IT.COM

warning Someone attempting to sell my domain on Dan without consent

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
Has anyone recently had someone try to sell one of your domains on Dan?" A domain that you own and didn't authorize?
I had just posted my new purchase on NamePros Reg of the Day. I was having difficulty uploading the domain to my Dan account for unclear reasons.
When I put the domain name in the url, I saw that someone else has listed this without my consent and clearly without owning it.
Has anyone else on the forum had this experience, especially after posting a domain name here?
Hopefully the message sent just now to Dan will help resolve this promptly.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They may have owned it before you did and just not removed it from marketplaces.

•••
Are you sure it was not a previous owner who let the name drop but did not take it off DAN? That happens all the time.

But you can list it in your name automatically really easily.
1. Log into your DAN account and under settings find your ownership TXT code.
2. Go to the registrar where you have the domain name registered, making sure its DNS are set to the registrar default for now, and under DN Records create a TXT record with your unique code.
3. After a short wait, go to DAN and add the domain name. It will check the TXT code and will take the domain out of the other account and put it in yours.

Bob

PS If you are curious if someone owned it and let it drop, then you registered it, you can use HosterStats.com to look up if the name was owned previously.

Last edited:
•••
Has anyone recently had someone try to sell one of your domains on Dan?" A domain that you own and didn't authorize?
I had just posted my new purchase on NamePros Reg of the Day. I was having difficulty uploading the domain to my Dan account for unclear reasons.
When I put the domain name in the url, I saw that someone else has listed this without my consent and clearly without owning it.
Has anyone else on the forum had this experience, especially after posting a domain name here?
Yes, that's happening to me on occasion with domains previously owned by businesses, it's definitely happening after I share my purchase on a certain Slack channel.

It's OK, some people have nothing better to do. Just delete their listing..

Last edited:
•••
Definitely was not a name drop or previous registration. This is the first registration of the domain.
This particular Dan account has 468,118 listings as of this moment.
Thanks, Bob, for the information on the fix. Given my success with Afternic, though, this may be the nudge I've needed to start trying their parking instead.
Thank you, both, for the insight. Annoying situation, indeed. What puzzles me even more is, how someone could have almost a half million domains and list them on Dan?

Last edited:
•••
it's definitely happening after I share my purchase on a certain Slack channel.
That's what really surprised me here. I never had this happen before. This was my first time posting a "registration of the day." Perhaps it's safer to have a domain parked and listed prior to mentioning it on NamePros.

•••
That's what really surprised me here. I never had this happen before. This was my first time posting a "registration of the day." Perhaps it's safer to have a domain parked and listed prior to mentioning it on NamePros.
Thats the reason many of us don’t share things like that. We are competitors and there are always domainers lurking with low to no ethics. Sad but its a fact.

At least with DAN they have the verification code where you can fix it on your own by adding the code to your domains or DAN staff will help.

Last edited:
•••
not a big deal contact there support should get the domain in your account in less than few hours :)

•••
Thats the reason many of us don’t share things like that. We are competitors and there are always domainers lurking with low to no ethics. Sad but its a fact
Well, the good news is that there is a possibility that the domain was a residual listing. The Wayback machine showed some intermittent presence over the past two decades, including as recently as 2021. So, what I thought was potentially a pristine domain, never before seen in the world, turns out to be more of a worn shoe, now trodding off down a new path.
At least with DAN they have the verification code where you can fix it on your own by adding the code to your domains or DAN staff will help.
Yes, I'm trying to fix that at this point. I am having some technical difficulty using Namecheap's interface.
It's a reminder that the verification code is not just useful, it also may be protective if you have many, many domains and forget to remove them when dropped. Hopefully, that is what the problem turns out to be here.

•••
It doesn't stop there BTW. After sharing a certain purchase, NameSilo notified me that a login attempt was made from a certain IP, & I connected the dots so to speak..

So yeah, it's an industry with issues.

•••
Issues for sure.
Can you give link for dude with 400k domains at dan please
Definitely was not a name drop or previous registration. This is the first registration of the domain.
This particular Dan account has 468,118 listings as of this moment.
Thanks, Bob, for the information on the fix. Given my success with Afternic, though, this may be the nudge I've needed to start trying their parking instead.
Thank you, both, for the insight. Annoying situation, indeed. What puzzles me even more is, how someone could have almost a half million domains and list them on Dan?

•••
Hi

i'd suggest you check WB prior to creating such "subject titles" in the future.

The Wayback machine showed some intermittent presence over the past two decades, including as recently as 2021. So, what I thought was potentially a pristine domain, never before seen in the world, turns out to be more of a worn shoe, now trodding off down a new path.

it's part of "due diligence" to know your domains.

imo...

•••
Hi

i'd suggest you check WB prior to creating such "subject titles

The title still stands true, as of this past hour, someone else still is trying to sell the domain on Dan. Customer support has responded, and hopefully this will be rectified shortly. Whether a remote previous owner or other intent doesn't matter. It's not for them to sell.
The Wayback machine and HosterStats.com sound like a good idea prior to purchasing a domain.
There were additional reasons for me to be concerned about the situation, since the apparently Chinese seller had almost 500K domains. And this was my first and probably last "grumpy" name purchase, perhaps inviting trouble.
Do the aftermarket places usually have individual sellers with such large portfolios?

•••
Issues for sure.
Can you give link for dude with 400k domains at dan please
The seller's name is in Chinese. I sent a PM with the name and domains associated with the account.
Hopefully, it's simply an oversight on their part.

•••
Hi

i'd suggest you check WB prior to creating such "subject titles" in the future.

it's part of "due diligence" to know your domains.

imo...
Note that I had reported myself to the moderators shortly after the posting and seeing the other potential explanations. I was concerned that maybe the implication of intentional bad behavior was premature or unwarranted. They politely just declined the reporting.
Nonetheless, when registering a new domain from a registrar, there is no reason to expect that the domain would, that day, be found posted for sale in someone else's account.
Clearly, there need to be better ongoing verification controls out there. Not simply checks for the owner's first time of listing.
I do appreciate the feedback, though. Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited:
•••
To check you have control of the name to Sedo for instance and simply change the nameservers.
However, Dan will usually simply remove the offending domain if you ask.

•••

I've experienced this about a month ago, 2 of my domains were listed by username: 域名卖家 and both of them never been registered before. He/she has a lot of domains listed on Dan.com but I can't remember how many. I believe the domains are not belong to this person, not sure what the motive is but what makes sense maybe this user wants to take advantage of the Parking fee if the domain is parked at Bodis and you activate on Dan lander.
I immediately reported to Dan about this. I don't know what Dan has done to this user. If the user is the same, it means that this user has not been banned by Dan.

Last edited:
•••
•••
He has removed his profile picture from dan
@LoveCatchyDomains since we pm’d
Its a member here
It was
Listed by
域名卖家
Until couple hours ago. Now domain seller
I reported this 5 months ago, you reported it 2 months ago. They have done nothing about it. You cant park a name you dont have control of dns so its not parking.

•••
Not sure since the username have changed, unfortunately I didn't copy the URL of this seller but the username (域名卖家) saved in my conversation with Dan. If 域名卖家 is the same person of this account then yes we're talking about the same person.

•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
I honestly don’t see how this effects you. As long as they don’t have control over the domain, nothing can happen. If someone ends up buying it, Dan will ask them to transfer the domain and they won’t be able to and their account will get banned. No skin off your back!

Last edited:
•••
Listed by
域名卖家
This person went from 468,112 domains last night. I have screenshot.
Today they have 473,049 domains
https://dan.com/domain-seller/domai...1-479a9d7f7ca5?&results=50&order_by=relevance

Added 5000 names to that portfolio

That "seller" is a repeat offender. Same one that listed my domains---domains that had never been owned or registered before (I know how to check). See the attached screenshot, from one of the cases I reported back in February, same name*. And it's not just the name*; the link to their portfolio, which I'd shared with Dan Support at the time, is the same as the one you shared here. Went back to check (see screenshot).

Another case: Reg'd a never-been-owned domain. Listed it on AN only. Months later, decided to list it on Dan as well. Tried to and couldn't. Searched for the domain on Dan and 5 listings popped up... all for that 1 domain, all by the same seller in question.

The good thing is Dan has a support team that's often responsive and ready to help. Once you prove ownership of a domain, they take it off the other seller's portfolio... But it'd be even better if @DAN.COM could actually do something about that account.

name* -- Don't mean to offend, but I don't know if that's a name or just generic words. Maybe it means "domain seller" in Chinese? Saying this because a different account that listed one of my SH-listed domains on DAN had that same name.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 12.01.03.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 12.01.03.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 22.06.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 22.06.09.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 98
•••
Back