Dynadot

About Best Registrar Polls

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should we do it at the end of the year?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

• No

• Maybe

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Windoms

Top Member
Impact
I think best registrar polls should be at the end of the year.

2016 poll was in march. Godaddy won, 52%. Thread by @JB Lions .
2017 poll was in november. Godaddy won 29.8%. Thread by @equity78
There was no poll in 2018.
2019 poll was in june. Namesilo won 24.4%.
2020 poll was in march. Epik won 26.9%.

Here is my idea.
Start poll on the 1st day of december and end it on the last 31st day of december, or from 1st to 15th or 15th to 31st.

So that going into the new year, we can look back and decide who the best registrar was.
Leave it open for a whole month and keep debating so that everyone can see it and vote.
Have public votes (we can see who's voting for who), results only viewable after voting.

Imo its better than march or september polls.
Make it Best Registrar of the Year, so it would make sense to have it at the end of the year.

You'd even have registrars try to bribe us with juicy promotions at the end of the year if they had a date to go by.

With mysterious newcomers, Godaddy finally innovating, DAN brewing serious coffee, Epik in the lab, SAV in the schemes, Namesilo launching their new marketplace (forgot the name), dynadot being efficient and thus able to throw any bomb at any time, 2021 will be exciting to see.

But that would be December 2021.

Last one was March 2020, it's now December 2020, and December 2021 feels like a century ahead.

The question for the poll is, should we do it at the end of year; not should we make another one for 2020.

I am not looking to remove epik's title, they already won, pubicly, from june 2019 to march 2020, it's fact in history, nothing can change it.

But for the sake of far away december 2021 itchy feet syndrome, maybe we could have another one, or not.

In both cases, if we decide to move Namepros Best Registrar of the Year award to the month of December.

If we do, have $1 .com and 0% commission bribes ready in october @Paul Nicks @DAN.COM @Rob Monster @Nick R , @namesilo , @Dynadot .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just to be clear.
"You get a false result."
What I meant is if you allow 2 votes.

Some vote epik dynadot with epik being rock solid favorite, and dynadot another registrar they simply like.
Others votes godaddy dynadot with godaddy being rock solid favorite.

Technically the best will be epik or godaddy.
But instead you'll get dynadot as the winner, if you allow 2 votes. In reality, they were just a side appriciated registrar.
Not a rock solid best registrar with substance.
So you get a false result.

•••
End of the year makes sense.

Epik all day everyday.

I prefer registrars that can take PayPal and are in the Afternic fast transfer network. ;)

Brad

•••
I like end of year as well. The first one I started was only done in March because it was a question people kept asking, so I figured let's do it and see, didn't want to wait another 9 months. But a Dec 15 (or now) - Jan 15 sounds good. Public vote for transparency. No employee voting, no advertising in the thread by registrars. So we don't run into the same problems as the last one. Also, up to 3 votes like the original one. There are a few registrars I like pretty evenly, so hard to pick just one.

Last edited:
•••
Why you always pull up gloomy and bitter?
Hi
not gloomy or bitter about it at all
it's true from my perspective and others as well

We're just trying to improve things here lol.
Hi

a pole, won't improve things here, unless those who swing on it, can make the changes or improvements necessary.
and the more you talk about structure of it, the more biases you may discover within.

who is chosen as best registrar, depends on those who vote
and where those who voted keep, or register their names, is only relevant if i want to buy one.

and such information is readily available, when you know the domain.

Are you alright?

Hi

i'm as cool
as kool in the gang
but please.. don't let what i say
stop you, from doing your thang

:)

puff, puff....

imo....

Last edited:
•••
Poll anytime...

One question not asked or answered...

who owns np?

Cheers
Corey

•••
I think end of year has merits for reasons you give, and some kind of smaller update poll in between, perhaps. One way to make sure that the mid year one does not detract from importance of the annual one is to instead of a favourite promote it as who has improved or gotten worse lately (two polls) and the discussion would be feedback for the registrars about their recent changes.

One difficulty is deciding which registrars to include, as the number of poll choices is less than number of registrars used by community. We should start perhaps with the top 10 from last year's vote, and then ask members to suggest others from which 10 would be chosen (if indeed 20 is limit, I don't know).

Will await for @equity78 thoughts, as he has spearheaded last couple of polls.

Thanks for the ideas and initiative @Windoms.

Bob

I think that end of the year works Bob. I think the number of registrars might be just to appease some or feel not left out. But we can add just about everyone will make it a longer poll.

When it comes to domain investors, year in and year out, there is

NameSilo
GoDaddy
Epik
Dynadot
NameCheap
Porkbun
Name.com
Uniregistry but as a GoDaddy owned entity do we want them listed separately?

DAN could disrupt that with their new registrar. But for the three people who say what about ClouldFlare or Google? It's not a meaningful number that affects the vote.

There are plenty of others you can list so people don't feel left out but they are not going to get many votes.

The multiple vote or one vote for what is the really only prestigious award that comes out of this community can be voted on in Namepros Info and suggestions, we can vote that the rest of this year, I will put up a poll and it will ask for Namepros Registrar of the year do you like one selection or up to 3 selections. I think @Windoms makes a good point, someone might include a second one and they get a lot of second place votes that count as first place in the poll. But we will leave that up to everyone to decide.

The flipside, some don't like this poll and look to demean it or think it's worthless. In the grand scheme of things it's not that big, but for a little industry like this winners (outside of GoDaddy) have noted it, I have been on stock forums that discussed the year NameSilo won for example.

If there is going to be a lot of negativity I say skip it.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I thought this was supposed to be for December 2021?

•••
I thought this was supposed to be for December 2021?

That would have been a year and 9 months between polls. This gets it back on a yearly schedule with suggestions implemented.

Last edited:
•••
That would have been a year and 9 months between polls.

The whole dialogue of the whole thread was that it would be a year end poll.

•••
•••
2020 Registrar is already won, and 2021 will not be decided now.

•••
@Windoms what you were talking about will still happen so no worries there.

•••
2020 Registrar is already won, and 2021 will not be decided now.

You decided 2020 in March? Like I said, gets it back on schedule.

Or should edit the title and make it a true 2020 poll.

Last edited:
•••
You decided 2020 in March? Like I said, gets it back on schedule.

I kept in the timeline of the first one and tie it into March Madness, then we just had a thread where people said they wanted a December 2021 poll. Ending in 2021 would be the 2021 winner. Ending in 2020 is what? 2020 winner already decided.

•••
I kept in the timeline of the first one and tie it into March Madness, then we just had a thread where people said they wanted a December 2021 poll. Ending in 2021 would be the 2021 winner. Ending in 2020 is what? 2020 winner already decided.

Like I said in March? You don't have to vote. I put it at 2020, get it back on track.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Hence the year change.

Yeah but we can't take away the 2020 winner under the old system, no one discussed end of year until @Windoms. So Epik already had the title.

•••
I like end of year as well. The first one I started was only done in March because it was a question people kept asking, so I figured let's do it and see, didn't want to wait another 9 months. But a Dec 15 (or now) - Jan 15 sounds good. Public vote for transparency. No employee voting, no advertising in the thread by registrars. So we don't run into the same problems as the last one. Also, up to 3 votes like the original one. There are a few registrars I like pretty evenly, so hard to pick just one.
Well said :)

The discussion (and the poll by itself) makes sense with "no empoloyee voting" rule only. Imo. If so, the next question would be - what, if any, newer technical poll options to do exist at this time? @equity78 For example, it would be useful to to hide the results before poll ends. Like in real life elections :) This would eliminate a lot of non-productive comments in poll thread. Yeah, any member should still be allowed to disclose his preference(s) in comments if he likes, but the total results (top part) would be hidden if the poll is still open. Poll closed ==> all results are public and transparent.

Uniregistry but as a GoDaddy owned entity do we want them listed separately?

Uni still has separate ICANN accreditation. There is no basis to exclude this registrar. If we start checking who-owns-or-controls-whom.... this would become unproductive :)

Also, even netsol and registercom should be included. An (expected) lack of votes also means something ;)
- the poll results are reviewed by very different readers.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah but we can't take away the 2020 winner under the old system, no one discussed end of year until @Windoms. So Epik already had the title.

Actually, with the last poll we had here, since it was in March of 2020. Simply make that one for 2019, edit title. This one will be 2020 and gets it back on track. Simple solution

Last edited:
•••
Yeah but we can't take away the 2020 winner under the old system
So, why not to END the poll in Jan/Feb (2021), starting it in Dec 2020 /Jan 2021?

Last edited:
•••
So, why not to END the poll in Jan/Feb, starting it in Dec/Jan?

I edited my last post which I think works. This poll does what you just posted, starts in December, ends in January. The last poll we had here, since it started in March of 2020, simply make that one a 2019 poll. Then from now on, do them at the end of the year like this one.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Well said :)

The discussion (and the poll by itself) makes sense with "no empoloyee voting" rule only. Imo. If so, the next question would be - what, if any, newer technical poll options to do exist at this time? @equity78 For example, it would be useful to to hide the results before poll ends. Like in real life elections :) This would eliminate a lot of non-productive comments in poll thread. Yeah, any member should still be allowed to disclose his preference(s) in comments if he likes, but the total results (top part) would be hidden if the poll is still open. Poll closed ==> all results are public and transparent.

Uni still has separate ICANN accreditation. There is no basis to exclude this registrar. If we start checking who-owns-or-controls-whom.... this would become unproductive :)

Also, even netsol and registercom should be included. An (expected) lack of votes also means something ;)
- the poll results are reviewed by very different readers.

Did I say not include them? No I said we can list everyone I was saying to Bob that for most it really is only a handful of registrars that matter.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back