Dynadot

1AND1 IS A CONFIRMED SCAM REGISTRAR !!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

elevator

DNCombo.comTop Member
Impact
Hello domainers! I have confirmed that 1and1 is a confirmed scam registrar.

What happened is that, in order for me to reduce cost of renewals and to also register some few new domains, I searched google for cheap domain registratrar and I found 1and1.com ads on many places with their ongoing promo of 0.99cent for a first .com domains and I transfered my domain to them succesfully, and there was a charged of $1 on my card with expectation that they have charged me for the transfer. Following that I hand regged another two .com domains, because of the contracts I signed with them is; buy 2 and get additional one for free. But to my supprised and a great disapoinment; I was chaged a sum.of additional $24 for the three domains. If they have changed their mind and if worst come to worse, instead of them to charge me as follows $0.99 + $8.99+$8.99. They charged my card a sum of $24 in about a month later.
I have never seen such a registrar before, to charge in about a month after registration and transfer completion.

I have sent them mails to remind them of their so called promo and contracts but they are not listening at all.

So I decided to allert domainers not to fall into the same scam like myself. The worst now is that there is no way for me to move out my domains from them until afetr the ICANN 60 days deadline for transfer of domain names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm talking about Italian support.

Last January I bought almost 2 hundred domains at 1and1... becuase they promoted registrations at €1!
No problems, I paid €1 + VAT(IVA) each.

This days I renewed only few of them, and the process didn't have any problems.

I would said February 2015

•••
1 & 1 , Fire on the mountain.

•••
They stole my 1 domain last year too !!!

1&1 is the worst company for domain registeration !!!!

•••
wow I am in deep ocean. I just register 14 domains with 1and1.com. What can I do?

•••
I have never been bothered about a domain more than them, made a mistake registering there, until that day they call about every two months asking if I want to buy more domains, asked them to remove my number but they still call.

Also, one of the best hand regs I have gotten, the ones I couldn't believe they were available, out of curiosity I checked the previous who is, and it was one and one with still a year left on it, but it ended less than that.

Last edited:
•••
wow I am in deep ocean. I just register 14 domains with 1and1.com. What can I do?

Transfer them out as soon as you can. You've seen what other domainers have said about not buying domain registered at 1and1. You have to be very careful to follow their instructions about canceling the hosting for each domain, else they will charge you again for the domains after the year is up. AND. If you don't pay, they will put your account into the hands of their credit collection agency, for collection. This agency is understandably brutal about collecting the money due, or ruining your credit rating.

•••
Oh. And their Control Panel sucks big time. It can take between one and two weeks for even simple changes to be effective on their servers. Support is obviously hopeless to help. You are better just waiting it out, than contacting their support to fix the problem.

And. Selling the domain rather than either dropping or transferring the domain, also does not cancel your hosting contract with them. Which is why it is so important to follow the instructions carefully about canceling the hosting for each and every domain. It's a real PITA. You have been warned :(

Last edited:
•••
We all know already what a sh*t registrar 1and1 is. And to be avoided at all costs. If you had searched NamePros or Google you would have realized this. You'll have another bout of problems when you transfer the domains away as well. Unless you follow their instructions to the letter and cancel their hosting along with the domain transfer. I'm sorry you have had to find out the hard way :(
Stub, not everyone smart like you. :)

•••

What happened is that, in order for me to reduce cost of renewals and to also register some few new domains, I searched google for cheap domain registratrar and I found 1and1.com ads on many places with their ongoing promo of 0.99cent for a first .com domains and I transfered my domain to them succesfully, and there was a charged of $1 on my card with expectation that they have charged me for the transfer. Following that I hand regged another two .com domains, because of the contracts I signed with them is; buy 2 and get additional one for free. But to my supprised and a great disapoinment; I was chaged a sum.of additional $24 for the three domains. If they have changed their mind and if worst come to worse, instead of them to charge me as follows $0.99 + $8.99+$8.99. They charged my card a sum of $24 in about a month later.
I have never seen such a registrar before, to charge in about a month after registration and transfer completion.

I have sent them mails to remind them of their so called promo and contracts but they are not listening at all.

So I decided to allert domainers not to fall into the same scam like myself. The worst now is that there is no way for me to move out my domains from them until afetr the ICANN 60 days deadline for transfer of domain names.
Thank you for sharing this information.

•••
My Zero cent opinion. Rules, policy and regulations of such; does not stayed solid and the same forever. It tend to stretch and stressed towards more negatively . They tend to go by what the markets current condition and their customers vulnerabilities. Just a thought.

•••
•••
yup nothing but headaches with them on my part, even transferring a domain to them is a hassle i tell them i have a transfer failed(never got an approval email and it said it was failed within 8 hours and you have longer to approve a transfer) and the customer support being lazy just says oh ya you let the approval email expire! not realizing that obviously i understand the transfer process having transferred another domain to them. if transferring out takes long i might just take these 99 cent renewals and transfer them out now so as not to get stuck with this incompetence

•••
A long while ago I had to take 1 & 1 to the BBB because they somehow signed me up for 6 hosting accounts when I only needed one and then refused to cancel. Spoke with management and they had the gall to dare me to send them to the BBB. I did......added to their F rating on the BBB.....and vowed my entire life to be a naysayer from here until time eternity. STAY AWAY......

•••
1&1, 1 bad experience and another 1 bad experience. 1 more victim and another 1 more victim.

•••
Well, in this case if you value your domains and are hoping to keep them and avoid any headaches then you should find the nearest wishing well and throw your wallet into it because you are gonna need some luck.

Don't get me wrong, some people are able to be the "Lucky Ones" and don't have any problems that are that bad. However, for others dealing with 1&1 can cause severe stress which can (and probably has) lead to this:

8F07C01DBEA5513F7918C343BEDF91DFEE296B81

•••
There is no option to register from 'Ireland' yet they cover countries like Afghanistan, Nigeria etc. - I always wonder why, is it because they could not cope with Ireland's tough Consumer Laws ?

•••
yup nothing but headaches with them on my part, even transferring a domain to them is a hassle i tell them i have a transfer failed(never got an approval email and it said it was failed within 8 hours and you have longer to approve a transfer) and the customer support being lazy just says oh ya you let the approval email expire! not realizing that obviously i understand the transfer process having transferred another domain to them. if transferring out takes long i might just take these 99 cent renewals and transfer them out now so as not to get stuck with this incompetence

I think you should.

•••
Well, in this case if you value your domains and are hoping to keep them and avoid any headaches then you should find the nearest wishing well and throw your wallet into it because you are gonna need some luck.

Don't get me wrong, some people are able to be the "Lucky Ones" and don't have any problems that are that bad. However, for others dealing with 1&1 can cause severe stress which can (and probably has) lead to this:

I think as long as you understand that each domain has it's own hosting account (to be deleted), and you follow the instructions on how to delete the domain and delete the hosting, even after your domains are transferred out. You can get away relatively smoothly. But it requires the patience of Job, to do this for every domain you have transferred away. It's much better, not to register them at 1and1 in the first place. IMHO. It's certainly not worth the $8 saving you make on registering a domain at 1and1 to begin with. Time is money.

•••
Avoid as a plague: 1+1 and Network Solutions, I'm trying to get my transfer code from NS for about a week, they want me to call them. For the hell of what?? Send that freaking code to my email, I've already made the decision. But 1+1 may be worst, they have the collection agency for $0.99, can damage your credit history, no, for real.

•••

1and1 treats an account change (PUSH) like a normal incoming transfer, they charge you one year registration fee, but they don´t add one year to your domain expiration date ... they say that the fee is for the transfer ... just crazy, never seen before. That happen to us, so we transfered all domains out from there. The worst domain registrar !!!

•••
worst domain registrars: 1and1, netsol, register

•••
They're worst! Mostly their control panel.

I had only registered a .COM with them few months ago when they had free .COM promo (+$0.18 ICANN fee). I transferred out as soon as domain gets 60 days old. It took 5 days to complete transfer.

If anyone have domains there, they should use PayPal, as it is easy to cancel PP subscription than removing CC from their panel.

•••
They keep sending me renewal letters and asking me to pay for a domain name I don't own since 3 years. They also tried many time to scam me about a server I've ordered and cancelled after 2 weeks because it kept crashing over and over again. That was also 3 years ago... Seriously, I don't know why they are still in business.

•••
1and1.com = Sedo.com = Mail.com = .CLUB Registry ;)

•••
I have had nightmares with these idiots as well.... I used them long ago and had a few domains with them on auto renew that I completely forgot about... roughly about $165 per year in renewals...I remembered these domains few weeks ago when I got a reneweal notification from 1and1... I went cancel the autorenew on them but they didn't allow me to do so... cos it was 3 days until they were due for renewal (I registered all the domains on the same day so renewal date was the same - Yeah initially at 0.99c it was no problem..hahhaah) ... so now I got whacked with a $165 invoice..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back