IT.COM

1and1.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The worst, ever. Cheap up front price, lots of hidden fees

Prebilled for a domain a month ahead of renewal time, when I told them I was going to transfer and to reverse the charge I was told it was not possible. They refused to allow my domain to be transferred and now say I owe them for the domain and also a $19 late fee because I disputed the domain charge with my bank. They will not unlock my account so I can transfer this domain or any of my other domains until I pay for the year of the domain I don't want with them along with the $19 late fee. I've spoke with several supervisors and they have even informed me they have sent me to collections. This seems like it has to be illegal. I'll likely end up paying the $25.00 just to get my account unlocked and get out of this bad bad nightmare. I was with directnic and godaddy before this and have never, ever had this sort of experience.

Take Action
If you've been screwed by 1and1, please file a complaint with the following organizations:

DC Area Better Business Bureau - http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?national=Y&compid=1040770
United States Federal Trade Commission - https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01
PA Attorney General's Office - http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/complaints.aspx?id=451
ICANN/Internic - http://reports.internic.net/cgi/registrars/problem-report.cgi

In most cases the company is listed as:
1 & 1 Internet Inc.
701 Lee Road, Ste 300
Chesterbrook, PA 19087
877-461-2631

Eventually these agencies which are geared towards consumer protection will recognize a trend and take appropriate action.

Last edited:
•••
what now?

So what should some of us newer folks do that made the mistake of registering a lot of names at 1and1? Periodically transfer the "keepers" to a better registrar or just deal with it and not use them for new purchases?

•••
•••
Pretty much just aviode them.

They have a very bad rep best thing to do is search the companys you buy from.

- John

•••
1and1 by far the best I ever dealt with.

I love these guys. I have dealt with so many hosting companies over the last 7 years, & I am so happy I found 1and1.com this spring. I have never been happier with any other host. Well, sure this is a domain registrar review, so, let's focus on that, even if they're great host, the registration process was quick & painless & extremely quick propagation.. nice competitive pricing.. fast quick transfering.. not a single complaint from me.. nothing but praise.. 1and1 will get my business for years to come :)

well.. ok, maybe one complaint.. damn control panel is slow..

•••
problem to transfer

i have been trying to transfer a group of names away but I am ready to have heart failure.

•••
Not a good domain registar for those who want to provide free subdomain service or anything related to subdomain.
They limit your subdomain to 5
only 5 :(
:!:

•••
69kHz said:
I love these guys. I have dealt with so many hosting companies over the last 7 years, & I am so happy I found 1and1.com this spring. I have never been happier with any other host. Well, sure this is a domain registrar review, so, let's focus on that, even if they're great host, the registration process was quick & painless & extremely quick propagation.. nice competitive pricing.. fast quick transfering.. not a single complaint from me.. nothing but praise.. 1and1 will get my business for years to come :)

well.. ok, maybe one complaint.. damn control panel is slow..

you must be on valium........... :ghost:

•••
im 50-50 with these guyswhen it comes to hosting they are great i get linux hosting 5gigs space 250 gigs bandwidth for just 17 dollars every 6 months (that ain't bad).but when it comes to domains i do go near them they suck with price ye propagation is quick but everything else is a nightmare .o and also the control panel is a bit slow and un organized.

So i a 0 stars for domains but 4 stars for hosting

my 2 cents

•••
great price/bad push transfers

IGNORE ALL THIS
I just heard Simon Jones' story.

Last edited:
•••
Great Review xD

Sux wee-wee lol

•••
Review

Avoid like the plague

Only good thing is the price. Customer service is v slow, newly purchased domains can take 24 hrs to become active as can nameserver changes. The control panel is horrendous. There is no way to cancel a domain in the control panel, at expiration date or otherwise.

NOTE: Further to reading and hearing about some issues with auto renew and unauthorised billing, I have written to 1and1 to ask them to cancel all my domains at the expiration date. They told me that domains can only be cancelled with immediate effect. That's not very useful.

It seems pointless renewing them there as they do not offer a free push and if a domain is sold do not offer a free transfer to another 1and1 account unless the new owner already has a previously purchased domain. Chances of selling and the sale price are thus highly reduced.

BTW, when I transferred one of my domains from them to GoDaddy, the whois info had been changed to Zimbabwe!!! It's as if they were annoyed at my transfer and did it to spite me.

I am through with these guys. I am just glad I didn't register too many domains with them. I advise anyone thinking of registering a domain for resale purposes to look elsewhere. I recommend GoDaddy as they excel where 1and1 fail miserably.

Matt.

Last edited:
•••
Don't ignore this post 1and1 is the absolute WORST regsistrar anywhere. THE WORST. Anyone that likes them has not received a bill from them yet. I had 1and1 years ago, just this year they send me a bill saying I owe them for domain registrations, mind you I have NO domains with them at all. The company they used to "collect" the debt was the worst company ever, they hung up me 4 times a day when I called. They laughed in the background, it was the most unprofessional service a company could ever use. I wrote to 1and1 and told them the whole story and they better NEVER contact me again. If there is a bottom of the pile they belong below the bottom. Cheers,

Acro

•••
Review

This "company" is not deserving of a review and should not be listed here with real
registrars. Their business is based on fine print and subjecting their "customers" to fine print clauses on how they must keep buying services and renewing domains automatically that they don't want. Most businesses are based on trying to provide a wanted service. There is no need to get involved with these people.

•••
Pure crap with a topping of horrible CS!

At first glance what they offer is great; domain registration for only 6$ with private WHOIS. It wasn't until I had colected 50+ domain names on their registrar that I learned the ugly side. 1) Their interface/process to complete most domain maintenance functions is backwards and confusing. 2) You cannot register a domain for more than 1 year, after which it will auto-renew. WTH? 3) Transfer and pushes are painful processes in which you receive no confirmation about what point of the process you are in and only to top all of this off WITH 4) The worst technology related customer support I have ever received. You thought Dell and Phone people were bad, they've got nothing on this bunch of script reading monkeys. Stay away from 1and1!

•••
Wait until they sue you... Then the fun really begins...It's the only registrar that sues people that I am aware of. Cheers.

•••
Rubbish!

Everything about them are rubbish.

I paid for my 3 domains that I bought from them last month, and today I received a letter in the post from them saying that the payment didn't go through, even though I have the confirmation email in my inbox, but they aren't having any of it!

Now they're threatening me with suspension.

...and the interface sucks.

•••
Are you mad as hell at 1and1.com?

Then do the stand up thing and COMPLAIN to everyone while your angry. You will soon be worn down by 8-X 1and1.com aka 1&1 Internet Services, Inc. 8-X and their collection agency NCO Financial (in the US) and won't have the energy later.

FOLLOW THIS LINK and its advise.

•••
bad idea to register a premium domain

don't trust 1and1 if you have a premium domain that's is available. i used to like them but when i register a great domain they let someone took it.

•••
Review Thread: 1and1.com

WARNING!!!

1and1.com DOES NOT register domains in real time.

It can take over 48 hours to get a domain registered.

This is especially important if you are trying to register
expired domains.

I started to track how long it was taking to register domains
with them because I kept seeing that domains I ordered were
not being registered.

Meanwhile other people were able to grab the domains because
they used a Registrar that works in real time.

When I checked the date and time the domains were registered
I saw the registrations were 7 hours to 36 hours AFTER I had ordered
the domains.

I contacted 1and1 and wanted to know why domains were taking so long
to get registered.

Their very unfriendly response was that domains take 24 to 48 hours
to get registered and there is nothing they can do about that.

They should have given notice about this extreme lag time.

They are the world's second largest hosting company but they suck
big time as a Registrar.

I suspect they are sending the domain registration orders to Schlund.de
their parent company and Schlund get to it when they get to it.

I have learned my lesson- no more 1and1 for me.

:td:

Patrick

•••
Yep, took ages for me. And when they say they've taken the money from you, they actually haven't yet.

I know this because I received letters saying i've not paid but i got an email saying thank you for the payment.

They are really, not a good service.

tricolorro said:
WARNING!!!

1and1.com DOES NOT register domains in real time.

It can take over 48 hours to get a domain registered.

This is especially important if you are trying to register
expired domains.

I started to track how long it was taking to register domains
with them because I kept seeing that domains I ordered were
not being registered.

Meanwhile other people were able to grab the domains because
they used a Registrar that works in real time.

When I checked the date and time the domains were registered
I saw the registrations were 7 hours to 36 hours AFTER I had ordered
the domains.

I contacted 1and1 and wanted to know why domains were taking so long
to get registered.

Their very unfriendly response was that domains take 24 to 48 hours
to get registered and there is nothing they can do about that.

They should have given notice about this extreme lag time.

They are the world's second largest hosting company but they suck
big time as a Registrar.

I suspect they are sending the domain registration orders to Schlund.de
their parent company and Schlund get to it when they get to it.

I have learned my lesson- no more 1and1 for me.

:td:

Patrick

•••
:hi:

I hope you don't use 1and1 but I'd like to make a correction to the
domain pricing chart.

1and1 charges $8.99 for .Biz domains.

Patrick

•••
1and1's $3.50 .com registration

The only thing good about 1and1 (GOD I hate there is no free push to another 1and1 account) is the $3.50us registration for .com's :) , lil loophole I found :)

•••
It's not a loophole -- IT'S A NOOSE! D-:
buckshotdots said:
The only thing good about 1and1 (GOD I hate there is no free push to another 1and1 account) is the $3.50us registration for .com's :) , lil loophole I found :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back