, every 6 months, especially compared to others, and making efforts.
Both lander, and registrar polls.
Huge benefit for us.

Instead of registrars waking up in one year to see YZ owning the market.
Polls come with debates, insight for them.
They see whats wrong with them, they adjust.
They each have their seperate official threads on namepros where they get feedback.

But real time feedback every 6 months compared to others is huge benefit for us.

•••
Great idea. Its like deciding whats the nicest car you drove this year in march.
Epik employee thing never bothered me.
Were all human and get 1 vote
One vote, cant be changed.
View after you vote.
Vote, post reason, hopefully no fraud accusations like the usa election if a new king is crowned.

•••
Great idea. Its like deciding whats the nicest car you drove this year in march.
Fact. Should be Registrar of the Year, held at the end of the year.

@Bob Hawkes is also welcome to start polls. I tagged @equity78 because his voice weighs.
But so does Bob's, everyone agrees with Bob.
You are welcome to start the best lander thread.
Starting december 15th. Ending december 31st.
We have time to elaborate the full list of contenders.

•••
Starting december 15th. Ending december 31st.
We have time to elaborate the full list of contenders.
That would help to avoid forgetting a few providers because it was written too fast, and due to polls limitations

•••
That would help to avoid forgetting a few providers because it was written too fast, and due to polls limitations
Exactly, the likes of DomainAgents.

Also, forget about two polls a year.
Lets have one official Award at the end of the year, which awards the best registrar for a given year.
And maybe another unnoficial mid year poll, just to remind registrars they have to work.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

who cares, except the fan boys
and whoever wins wouldn't make a difference in what registrar i use now.

pole that %

imo....

•••
Hi

who cares, except the fan boys
and whoever wins wouldn't make a difference in what registrar i use now.

pole that %

imo....

Why you always pull up gloomy and bitter?

See here.
Hi

i think before you can advise others on whom to trust and who is reputable....

that you'd have to have earned trust, and garnered a good reputation in the community, before anyone can believe or trust, that what you .recommend is sound advice.

if you don't know jack :poop: about how to negotiate or have a track record, etc, then what you say has little weight to those who do.

and if you did have such skills and track record, then you wouldn't be hyping somebody else to negotiate for others.

just saying....

imo….

We're just trying to improve things here lol.

Not that it would influence how I or someone would feel about a particular lander, but it would be very interesting to know the results.

pole that %
Are you alright?

•••
I think end of year has merits for reasons you give, and some kind of smaller update poll in between, perhaps. One way to make sure that the mid year one does not detract from importance of the annual one is to instead of a favourite promote it as who has improved or gotten worse lately (two polls) and the discussion would be feedback for the registrars about their recent changes.

One difficulty is deciding which registrars to include, as the number of poll choices is less than number of registrars used by community. We should start perhaps with the top 10 from last year's vote, and then ask members to suggest others from which 10 would be chosen (if indeed 20 is limit, I don't know).

Will await for @equity78 thoughts, as he has spearheaded last couple of polls.

Thanks for the ideas and initiative @Windoms.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I think end of year has merits for reasons you give, and some kind of smaller update poll in between, perhaps. One way to make sure that the mid year one does not detract from importance of the annual one is to instead of a favourite promote it as who has improved or gotten worse lately (two polls) and the discussion would be feedback for the registrars.

One difficulty is deciding which registrars to include, as the number of poll choices is less than number of registrars used by community.

Will await for @equity78 thoughts, as he has spearheaded last couple of polls.

Thanks for the ideas and initiative @Windoms.

Bob
Well I guess we go by most popular registrar, if theres a limit on choices.

Suggestion for best lander poll.
Allow multiple votes with maximum selectable responses set at 2.
So that we can vote for 2 different landers.
1 choice is very hard for landers.

Registrar poll can remain at 1 selection.
Your best registrar is always your best registrar.
Your best lander depends, domain price, quality, bin, etc..

If you ask me to choose between afternic and dan, Id say its very hard.
I use and prefer Uniregistry for the record.

So maybe allow 2 choices.
But not 3.

•••
Registrar poll can remain at 1 selection.
I realize goal is to get one winner, but I wonder if we should at least discuss allowing 2 or 3 choices. Yes, if you really like just 1 then it works well, but if several are almost tied overall, which is how I personally felt last year, being able to vote for several makes sense, to me at least :xf.grin:. The best, but I don't think NamePros technical makes it possible, would be a preferential poll where you indicated first, second and third choices.
Bob

•••
One way to make sure that the mid year one does not detract from importance of the annual one is to instead of a favourite promote it as who has improved or gotten worse lately (two polls) and the discussion would be feedback for the registrars about their recent changes.
Great idea.
Like which registrar needs to feel worried (lol) type of poll question. And have debates on the subject (multiple selectable answers).

I realize goal is to get one winner, but I wonder if we should at least discuss allowing 2 or 3 choices. Yes, if you really like just 1 then it works well, but if several are almost tied overall, which is how I personally felt last year, being able to vote for several makes sense, to me at least :xf.grin:. The best, but I don't think NamePros technical makes it possible, would be a preferential poll where you indicated first, second and third choices.
Bob
I really think its best to have 1 choice for registrars but lets see what people think.
The best registrar in the business by public vote being such a big deal, it would be best to allow 1 choice so that there's no ambiguity as who the winner is.

Example
Allow 1 choice
Ask people whose your best registrar.
Epik comes first.

Allow 2 choices.
Some vote epik dynadot.
Others godaddy dynadot.
in the end Dynadot comes first.

You get a false result.
We want the result to be rock solid.
So 1 choice is the way to go, in my honest opinion.
Preferential poll would solve the issue, but cant be done as its not currently available.
Might be for 2021.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back