Dynadot

.co $6 million wasted on .co registrations.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think .co will be a success?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    35.2%
  • No

votes
    47.4%
  • Unsure

votes
    17.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

$6 million wasted on .CO registrations.

I am somewhat surprised at the level of interest in .co over the last couple of days, from bloggers claiming it is now in the "top 4 extensions" and being worth 10% of a .com to others talking about developing these names and other madness.

A few comments about .co,

1. In my view the main appeal with this extension is typo traffic. Having said that, looking at some Alexa rankings, compete scores and Google Adwords data I would say only the very best generic .co's are going to get much traffic. The registry made a calculated decision when deciding to go public. The main area is likely to be ™ names (registry passes the buck). Even then it seems the registry has done a good job connecting with big sites. Still I think the ™ typo area is the main opportunity.

2. Considering point one, that these names are totally confusing, how does it makes sense to consider developing these names names.

Would you develop a misspell?
Would you develop a .cm?
Then why would you develop a .co?

The extension is going to be totally confusing for the average person on the street. .biz would be a better choice for development.

3. Reg fees - they aren't cheap and it is going to suck out a lot of the profitability from these names. Whatever value was there is 25% of that with reg fees 4 times higher than other extensions.

4. It's different this time! Isn't it?

.ws, .cc, .tv, .biz, .info, .us, .eu, .mobi, .tel, .me.

Supposedly with every new extension it is going to be different. There is always some compelling reason or argument as to why the latest extension will succeed where other have failed. People will debate it for the next year or two.

In reality it never is different. People get excited for a few months. .co is cool and new, and the fact that nobody actuallly uses it isn't that important yet, after all there is time for growth. Then interest wanes, things turn out not quite as planned. A year later everyone is dropping. People then get angry with the registry saying a lot was promised and not delivered.

Why do the same mistakes keep getting repeated? The registry is setting people up for today, the day when they part with their money and register 200,000 .co names. Most of the money goes into the launch and promoting premium auctions. Afterwards doesn't matter much. Get ready to be strung along a lot.

6. Staged sales/usage: You've been sold to!

disrupt.co, no_url_shorteners, o.co

There is not much genuine news in this. Disrupt.co was part of an advertising deal. Did you really think techcrunch just chose to use that name? o.co, a sale that appeared a few hours before the launch, the registry is pouring some fuel on the fire here. They want to get you excited for today.

7. Who is even using this extension?

This is .mobi all over again, instead of the big backers who weren't really backing (Google, Microsoft etc) we've got 3 well known sites supposedly adopting .co (Twitter, Overstock, Techcrunch), do you think these people will be anywhere near the extension in 12 months time? How significant is this usage anyway, a url shortener? Overstock doing a url redirect to their main site? Techcrunch promoting a site for a week or so?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My typo .co's are doing GREAT!

When are we going to see a dedicated .co marketplace here at NP??

•••

When are we going to see a dedicated .co marketplace here at NP??

It would be best if you make a request to the admin for a marketplace thread I think.

•••

Any examples?

From what I can see of it the people who registered from that angle are mainly not doing well, and that is people experienced in the typo traffic game,

eg,

domainstryker.com/co-domain-auctions - I’ll pass on those .co auctions… KTHX

Has there been any .co listed for sale as having revenue? I am yet to see any.

Personally I thought there would be a good typo angle in this, though it looks to be more limited than I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I registered 5 .co domains all related to major cities in Colombia and
I intend to keep all of them for a few years or I'go to Colombia, find a nice Colombian girl and build a business for her based on my domains.
I hope she will be thanking me for my generosity every night

•••
•••
Any examples?

From what I can see of it the people who registered from that angle are mainly not doing well, and that is people experienced in the typo traffic game,

Personally I thought there would be a good typo angle in this, though it looks to be more limited than I thought.

I belive, by logic, the best typos, domain hacks and such are still waiting for auction because more than one person bought a $300 dlls LandRush tickets for such names, so the best is still to come out.

I registered 5 .co domains all related to major cities in Colombia and
I intend to keep all of them for a few years or I'go to Colombia, find a nice Colombian girl and build a business for her based on my domains.
I hope she will be thanking me for my generosity every night

best business plan ever :lol:

•••
Guys,

Maybe i get a different picture here, BUT, why my 2 .co domain names aren't indexed after a week or so?

Why they load so slowly - in a fast server?

Anyone with same problems?

•••
Any examples?

for obvious reasons, no. hell f'n no! :lol:

i will say i picked up 60 names (i wanted a couple hundred but was beaten out), mostly related to top trafficed .com's and the results are about what i expected. higher in some cases - lower in others. i'll sell or drop the low ones and hold onto the high ones and will come out decently ahead. its not a killing but its always good to supplement the income even just a bit.

i did have one slight advantage - a few years ago a client had some .cm's parked with us ( yup - just prior to the ham's virtual takeover they'd managed to register a few). so when .cm opened up i had the good sense to stay out as i already knew there wouldnt be very many worth the 240 price tag. but in this case for 25 bucks that opened the field of profitability many fold. add to that a .co is far more potentially "useful" than a .cm and the political stability of the countries being worlds apart make the .co a viable tld for the long-haul.

i wont say they're gold in them thar hills but there is def some silver.

•••
Fin, you pick up any $1 a day typos?

My typos BLEW. Literally SUCKED! $500 flushed down the train.

In fact, so far for the month of August:

Total: (12) 201 11 $0.88

Lol some of the ones havent event registered a frieking hit!

meh, you win some you lose some.

for obvious reasons, no. hell f'n no! :lol:

i will say i picked up 60 names (i wanted a couple hundred but was beaten out), mostly related to top trafficed .com's and the results are about what i expected. higher in some cases - lower in others. i'll sell or drop the low ones and hold onto the high ones and will come out decently ahead. its not a killing but its always good to supplement the income even just a bit.

i did have one slight advantage - a few years ago a client had some .cm's parked with us ( yup - just prior to the ham's virtual takeover they'd managed to register a few). so when .cm opened up i had the good sense to stay out as i already knew there wouldnt be very many worth the 240 price tag. but in this case for 25 bucks that opened the field of profitability many fold. add to that a .co is far more potentially "useful" than a .cm and the political stability of the countries being worlds apart make the .co a viable tld for the long-haul.

i wont say they're gold in them thar hills but there is def some silver.

•••
So many newbie domainers have been deceived in the .co marketing ploys. It's hilarious to see it all unfold. Oh well, less competition in other playing fields. KEEP BUYING .CO - PLEASE EMPTY YOUR WALLETS!

I love how most all of the .co fanboys in this thread joined NP THIS YEAR.

Last edited:
•••
so many jaded haters here...waiting for their schadenfreude orgasm.

Clearly all the newbs who arrived in 2010 are sure to change the domain world with their amazing 3D and .CO regs.

I would suggest many of the people supporting .CO spent less time arguing, and more time learning.

The average quality of .CO regs I have seen is not that great. Many would barely have value in .COM nevermind .CO

Brad

•••
so many jaded haters here...waiting for their schadenfreude orgasm.

Wow, I didn't realize people were so susceptible to marketing. Even if your .co is worth something one day, it won't come for 10 years. Do you plan to renew your names next year? There is no way you'll be able to sell over reg-fee in the next year. Again, I am talking about the domain names only - not sites.

•••
i hope you reg'd soothsayer.co cuz you seem very confident that you can see the future.

I've witnessed the land-rushes of many extensions over the years. There is a reason that most veterans did not pick up a single .co.

•••
also, XDuncan, it looks bit ridiculous to have 'a world of knowedge(sic)' on your furca site.

I've already been made aware of that. I keep it there to find smart green beans amongst the community. It's nice that you turn to personal attacks when you feel vulnerable about the future of .co.

What if .c comes out? Would this extension be greater than .co? It's shorter. People have been typing it for years. Etc?

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 AM ----------

and many veterans picked up thousands

Those who did picked up generic terms for Colombia, since it is a ccTLD.

•••
you're right, that was unnecessary...you love sarcasm:hearts:

Seriously, I want to hear your opinions on .c. I mean it sounds like a great extension. It can mean company, corporation, or commercial. Basically, it's a wildcard. It's short. It is the abbreviation of .co and .com. What do you think about .c? Would you invest in .c?

•••
Honestly CT, if .co wasn't a ccTLD I might have invested in it. But that's inevitable. It just seems politically incorrect to have a television site on .tv, a personal site on .me, or a business site on .co - unless it is targetted to those countries. That is the only thing keeping me out of .co.

•••
Gotta reg 'em all. hahahahahaha

•••
fair enough...I have the same concerns that it's a ccTLD...BTW I clicked some of your ads as an olive branch

Thanks, but my portfolio does well without any assistance. That site has been abandoned.

•••
What if .c comes out? Would this extension be greater than .co? It's shorter. People have been typing it for years. Etc?

There will never be a .C extension because it stands for nothing (representation of the letter C). It wouldn't be considered a gTLD because gTLDs are 3 or more letters long and usually they are global abbreviations, nether a ccTLD because ccTLDs are 2 letters long and must define a country.

.CO exist because it stand for Colombia and it's also a .COM

It's like having a gTLD and a ccTLD all in one package.

An hybrid extension like .TV

Last edited:
•••
jeez that sounded snarky...I'm gonna click yer damn ads anyway

Continue and i'll speak to my rep and report you for arbitrage. I hope you don't have a Google Adsense account yourself.

•••
Continue and i'll speak to my rep and report you for arbitrage. I hope you don't have a Google Adsense account yourself.

I was joking...:|

•••
.CO exist because it stand for Colombia and it's also a .COM

The arguments get more and more ridiculous all the time.

I think the only thing that is COLOMBIA and a .COM is:
drumroll please...
.COM.CO

•••
You guys are wasting your time debating.
The .co lovers and .co haters should pit yourself together in a gambling table.
It is a shame that namepros doesn't have gambling feature.

The gambling theme is:
"Will .co be a success?"

Definition of "success":
I don't think we have to be so far fetched, but hey, I am pretty sure, in 10 years, we are still be here, right, right?
So ok...how bout: "Will .co get 30% of August 2010 .com's registrations?", let's say right now(August 2010) there are 81,000,000 .com s out there, will there be at least 27,000,000 .co s out there on August 2020?

PUT YOUR BET, NOW!
Me? I don't have .co, so I will have to bet 50$ on : There will be LESS than 27 million .co out there on august 2020

I am open to a better gambling suggestion hahaha....but hey, I even heard from someone around here that .co will overtake .com in 5 years. I think getting 27 millions .co s in 2020 will be peanuts then...may be I should have changed the definition of "success" to "there will be at least 81 millions .co s in 2015!!" :D

time to proof your love/hate for .co in money! talking won't solve anything :D

Last edited:
•••
In 2020, there will only be ugly long ass .com domain names left that nobody wants.
In 2020, .com is totally exhausted to the point that it stop growing. (see the graph below.)
In 2020, there will still be some good .co domain names left. (Like today's .com)
In 2020, people will start to see more .co then .com because of it's shortness.
In 2020, new non-sence gTLD will be created. (.xxx .web .art .shop .corp .ltd .sex .kids ...)
In 2020, people lose faith in gTLD and go with ccTLD.
In 2020, .cn and .de will reach twice the registration number then .com
In 2020, population will double and young people will think .com is the thing of the past.

3949741701_b42c0ebfc6_o.png

Renewals are going down for .com:

3950521210_4754649a63_o.png

Domain names are designed to replace IP addresses into short and memorable web addresses.

The shorter = The better.

Last edited:
•••
LMAO taking a screenshot of this thread.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back