Dynadot

$1 .COM, .NET, .ORG & .CA transfers - Rebel.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick

Top Member
Impact
Not sure if this is old news, but it's new to me. I stumbled on this because I bought a domain from someone and needed an account to receive by push:

$1 to transfer up to 20 .COM, .NET, .ORG or .CA domains to Rebel.com.

I just transferred 10 over and plan to do 10 more later. Total cost for 10 was $12 (including a $00.20 ICANN fee). For what it's worth, I also had to call in because I had some questions and their phone support answered almost immediately and was pretty helpful. I like their site's UI, too. Might have to consider using them more.

Untitled-1445983159-671.png

https://www.rebel.com/DomainTransfer.aspx

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My all Godaddy transfers confirmed now. There is no problem ;)

•••
•••
$1 promotion has ended :'(

as far as many members here are concerned, the $1 promotion has never really even begun. and that's sad indeed.

•••
Hello,

I just wanted to confirm that the promotion was ended yesterday afternoon. I apologize if my earlier message lead you to believe it would go much longer. This promotion, rather than being time-based, was more threshold driven. I wanted to thank you all for your interest in the promotion.

I do want to apologize for the few hiccups we encountered during the process. I will message a few of you directly regarding those issues.

•••
Hello,

I just wanted to confirm that the promotion was ended yesterday afternoon. I apologize if my earlier message lead you to believe it would go much longer. This promotion, rather than being time-based, was more threshold driven. I wanted to thank you all for your interest in the promotion.

I do want to apologize for the few hiccups we encountered during the process. I will message a few of you directly regarding those issues.
Wow! Just when i was about to try you guys with 4 of my domains?

Now that's sad.

•••
"The promotion" not worked for me 2 days ago.

•••
It didn't work for me too. It didn't accept visa credit card.. Website didn't answer my phone call too.

•••
Elmoney and Apprich, could you please let me know the types of errors you encountered? Was it the Premium Available error? Was it a payment error? I'd like to look into both of your cases. If you need to provide me with account details, please send me a direct message.

•••
@LeeRJ, I already sent you a message with complete details about issues and the situation.

•••
that seemed like a great offer to miss...!
gotta keep an eye on future offers from them

•••
@LeeRJ , please let your tech team know.

Rebel site was crashing ( was up again immediately ) . Never a good sign when technical stack trace dump is shown to customer.

Anyone else getting this error?

"An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request." with stack trace dump.

•••
The error message image did not get inserted in last post.

upload_2015-11-4_0-43-2.png

•••
My all transfers completed. There is no problem ;)

•••
damn i late, hope there is more

•••
I transferred 20 domains, I had used rebel.com in the past and had problems with support, they were slow to respond. But on this occasion live chat was available, I had similar issue not seeing the discounted pricing, they explained it happened at the cart, I simply needed to click next, Despite problems in the past the offer was too good to pass up ($160+ in savings vs standard pricing for me).

•••
I transferred 20 domains, I had used rebel.com in the past and had problems with support, they were slow to respond. But on this occasion live chat was available, I had similar issue not seeing the discounted pricing, they explained it happened at the cart, I simply needed to click next, Despite problems in the past the offer was too good to pass up ($160+ in savings vs standard pricing for me).

I assume you'd conclude this is a proven registrar, reliable etc.. and people's assets are in full security with them yes?

•••
I assume you'd conclude this is a proven registrar, reliable etc.. and people's assets are in full security with them yes?
Well as I am not cloaking my identity in any way, I need to be more careful than most I suppose.
Anonymity is great, without it comes accountability, and I am easily held accountable. So I will preface with I am not giving professional advice, and everyone should do their own due diligence in respect of registrar or any kind of business/trade supplier or partner.

Rebel.com was formerly Namescout. The issue I had with Namescout was resolved by Rebel.com, that issue was related to (non)registration of a .ooo domain I tried several other registrars, none could secure it for me.

I was satisfied that I could do business with them as I had done business with others in the same group of companies: name.com and pool.com specifically, also afternic.ca are all the same group "momentous". Their CEO seems to have 'pedigree' as he is active in WIPO & ICANN, and was part of both a Canadian & OECD 'domain name taskforce' and from what I can gather he founded Canada's Internet Registry.

The fact that .sucks TLD another of Momentous business operate from offshore is not a concern for me. But I cannot answer for others and I will not say there are no concerns for others in respect of where they park their domains. Check the terms. Be aware they state they will default to domains being charged for a 'protection' service unless you opt-out in your control panel. Also it does seem to me like they will take a very hard line on abuse and spam activities, I cannot say for certain but from my perspective its a good thing. I have no problem with hitting spammers at registry level and seizing multiple properties to make it hurt.

•••
Well as I am not cloaking my identity in any way, I need to be more careful than most I suppose.
Anonymity is great, without it comes accountability, and I am easily held accountable. So I will preface with I am not giving professional advice, and everyone should do their own due diligence in respect of registrar or any kind of business/trade supplier or partner.

Rebel.com was formerly Namescout. The issue I had with Namescout was resolved by Rebel.com, that issue was related to (non)registration of a .ooo domain I tried several other registrars, none could secure it for me.

I was satisfied that I could do business with them as I had done business with others in the same group of companies: name.com and pool.com specifically, also afternic.ca are all the same group "momentous". Their CEO seems to have 'pedigree' as he is active in WIPO & ICANN, and was part of both a Canadian & OECD 'domain name taskforce' and from what I can gather he founded Canada's Internet Registry.

The fact that .sucks TLD another of Momentous business operate from offshore is not a concern for me. But I cannot answer for others and I will not say there are no concerns for others in respect of where they park their domains. Check the terms. Be aware they state they will default to domains being charged for a 'protection' service unless you opt-out in your control panel. Also it does seem to me like they will take a very hard line on abuse and spam activities, I cannot say for certain but from my perspective its a good thing. I have no problem with hitting spammers at registry level and seizing multiple properties to make it hurt.

thank you so much for taking time to make this reply. I'm sorry if my message sounded like I am trying to get guaarantees about domain security there. what I meant to ask was about your personal experience so far. that's all anyone can ever ask for out of anyone else. thanks again! regards.

•••
Looks like I missed out because they want to charge me $16.99 to transfer a single domain.

•••
Be aware they state they will default to domains being charged for a 'protection' service unless you opt-out in your control panel.

Which 'protection' service is this? Where is it in the control panel? Is there a global setting to turn it off?

Panel shows 3 protection's

* privacy protection
* ownership protection
* expiry protection

This image shows the defaults in the panel for a domain. All three protection's are off by default??? Should I be looking for something else?

ii0SWVt.png

•••
thank you so much for taking time to make this reply. I'm sorry if my message sounded like I am trying to get guaarantees about domain security there. what I meant to ask was about your personal experience so far. that's all anyone can ever ask for out of anyone else. thanks again! regards.

Apologies if I was being over-defensive. New to the community, have not lurked, just dived in with both feet, so I just wanted be transparent, for all I knew you were about to share a horror story.

Which 'protection' service is this? Where is it in the control panel? Is there a global setting to turn it off?
Yes for me too -off by default . From schedule D of their terms: "The High Security service includes "Registrar Lock" and "Auto-renewal", described below. Rebel.com may introduce additional security features in the future."

I think essentially by what they say in 3.2, if you enable registrar lock, you will be charged.

"3.2 If you do not choose to have the High Security service as part of your Subscription Service, you must contact Customer Support by logging into your Rebel.com account at http://www.Rebel.com and disabling the High Security feature on those domains you choose not to protect. Your failure to expressly opt out of the High Security service constitutes your authorization and consent for Rebel.com to enable Registrar-Lock and Auto-renewal, and attempt to automatically charge your credit card the then-current retail price for such renewal"

•••
Anyone know any other cheap registrar i could transfer too?

$16 is just too much........

•••
"3.2 If you do not choose to have the High Security service as part of your Subscription Service, you must contact Customer Support by logging into your Rebel.com account at http://www.Rebel.com and disabling the High Security feature on those domains you choose not to protect. Your failure to expressly opt out of the High Security service constitutes your authorization and consent for Rebel.com to enable Registrar-Lock and Auto-renewal, and attempt to automatically charge your credit card the then-current retail price for such renewal"

Excerpt from https://www.rebel.com/terms-conditions.aspx
-------------------
Schedule D: Terms and Conditions Applicable to the High Security Service
1.Rebel.com has introduced a "High Security" service to address issues of domain name security. The High Security service is provided to you as a courtesy and helps to prevent domains you have registered from being unintentionally transferred, deleted, or expired. Unless you inform Rebel.com that you do not want this service, you will be automatically enrolled for Rebel.com's High Security service. The High Security service includes "Registrar Lock" and "Auto-renewal", described below. Rebel.com may introduce additional security features in the future.
-------------------

Does anyone have more info or clarity on this?

I am specially concerned about =>
"Unless you inform Rebel.com that you do not want this service, you will be automatically enrolled for Rebel.com's High Security service."

This is confusing. When does this "High Security Service" apply? Does the domain owner have to explicitly enable it or it is activated by default when domain is registered/transferred?

How do you know it applied to domains in your account? Do you have to opt-out for each domain? Can you opt-out permanently for all domain's in your account or will be in your account?

Would you not have to pay to enable it, so how can you be automatically enrolled without being charged at checkout during registration or transfer-in? What am I missing here?

Last edited:
•••
(cleaned up post, so removing quote of it)

@DNVantage I would hope you had to manually turn protection on, but to be on safe side I will email them tio let them know I dont want to have it

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I will email them to let them know I dont want to have it

Thanks Andrew, would you please keep us updated?

I think one would not need to do anything because it is not already enabled, but as you said, to be safe.

My confusion arises because this is a paid service, so how can it be enabled without payment? If it was to be enabled, then would not the charge be applied during registration or transfer-in. Is this applicable only at time of renewal? so do you have to opt-out anytime before renewal? I think the TOS wording is ambiguous, so would be nice to have clarification from Rebel. @LeeRJ ???

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back