IT.COM

1and1.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Avoid them!

This post sums it all up:

I am an investigative journalist, and have just had a major run in with 1&1 over a fundraiser that they botched the website. Thanks to industry contacts, we have an active file with Tom Corbett’s office at the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office. Here is the information if you’d like to be added to one of their many complaints:

Madlene Dakour
Bureau of Consumer Protection
Philadelphia Regional Office
21 South 12th Street, 2nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 560-2414

She is great, and is taking information regarding problems with 1&1. We are also working with other national media venues regarding this story, and currently have more than 10,000 written complaints within a few days. Keep up the fight, and keep calling the BBB and Attorney General’s office.

•••
No problems here

I have about 400 names with 1and1 and I am completely satisfied. I like their auto-renew feature so you don't have to keeps tabs on when names are expiring. If you don't want the name to renew, just turn renew off or just cancel the name. There are too many reviews on here that just sound like cry-babies that didn't get their way. I like the free private registration too. Why should I have to pay for something that should be free from every registrar? Who wants idiots calling them asking them about their names, just because they got their info on whois. Price is everything, and interfaces can be figured out. This isn't rocket science.

•••
they are ok

not bad for domain registration

•••
They RUIN your credit! Collection Agency!

I ordered a virtual server from them for 1 month to try it out. It was very very slow connecting, always timing out, etc. It wasnt a real VPS either, in the fact that I couldn't put anything I wanted to on the box, no IRC, etc. Very limited.

I didn't renew it the next month thinking they would just stop the service. Nope, a couple months later my 60 something dollar bill was at a collection agency. I was so upset, but to not ruin my credit, I paid the bill, paid the current months bill, then called them to cancle and they said I had to cancle online. So I had to look up my username/pw for an account I had not used in months and log in and cancle. Thanks 1and1.

•••
Worst Web hosting company

I had an account with 1and1 for one week only and I experienced the worst customer service ever. They took forever to refund my money. I wasn't allowed to change file/directory permissions. That's ridiculous. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

•••
Overall hopeless

Never ever give a try

•••
I eventually paid the money they wanted from before (back a few pages on this thread) then on the 6/6/08 I receive ANOTHER invoice for the same price. I'm just thinking WTF now. I'll leave it to my parents to sort out - they said I had to pay until the package ran out in September of this year but that's wrong.

D O N O T G O W I T H 1AND1

You have been warned!

•••
Good Value

I transfered all of my domains fro GoDaddy and Bluehost to 1and1. I couldn't handle the ads anymore. I don't have any complaints with 1and1 but I have not had to use their customer service either. In the beggining it was a pain to cancel a domain because you had to fax a confirmation but that has changed and is a pretty standard procedure.

As far as transfering domains.. it would be great if they allowed free pushes to other members. I really have no reason to complain about transfering domains away from 1and1 because I do all my sales through Sedo, so they get to deal with that issue.

All in they are a good deal especially since they offer free private registration.

•••
Review

1and1 is terrible. Stay away. Name dot com all the way! B-)

•••
name dot com is the most common I believe

•••
Review

I've started to work with 1and1 but its sooooooo much time till you get your domain, amazing, most of registrars make it in the moment that you make the request but here it last 24h!!! time is very important in domaining, they should improve this point

•••
Pichichi said:
I've started to work with 1and1 but its sooooooo much time till you get your domain, amazing, most of registrars make it in the moment that you make the request but here it last 24h!!! time is very important in domaining, they should improve this point

Hi Pichichi,

The problem is 1and1 will not "improve this point".

When you lose a domain because 1and1 took 24 to 48 hours to register
it you will really appreciate how serious a matter this is.

Someone using a different Registrar can come along and register the same domain you did 24 or more hours later and get it and you will be so out of luck.

This has happened to me and many others.

When I complained about this to 1and1 "customer service", I received a snarly reply that "that's the way it is and there's nothing that can be done about it".

But YOU can do something about it and that is to use a Registrar that
regges domains instantly.

Use 1and1 if you must only for domains that aren't really important to you.

Patrick

•••
1and1 - the worst registrar ever, in my experience.

•••
thanks for your opinions, i will think on it...

•••
Review

As several people have already stated, if you sell domain names which require
a direct push from you to the buyer, AVOID 1and1 !
No free push.

One thing that irks me is that this fact is not stated clearly enough on the
recipients end, which may also be the case on the senders end (?)
You find quite a few sellers listing their domain names for sale
and claiming "free push", not knowing how wrong they are
A nasty little surprise awaits the buyer!

Another thing is the separate panel for deletions, cancellations and transfers. (cancel.1and1.com)
Really necessary? Not to mention how counterintuitive the regular panel is.
Where are the expiration dates displayed? Why is such vital info not front and center
as it is with most registrars? You practically have to "hunt" for basic info on your domain.

Lastly, their customer service is lousy. Not even a month ago I had one representative
blatantly lie that I had not put in a cancellation request, despite the fact that hers was the 5th in a string of e-mails and the two right before hers were ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS of cancellation requests from two packages + One confirming the receipt of a fax! Right there where she could see it and should have seen it
since she had been responding to my inquiry as to how much longer it would be.
(had taken quite a while)

There is so much more I can say, in the way of demerits...and very little in the way
of pros.

Last edited:
•••
I really must unsubscribe from this topic as it irks me just read "1and1"! For the third time, they have taken money from my card when I didnt owe it! I had moved my names to Fabulous (no probs there) but they keep billing me for them!!!!!!!

Useless, useless, useless company.

•••
FantasyCombine said:
I have about 400 names with 1and1 and I am completely satisfied. I like their auto-renew feature so you don't have to keeps tabs on when names are expiring. If you don't want the name to renew, just turn renew off or just cancel the name. There are too many reviews on here that just sound like cry-babies that didn't get their way. I like the free private registration too. Why should I have to pay for something that should be free from every registrar? Who wants idiots calling them asking them about their names, just because they got their info on whois. Price is everything, and interfaces can be figured out. This isn't rocket science.

This matched my experience with their reg service. :tu:
I wouldn't try 400 names at 1and1, but you make some very good points.

•••
waiste of time..

One day I saw that 1and1 Inc. is providing domain names in so good price. Got really interested and purchased my domain and a virtual private server from them. The purchase item says Instant Domain Registration. And then after purchase, I didn't found my domains registered neither such email. Then I gave them a call. After holding one of them answered and said that it will take 24-48 hours for the order to process, and the way of speaking was too bad of the guy. Then I said.. in the website it says Instant registration and after registration it is no longer instant. Fine.. I agreed. Then after around 9-10 hours they emailed me and asking for verification documents. I was so damn pissed off. They were asking for my ID.. my scanned copy of this and that.. etc. I submitted my passport. They replied like after another 24 hours and says that my documents are not approved.. and asking for more documents.. and then I cancelled my order with them.. Afterwards I was so unlucky that my domain which I wanted to register, has been registered by someone else but not 1and1 within the meanwhile they were verifying my order.

•••
awful bordering on fraudulent (my opinion)

Shame there were no zeros

OK now I have unsubscribed from this thread and of course 1 and 1! :bingo: :bingo: :bingo: :bingo: :D :D :D

•••
Is there a zero out of ten for these idiots?

http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-discussion/541298-how-h-can-1-1-get.html#post3210246

•••
Review

I have found this company to be totally untrustworthy. I purchased a name with them last few days of december and got confirmation email end of Dec - Jan 9th whois lists someone else as the owner. I called AFNIC and was told that there was a technical problem that allowed me to buy the domain when it was not available and that the first owner registered it on 23rd Dec - after i searched the name on 20th. The domain is so obscure that i can't even con myself its a fluke - a three letter .fr in an extreme niche area...nah.

•••
Review

Overall a nightmare. the ability to reg names and pay later was good for a while, but now the hassle factor has increased. Everything is set for automatic renewal, so if you decide you want to drop at the last minute, you can't. Even worse they now charge you a LATE FEE on top of it ($18.99) They will also charge reg fee ($8.99) for "external domains" even when the name isn't registered with them! My newbie mistake, was regging with them, now I'm trying to get (60) names out of there as fast as I can!

•••
Good luck. They recently sent me invoice after invoice for domains I transferred away ages ago. I ignored them and they proceeded to debt collector. They are a cancer in the domain name industry.

•••
Terrible

Not good. Went with them on price. Interface was OK for a few domains but not any quantity. Found that setting a domain to not auto-renew turns off features such as privacy protection and dns management. Domain transfers out take a week although I've never had to contact customer service related to a transfer out.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back