NameSilo

1and1.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have not used the american version but in Germany and in most of europle they are well known

•••
Review

I used one and one for a domain registration and website, and paid up front for a year, they changed their prices mid year, and took down my account as unpaid. Finally got through to someone in customer care and they told me I'd need to pay the new price to stay. Lost the domain, but that may have been partly because I didn't know what I was doing.

•••
They suck

While my first review for them was glowing they have since screwed me over. You can read the edit of my previous review on this thread to see what I am talking about. I was blinded by the cheap prices and loads of features you got for that money. I found out the hard way they are one of the worst companies in the business.

•••
I get wonderful statistics about visitors to my website. Every morning I'm like a child going to open a Christmas present when I go to open my site statistics. I understand 1and1 are not a good idea if you only want to register a name for a short time but if you have a stable portfolio of domain names they give you peace of mind knowing they will never allow a name to drop. I've had only a good experience with them so far; this contrasts with the trouble I've some registrars who charge many time more and give fewer features with your account.

Last edited:
•••
I tried them out with one domain. Very good price considering private registration is included in the base price. Control panel is ok. From what I've heard, and the lack of clear instructions on their site, this is probably not the place to go for frequent traders of domains. It's much better, as others have said, for those holding on to their names.

•••
I have used for just 1 name. For 5.99 you are OK. I would never use them for anything important

•••
good service

i didn't know there were these many 1and1 haters, but from my experience(i bought 24 domains through them), they have served me well, and i have had no problems with them so far.

•••
Well add my name to the list of people having trouble with their customer service. I have dozens of domains with them - I fell for the pricing - and bought hosting for one of the domains last week. Well, I can't ftp into the domain so I can't do anything with it, and talking to some mumbling young man on the customer service line yesterday, and an email today, have gotten absolutely no response. Also, what's really odd is that when they bill for the hosting, they don't attach the domain name to the package AT ALL, so you kind of have to keep track in your head about which hosting listing goes with which domain. Ridiculous!

•••
I think they are losing money on each sale.

•••
•••
Run and hide

I was lured by the glossy ads in the magazines. Do yourself a favor go with a real registrar not a high volume whore

•••
Confusing

I am trying to transfer a .name away. I am clueless how do get the code from these clowns

•••
appalling

Good cheap prices and hosting. Everything else rubbish, particularly the pathetically simplified user interface. All their own website building packages are a complete waste of time (a lot of time!) The customer service is the worst I've ever encountered. I've yet to speak to any of their support staff who I feel have ever been near a computer or finished primary school.

•••
Never ever reg a domain with them.

By far the worst registrar i have used

•••
Horrible

They are the worst registrar EVER! they robbed my $8 also. Stay away from them.. horrible horrible service.

•••
Review

I have been a customer for almost 2 years & I have never had one issue! I unlike others realize alot of the complaints seem to come from user error yet all the bandwagon people jump in with their stupid comments. I have had over 40+ domains with them without any sort of issue. My main request is they bill immediately instead of it being delayed.

Last edited:
•••
They are rubbish!

I would stay away from them. Takes weeks for a reply to your email and really slow....

•••
Review

In my experience, 1and1 offers a great price and overall good service. I've heard many complaints, but I have yet to experience any major problems. I did have one question that I sent to costumer service, and I received a confirmation immediately and a reply within 36 hours. Maybe some alternatives are better for more advanced users, but I found 1and1 perfect for my needs.

•••
Review

Am I missing something?
I've been using them for about a year. In fairness, I don't use them for hosting, per se, but for registering and managing parked, redirected or otherwise 'simply managed' domain names.

I found the service quick & easy. One caveat is their odd domain checkout form which has a minor (albeit AMAZINGLY ANNOYING) bug. I generally check domain availability from their general (non login) site because it offers more options if the domain is not available (i.e. it'll give you similar names, alternates and check other extensions). The same feature from within the users section (after you login) doesn't do this!
When you find an available domain and try to purchase it from the general (non-login) area there is an option to 'host it with a current account' BUT THIS FEATURE NEVER WORKS. I am asked for my username/password and then I'm forwarded into my account - but no new domain or even mention of it! It's as if I just I just did a plain sign-in.

That's an annoyance BUT they still offer cheap name registration (not aftermarket, just original names...) and for simple DNS / Forwarding, it's more than sufficient...

Ben

HBK216 said:
I have been a customer for almost 2 years & I have never had one issue! I unlike others realize alot of the complaints seem to come from user error yet all the bandwagon people jump in with their stupid comments. I have had over 40+ domains with them without any sort of issue. My main request is they bill immediately instead of it being delayed.

Amen to the billing... I'm in their bad books because of their funny billing scheme. It's not only that they bill late, it's that its as if its on some random timer. I find it highly improbably that their systems are so busy as to require waiting between 7 and 31+ days to bill your payment source. My main issue is that I provide a Paypal Sourced Credit-Card (a MasterCard where 'available credit' = what you have in paypal).

Money sitting in paypal is stagnant so I like to have only as much in there as I need. I like to keep enough money in Paypal but it's impossible to gauge when 1and1 will bill and for how much. I.E. you can buy 11 domains in an 11 day period and then have them all billed on the 12th day in one bulk bill - it makes no sense (logically, programmatically - so they bill one 10 days later and the other 1 day later?!)...

•••
They suck in the worst way. Avoid at all cost!

•••
Review

I use 1and1 for a lot of my domains. The price PLUS free privacy is the greatest value and feature. Their interface could use some improvement, but isn't the worst I've seen. Never really worked with their customer service, but I love how they bill me monthly as an invoice.

•••
•••
Review

So far so good. Price is great. I would recommend them.

•••
I like the service - hosting is another issue though

I like there services for registering domains a lot. Their control panel is not too bad to work with until you get into the hosting side of it. Then, they could use some better interfaces..

•••
One nice fact:

I agree with the bad stuff about 1and1, but also heard rumors about trouble transferring domains away from them. I tested on two domains (more than six months old), and was able to transfer to Godday with no trouble at all (same domain owner, new company).

So for some purposes, I do trust this terrible company.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back