IT.COM

discuss Managing Dan, GoDaddy and Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HeroNames

Established Member
Impact
Is anybody else getting royally tied up trying to manage a portfolio across Dan, GD and ANic? The merge of all 3 under the GD umbrella is a good thing and there are lots of actions that sync across the portfolio, but as Afternic moves closer to GoDaddy and now doesn't have a sales marketplace at all (redirects to GD), how do manage this mess of similar account screens, redirects and some but not all synced info

Qu 1, if Afternic doesn't have a sales marketplace any longer, how come I just received a sales email from the Afternic fast transfer service? (is this activated through GD buyers now?)
Qu 2, if the accounts are synced between GD and ANic, how come the domain portfolio isn't? Is that legacy pre-migration what was listed on ANic

Example, payout info on ANic can be updated, but not reflected on GD payout preferences

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is anybody else getting royally tied up trying to manage a portfolio across Dan, GD and ANic? The merge of all 3 under the GD umbrella is a good thing and there are lots of actions that sync across the portfolio, but as Afternic moves closer to GoDaddy and now doesn't have a sales marketplace at all (redirects to GD), how do manage this mess of similar account screens, redirects and some but not all synced info

Qu 1, if Afternic doesn't have a sales marketplace any longer, how come I just received a sales email from the Afternic fast transfer service? (is this activated through GD buyers now?)
Qu 2, if the accounts are synced between GD and ANic, how come the domain portfolio isn't? Is that legacy pre-migration what was listed on ANic

Example, payout info on ANic can be updated, but not reflected on GD payout preferences

Hi @DomainHype,
Thanks for your feedback. Afternic continues to be the world's premier domain sales platform, with no interruptions in how you manage or sell domain names. To manage your Afternic portfolio, head to your dashboard as usual.

We chose to redirect searches from Afternic.com to GoDaddy, as less than 1% of Afternic's domain name sales originated from Afternic.com searches. Afternic is focused on maintaining and developing services that account for 99%+ of sales, including the Distribution Network, Sale Landers, the Lead Center, and more.

We encourage you to check out Afternic.com and Afternic's Help Center for more information on what Afternic offers to sellers, and Afternic's support team is on hand for any other questions you may have!

•••
We chose to redirect searches from Afternic.com to GoDaddy, as less than 1% of Afternic's domain name sales originated from Afternic.com searches. Afternic is focused on maintaining and developing services that account for 99%+ of sales, including the Distribution Network, Sale Landers, the Lead Center, and more.

Be that as it may, but when your customers are confused and pose questions such as OP's #1, isn't it obvious that you deliberately lowered the brand value of Afternic?

•••
•••
Is anybody else getting royally tied up trying to manage a portfolio across Dan, GD and ANic?
I would love the ability to adjust the prices of domains on Dan and Afternic from one single page.

•••
There are a few things that irritate me (changes to afternic search comes to mind) but the single biggest issue is the double verification.

It gets tiring having to do verification at both Dan and Afternic. I'm losing so many man hours I have to not think about it to maintain a degree of sanity. :depressed:

•••
I would love the ability to adjust the prices of domains on Dan and Afternic from one single page.
Hey Dane, I update via the Dan dashboard and it does seem to filter through to Afternic when they had their own marketplace, and it filters back 'up' to GoDaddy, so I presume the same works in reverse if you manage from GDaddy. Now Afternic doesnt have a searchable marketplace for end users it might become simplified with just the Dan landers or GD domain search the points of entry/sale.

•••
You can do that via Dan, as long as you don't have a separate account at Afternic. However, you can't set minimum offer values this way (on Afternic landers, the BIN becomes the minimum asking / offer price.)

I agree with the OP's sentiment about how BADLY has GoDaddy managed its acquired marketplaces, Uniregistry and Dan, and how BADLY it has moved Afternic away from buyers accessing it directly. These decisions aren't technical: They reflect the management's myopic approach to the domain industry.

•••
You got so many brands under one umbrella that it confuses the hell of everyone
Get rid of afternic... shitty name and just focus on one name
We gave so many feedbacks and GD does not even give a shit. So what the point..

•••
What's the confusion? I just manage everything from Dan. It lists on afternic automatically.

•••
I am just as annoyed as the next guy that you can’t search on Afternic anymore and that its strictly a listing platform now. But from their perspective using Afternic as a tool to price compare or find pricing was no doubt mostly being done by domainers and very knowledgeable people in similar niches like branding agencies. Most people have never even heard of Afternic.

As mentioned above you can set bin on DAN that appears on GoDaddy automatically with no make offer option.

•••
What's the confusion? I just manage everything from Dan. It lists on afternic automatically.

It's unclear if the automatic propagation from Dan to Afternic is now only for verified domains. There was a rogue unverified listing on Dan that showed up automatically on Afternic. After pointing out this issue to Afternic, no other Dan rogue listings are showing up there. Since the sprious listings were clearly unverified, I wondered if Afternic implemented this as an added security measure?

So, do you know if they have to be verified domains (i.e. Ns3/txt), in order to also directly show up on Afternic? Any insight from @GoDaddy?

Last edited:
•••
We gave so many feedbacks and GD does not even give a shit. So what the point..
You are absolutely right. All domainres are dissatisfied with the current policies of Godaddy, which ignores our requests and does not solve problems. They boast that they are a leading world company, but by conducting such a strange politician, the company will soon lose its leading status. They do not introduce the universal domain check for all sites. They still have not pay money from the sale of more than a dozen domains to our colleague for 3 weeks (!!!). Many of my friends are already do transfer tens of thousands of domains to other registrars. I predicted it. I warned them in advance that this will happen couse they offended me as a good client and as a person. For no one canceled the law of karma.

•••
I fully understand the confusion. As the official account has already pointed out, they abandoned Afternic specific search, instead sending people to GD search. But all other aspects of selling and managing your portfolio on Afternic remained. They believe that only 1% of sales are impacted by no longer having Afternic search capability.
It seems to me that names listed on one indeed show up on the other. Do they not sometimes? I generally list names on Afternic rather than through GD, but when I search on GoDaddy auctions it seems they all show up correctly for me.

Re the Dan-Afternic integration some have commented on, while true that if you list on Dan the names do propagate to be listed on Afternic (except for some TLDs that Afternic do not handle). I list separately (first putting them on Afternic so the propagation won't happen) for two reasons:
  1. As pointed out by others above, that gives me control over the minimum bid price.
  2. It is my understanding that the name needs to be listed on Afternic directly to get the confirmation and to approve Fast Transfer, and that is important to me (for some domains). Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.
I agree with the sentiment expressed by several wishing that there was cross verification rather than independent. That said, most of my names are at registrars, like Dynadot and Spaceship, where I can set all of my TXT verifications to automatically be active for any added domain, so not much of an issue anyway.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
We the domainers gave so much valuable feedbacks to gd for so many years and gd does not give a shit
So what the point

GD can go bankrupt for all we care

They have destroyed dan uni and so many good interfaces

•••
We the domainers gave so much valuable feedbacks to gd for so many years and gd does not give a shit
So what the point
Well, slowly some improvements have been made. And GoDaddy, along with Dan and Afternic, remain engaged on NP. They are one of a select group of marketplaces actively interacting with this sometimes fervent, often lively forum. Kudos for that.
Well, wouldn't the better outcome be that both GoDaddy and the domain investors thrive?
If so, it's perhaps good to continue the dialogue. Maybe help GoDaddy emulate the features that made those interfaces work well for you. And maybe the Dan/Afternic/GoDaddy integration will improve as a result.

Last edited:
•••
I see here that most people are as frustrated & confused as I am. I have domains listed at Dan and some at Afternic, but it seems none of them are shown in the GoDaddy search results.

For example, a search of "Raleigh" at GD does not show Raleigh.info as available. A search of "Wilmington" does not show Wilmington.biz as available. Both have reasonable Buy Now prices and a lease option.

Other examples of domains that are "listed" in my Afternic account, but that do not show in GoDaddy searches are SouthFlorida.realestate, mma.global, golf.miami.

Any advice or insight is appreciated. There's no point "listing" domains if they can't be found by prospective buyers.

•••
For example, a search of "Raleigh" at GD does not show Raleigh.info as available.
I did a search from Canada on GD. If I enter your name including the dot and extension it will appear. However, if I enter simply 'Raleigh' or 'Raleigh info' (with no dot) it does not, as you say, appear anywhere in the search results.

With Afternic abandoning search, and sending users to general GoDaddy search, that is true for many aftermarket names that would previously have appeared on first page at Afternic search. There is a discussion of it here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/searching-for-equality-at-godaddy.1319805/

The answer from Afternic is that only 1% of sales came from the Afternic search, and they are concentrating on their landers and the registration path (their network of listings at registrars).

You should check how effectively your specific name appears at partners on their network. I tried a couple of places and it did not show for me.

Afternic listed names in general show. on GoDaddy auctions, but when I tried the Rayleigh name, even with the dot and extension, it did not come up. Not sure why that would be.

-Bob

•••
I did a search from Canada on GD. If I enter your name including the dot and extension it will appear. However, if I enter simply 'Raleigh' or 'Raleigh info' (with no dot) it does not, as you say, appear anywhere in the search results.

With Afternic abandoning search, and sending users to general GoDaddy search, that is true for many aftermarket names that would previously have appeared on first page at Afternic search. There is a discussion of it here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/searching-for-equality-at-godaddy.1319805/

The answer from Afternic is that only 1% of sales came from the Afternic search, and they are concentrating on their landers and the registration path (their network of listings at registrars).

You should check how effectively your specific name appears at partners on their network. I tried a couple of places and it did not show for me.

Afternic listed names in general show. on GoDaddy auctions, but when I tried the Rayleigh name, even with the dot and extension, it did not come up. Not sure why that would be.

-Bob
Thank you, Bob, for your time and input. That's helpful information. I'm thinking I may try setting some of the domain nameservers to Afternic with their landers. Seems GoDaddy staff are themselves not clear on how to advise clients.

•••
So what the point

So much time wasted

•••
same thing i was thinking.

•••
Very interesting finding, Bob. So the chances of having a listing seen appear limited.
s

-Bob
Thanks for the important alert.

•••
Glad I'm not the only one wrestling with this!

Additional point, I prefer the Dan landers to any other, I think they are the most modern UI and believe they are the most attractive and offer an opportunity to add persuasive copy. On my landers (because I have a small portfolio) I add similar sales to boost 'social validation' of the price, along with keyword volumes, sometimes age of the domain to envoke legacy search authority etc etc - HOWEVER, when listing on Afternic and selecting the Dan lander from the choices, you don't get the opportunity to add copy, it's just the fixed Dan lander with purchase options and the header :( So I still have to list in Dan and use the Dan landers @AfternicDLS @GoDaddy please can this be addressed.

To round off pricing management, if I'm not bothered about auctions, is there a single place I can list and manage pricing for the domain to have consistent pricing across the ecosystem? ie if I list in Dan and set pricing, but don't set for sale within my GD Account, they will still show up in GD search? Or should I list and managing pricing only on Afternic to benefit from the wider network reach - using Dan landers set to Dan nameservers with no pricing in Dan and not listed for sale in GD account?

Thanks in advance team!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back