NameSilo

1&1 internet stole my domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I bought the domain pfizer.us at 1&1 the other night. About 2:00 the following day I get an email saying that they needed to verify my account for security reasons( I have had an account there for several months). So I fax them my ID. Later I look at my account and it says the domain pfizer.us is not available. Then I get a letter from them saying that the domain was not available and they would give me a free domain. I checked and the domain had been registered that morning by someone else. I dont know what the domain might be worth, but I think at the least they are liable for not purchasing my domain when I paid for it, or possibly something far worse like putting my order on hold so that someone else could buy the domain. Any comments would be appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think you can do nothing against 1and1.Such things happens often. The site is already new registered and for sale again.
Check domaintools to find out more about the new owner.

Last edited:
•••
Dont Use 1and1 they do this often.

•••
Wouldn't that name have a trademark problem? Couldn't Pfizer just take the domain if someone reports it to them?

•••
Yes, I think so. To avoid trademark issues with this name its clever to use the forename in the url also for a personal website.
More info about Pfizer and the long history can be found at Wikipedia.

•••
They stole money from me too! They renewed my domains without notifying me every that they were going to expire, and then the same day i mail them, and they dont give me my money back. In return they blame me for everything saying that I should know when my domains are expiring and react accordingly.
1and1 sucks! >:(

•••
I personally would be very carefully with such statements about an etablisment organisation like 1and1 and thinking more about Trademark violation its better to not own a pfizer.tld

Last edited:
•••
HappyDay said:
I think you can do nothing against 1and1.Such things happens often. The site is already new registered and for sale again.
Check domaintools to find out more about the new owner.

HappyDay said:
Yes, I think so. To avoid trademark issues with this name its clever to use the forename in the url also for a personal website.
More info about Pfizer and the long history can be found at Wikipedia.

HappyDay said:
I personally would be very carefully with such statements about an etablisment organisation like 1and1 and thinking more about Trademark violation its better to not own a pfizer.tld

Welcome to NPs HappyDay.

Good advice "Happy" ..... and nice to see new members seriously contributing.

nn

•••
HappyDay said:

Just a couple of questions. Is this referring to what I said?
What do you mean by forename?

•••
ru1041 said:
Just a couple of questions. Is this referring to what I said?
What do you mean by forename?
The really didn´t stole your name.Dn_Hunter snapped the name if I remember correctly and I guess within a few seconds and such things happens every day and every hour and minute.
I meant the first name.
If someones name is pfizer he should better use first name + familyname instead of only pfizer.

Last edited:
•••
HappyDay said:
The really didn´t stole your name.Dn_Hunter snapped the name if I remember correctly and I guess within a few seconds and such things happens every day and every hour and minute.
I meant the first name.
If someones name is pfizer he should better use first name + familyname instead of only pfizer.

Sorry, but if you think what they did to me is acceptable, I have to disagree.
The name was available and I bought it. They had no right to sell it out from under me.
Small world, I see that dn-hunter is the one who bought the name. I have no complaints with him. I bought the name at 8:25 am on the 17th thru 1&1 and he bought the name at 9.05am (corrected for time change) on the same day, that's my point.

•••
I didn´t know there where around 30 minutes between both registrations.
But like I said before such things happens. Its disagreeable to hear that you had such a negative experience but you have learned a lesson.
Several years ago I had a similar experience with the registration of my 1. site (took 3 days) and I have learned from this.

Today I use a Domain registration robot and can register quickly.

Last edited:
•••
Dont use 1&1, everyone knows they are dodgy.

•••
1and1 is the only registrar I know of that does not register domains real time, not sure what their problem is but now I avoid them.

•••
1&1 has a horrible reputation for both domain registration and web hosting. Also, as a word of advice, stick to domain registrars for domain registration and web hosting companies for web hosting.

I would highly recommend the registrar TierraNet (Tierra.net) - they are the best registrar. I've tried all of the leading ones over the years, including but not limited to, eNom, NameCheap, GoDaddy, DomainSite, Moniker, MyDomain, and RegisterFly, and none compare to TierraNet. TierraNet has superior pricing, security, and customer support, all bundled in one awesome registrar. Check them out! :)

•••
I have posted an article on my blog about what to do about billing and other problems with 1and1
here.

I would welcome any comments or feedback.

1and1 :bah: :bah: :bah: :bah:

•••
DO NOT USE 1and1. I have bad experience for hosting and domain many years ago.

•••
DONOT USE 1and1

They are the worse among all..
Last year I lost my two CVCV.com and a keyword domain when transferring to GD.
they deleted the domain and someone snaps that up....
1and1 is a company established by two kids and they sucks..

-jd

•••
1and1 is actually a very big company with 40% ownership of Sedo.

Not that I defend them, I really hate their control panel and the lack of bulk changes, but they are not a small company. :)

Nastyrunner, they do have a point with the renewal. In 1and1 you have to actively change the renewal from automatic to manual if you dont want 1and1 to renew the domain names automaticly. Default when you register a domain name with them, the renewal is as default set to automatic renewal.

As others have said, 1and1 do not register instantly, so it can be up to 24-48 hours before they register the name you buy.

Actually they were the main reason that I took the step to become a domain reseller myself. Because of the problems with them, I wanted to have more control over my own domain names. :)

One good thing with 1and1 is, that they first charge the payment after 1-2 weeks after you have bought the domain names. So you dont have to have the money when you order/buy, just be sure you have them around 7-14 days after.

Sorry to hear about your problem ru1041, it seems the domain know is owned by pfizer.com, do you know how they got it?

•••
I've only heard good things about 1and1.. maybe that could because of there 1 year of free hosting offer ..not sure if they still offer that.

But the guy lost his domain because of a trademark dispute.

•••
1 & 1

I too have had problems with 1 & 1. I tried to renew some of my names and found I couldn't access my account. I rang their help line. They could not even locate my account; and when I asked about the specific domain names, I was told that they were registered to other people and not me. As they were not High value, and were due for renewal; I did not take the matter further. I have not used them since; and will never use them again after the comments I have just read here.
Thanks to all at NP
Regards
Ralph.

•••
I registered the domain KnowandGlow.com on Sept 19th and got the "Congratulations" screen saying I had successfully registered the domain. A couple days later when I went to set up the hosting and database, it was gone. I did a quick search on WhoIs and saw that is was registered within a couple days by someone else. I contacted the guy who registered it, but he wasn't interested in selling it. I had spent quite a bit of time designing the logo and am feeling crushed. Is it that 1&1 doesn't register domains realtime, or do people who work there happen to see domains they like and just grab them? I hate to sound all conspiracy-theorist, but it was pretty freaking strange how it transpired.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back