DAN.com

A Quick Due diligence, saved losing $25k+

Labeled as information in Domain Buying and Selling Discussion, started by JagG, Aug 8, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. Internet.Domains

Internet.Domains Account Closed (Requested) VIP

Has the thief been identified? If so, who is it?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Acroplex

Acroplex Top Member DomainGang.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The thief's moniker, emails, IPs and locale are all in the possession of the Moderators and third parties interested in the thief's serial activities. That's all I can say at this point.

3. Keith

Keith Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Of course not but it’s a huge leap to assume every buyer of a particular domain is a member here. And even then, your assumption is that they are aware of the individual thread which flags the domain.

This line of thinking isn’t reality.

4. Internet.Domains

Alright. So the mods have some network data on someone. That still does not prove the current owner is a thief.

5. Acroplex

I didn't start this thread. The domain was reported stolen on DomainState, NamePros and I published part of my own research on DomainGang 3 years ago. Someone acquiring a domain from a dubious source has every reason to not "research" its past.

If you want to contribute, don't add jitter to the posts here. The current owner is not the thief, but he acquired a stolen asset.

6. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

Let’s; @Mod Team Echo, @Mod Team Bravo, @Mod Team Alfa, Confirm, and, why withhold?

Samer

7. Internet.Domains

I am asking reasonable questions. Sorry you consider that "jitter".....Your tone is becoming defensive because you hold no current facts.

8. Keith

The problem here, as you’ve admitted, this is years in the making. One would assume that after years, the proper owner either got the domain back or exhausted all options. In either case, it’s fair game to pursue a purchase.

9. Acroplex

My tone?

No, your references to the current holder not being a thief - something I never alleged.

Take your white noise/jitter to the chatroom instead.

10. Acroplex

Ok. If you want to pursue a stolen asset, be my guest. I will continue to report it as stolen. The domain was never returned to the owner, in fact, the current registrant is potentially the first time the thief handed over the domain.

11. Internet.Domains

Due so at your own risk. Until you have the facts that the domain is CURRENTLY stolen your reporting is just jitter.

12. Acroplex

Jesus. I will let you know, yes. Good luck with this thread.

13. Keith

With all your research, who is the rightful owner and why haven’t they got the asset back?

14. Brian L.

Brian L. Top Contributor VIP ICA Member

I'm not making any assumptions regarding the domain in this thread, but I'd like to clear something up regarding theft in general. Once something is stolen(in most countries and under international law), the original owner has the right to recover the property in perpetuity. It doesn't matter how much time has passed or how many times it been traded or sold. A good example of this is artwork and other property that was stolen during World War 2. Family members are still recovering property to this day that was stolen 80 years ago.

15. Internet.Domains

If someone has bought stolen property, knowing its stolen, it is a crime.

If someone has bought stolen property, not knowing its stolen, the buyer is a victim of a crime.

In this case we don't know:

A. If the domain was recovered and resold, making for a legitimate transaction and legitimate possession.

B. If the current holder bought it, knowing its stolen.

C. If the current holder bought it, not knowing its stolen.

The domain community is best served if we can establish current facts before making judgement.

16. NickB

NickB Wales.org VIP

Your first 2 sentences don't change the fact that if the "property" is stolen it stays stolen whether someone knew it was or not.......

17. Internet.Domains

To properly identify the property as stolen, we have to establish that the domain was never recovered. That evidence has not been submitted. The possibility that it was recovered and resold remains open.

There is big, big, disparities between all of the possibilities. That is why, as a community, we should refrain from premature judgement until all the current facts are discovered. Its the right thing to do.

18. Samer

amazed wow are domains “stolen”?
    Dont we have to put up with antiquated 60 lock and even worse 5-7 day transfers many regist
    years or decade plus?
    2007? 15 years. Wow.
    Pushing sweet 16 soon;
    and highly valuable name owner still shrouded.

This eerily reminds me of 3L.com CQD.com —and they used Escrow.com

19. NameDeck

NameDeck Top Contributor VIP

I get it. However, we know this name was stolen in the past and has remained so till at least a couple of years ago.

To properly identify the property as not stolen, we have to establish that the domain was recovered. That evidence has never been submitted. The possibility that it was never recovered and resold while still being stolen remains the most likely option.

But like you said, we don't know who it was bought from. Only the current owner knows. Personally I would provide my source of purchase to a trusted party to get rid of the story surrounding this name but he's in no way obligated to do so. And rightfully so as long as there is no criminal investigation regarding this name.

20. NickB

NickB Wales.org VIP

[​IMG]

Edit - sorry for the above, but..........mods will probably delete it

21. Internet.Domains

Agreed..However, in law, the most likely option is not considered evidence, fact or used as judgement, at least in the US....Its a fundamental right to be innocent until proven guilty.

22. Samer

“cancel culture” today is the other way around;
    guilty until proven innocent. you’re right though

Curious if this thread has any do @lambo.com now restricted; more questions, than answers.

23. Keith

What’s the monetary value that determines that?

24. Samer

“too good to be true” only thing i got, Keith.

25. Keith

5 figures is never too good to be true.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice