Dynadot

advice Your best domaining advice?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

THTMVATMEDNOATTop Member
Impact
Hey nP members,

we all have our individual experiences in domaining but we all have the chance to learn from each other in some way.
In this sense, I want to start a thread to ask YOU the following question:

What is currently your best domaining advice?

Thanks and all the best in your domaining,
kingof.top

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is a ton of information in domaining and if you read all of it then you will be more confused then when you began. Best advice is to stick to one category and try and perfect it before you move on to another. Brandables, Numbers, GEOs, Shorts etc..... there are lots of different directions to choose. Pick one and eat, sleep and breathe it for a few months and the chances of you being good at it go way up.

•••
sold prices give a person a fair idea of a domain names worth and any domain name is worth what it is and any domain name is only worth what a person is prepared to pay for it
True, but it's not a perfect comparison. Previous sales tell you what one person was willing to pay for a domain, it doesn't necessarily mean multiple people would pay that much or even that the domain itself is that valuable. Occasionally a sale goes through where people say "wtf?" because it's not as valuable as the person paid, but then again you only need one buyer to make a sale. Everyone's idea of value changes as time passes and new sales occur, you just have to stay aware of the current market.

•••
True, but it's not a perfect comparison. Previous sales tell you what one person was willing to pay for a domain, it doesn't necessarily mean multiple people would pay that much or even that the domain itself is that valuable. Occasionally a sale goes through where people say "wtf?" because it's not as valuable as the person paid, but then again you only need one buyer to make a sale. Everyone's idea of value changes as time passes and new sales occur, you just have to stay aware of the current market.

i originally had a small portfolio of aprox 70 domains which has reduced in size to 50 ish which is about where i want it to be where just one or 2 sales per year cover the cost of renewals and just add a couple here or there subject to them being good quality domains preferably .coms or new gtld's etc

•••
My best domaining advice for the long run is the TLD .top

•••
1) long term investor or short term? Be realistic
2) Study niche- Acronyms, Numerics, Brandables, Keywords, Traffic, Geo's, etc!
3) Niche is selling at what price?... enter the market making SMART buys (under market value)
4) List the domains for sale..SEDO, GD, BB, Flippa, NP...anywhere except not for sale
5) NEVER invest in domains unless you sell other domains. (after your first initial investment)
6) Reputation is more important than money. (Be honest, fair, trustworthy, and network!)

By sticking to these rules... not only have I made some good investments and profits but I also have made some great friends along the way!

Cheers!

•••
my best advice

we have to learn to listen !

for example

Mark Zuckerberg named his daughter Maxima ( Chan Mingyu ) after his wife Priscilla Chan
but the translations says Chen Mingyu

so everywhere in the world is the wrong name

People believe what they see and don,t pay attention anymore

https://www.namepros.com/threads/who-is-chan-mingyu-maxima.941380/

•••
Buying Books and Educating yourself is not shameful - We Live and DIE learning!

Once you start believing that you know it ALL and no one is on top of you - Just realize that it's the beginning of the end!

This Applies to ANY business - and in this case, Domaining!

•••
•••
•••
i reckon domainers will find through making the odd mistake or two etc what works for them

•••
•••
1. When buying or regging a domain, have a plan from the beginning for how you are going to make money from the name: outbound to end user, inbound by listing on specific platform, by auction, parking, etc.

2. Before you buy give yourself a budget and stick to it. Don't get caught in "auction fever".

3. Keep good and honest records so you know when, if, and how much you are making or losing.

4. You will make mistakes. Don't hold on to a bad investment; especially don't keep renewing a loser. Dump it for nickels or let it go.

5. Learn how to look for drops and how to buy at auction, closet, etc. of registrars, especially GD which is where 80% of domainers' names are regged.

6. Find a buddy or mentor and communicate with them, share ideas, bounce your questions off of them, learn from their experience.

7. You never go broke by taking a profit. Don't cry over money you leave on the table. You don't own that domain anymore; learn from it and move on.

8. Don't try to hit home runs. Single are good.

9. Be wary of fads, but don't be afraid to jump on board... just carefully. The trend is your friend, but too much trend is your enemy.

10. Especially in the beginning, find a niche and focus on it; learn what you can. There is money to be made in brandables, 4L's, 5L's, keywords, numerics, new TLD's, etc.... but you don't have the bandwidth to learn them all.

•••
1. When buying or regging a domain, have a plan from the beginning for how you are going to make money from the name: outbound to end user, inbound by listing on specific platform, by auction, parking, etc.

2. Before you buy give yourself a budget and stick to it. Don't get caught in "auction fever".

3. Keep good and honest records so you know when, if, and how much you are making or losing.

4. You will make mistakes. Don't hold on to a bad investment; especially don't keep renewing a loser. Dump it for nickels or let it go.

5. Learn how to look for drops and how to buy at auction, closet, etc. of registrars, especially GD which is where 80% of domainers' names are regged.

6. Find a buddy or mentor and communicate with them, share ideas, bounce your questions off of them, learn from their experience.

7. You never go broke by taking a profit. Don't cry over money you leave on the table. You don't own that domain anymore; learn from it and move on.

8. Don't try to hit home runs. Single are good.

9. Be wary of fads, but don't be afraid to jump on board... just carefully. The trend is your friend, but too much trend is your enemy.

10. Especially in the beginning, find a niche and focus on it; learn what you can. There is money to be made in brandables, 4L's, 5L's, keywords, numerics, new TLD's, etc.... but you don't have the bandwidth to learn them all.

great advice and some good phrases to remember

•••
My best domaining advice for the long run is the TLD .top
Please don't mislead new domainers

Please don't mislead new domainers
I'll second that.

No, in the opposite.
I speak to those which have the needed patience.
.top is part of the new domain history and everyone can be part of this part.
It's my best domaining advice, everyone can but no one must follow it.

•••
•••
A. Keep your mind open and learn, learn, learn.

B. Rely on facts and data, more than your own thoughts and feelings.

C1. Work hard...

C2. If that is not enough, work harder...

C3. If that is not enough, change business.

D. Dare to drop names, to buy BETTER ones.

•••
My Advice would be to never to ask members for a domain evaluation on NP or any other forum for that matter.

Rather do your own research, see what other domains sold for in the same nice, same keywords, or similar keywords and above all take the actual brand-ability into consideration.

•••
•••
•••
•••
I am a fair domainer, who has done good, not like some of the experts here who make a living at it,
But my advice is based on what has worked for me. I only reg dot com, actual product or services names,
or typos of same,that are commercially viable. I don't reg made up names, there are a ton of names that can be made up' available for reg fee if a company wants to go that route like color combo with animal name like
blueturtle fatturtle fat sparrow skinny sparrow (just an example they may be registered) that's just mixing colors and animals, but millions of 2 word combos that are easy to spell and remember are available. at reg fee. I also read a lot of news headlines so I can catch trends.
I am sure others have things that work better for them. So glean what you think might help, but I still see thousands of made up names which will most likely never sell.
good luck
Joe T

•••
Just buy, don't think.
If you think, you will regret for not buying it in the first place when you had the opportunity to do it.
Live without regrets.
Life is an experience.

•••
Many who are new to domaining will buy 100 names in their first month with this exact thought, "I just need to sell one name to cover my entire investment, and all my other sales will be gravy..."

Nope.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back