Dynadot

discuss You thought 2015 was crazy? ...Get ready for 2016

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Josh R

Josh.coTop Member
Impact
There are only 456,976 4L combinations... How many new "domainers" do you think entered the industry in 2015?... The answer is way way way more than ever before.

Get ready for a serious price hike in 2016. Especially on the western premium letters. ( people are forgetting that they have value as well)

I would expect that by June/July 2016 you'll see a floor price of $1,000 for any LLLL.com.

There's currently a temporary charade on all of these new gTLD's, but it will not last for long... There's a bunch of sales techniques and marketing strategies going into the promotion of these new gTLD's from some of the big names in this industry... Unfortunately the average domain investor/newbie will get dragged into the big charade and will ultimately lose a lot of money.

There will also be the odd startup company that tries their luck with one of the new extensions.... Startups like EatClub.com quickly realized that the .com was absolutely crucial and the .club gTLD would simply not work. Why do you think larger company's like LendingClub.com don't owner Lending.Club?.. It's simply a waste of money.....

.XYZ registry owns XYZ.com... I wonder why? ... .oh yea, com is king.

Don't be fooled. These registries are making an absurd amount of money on all these registrations and renewals, and I don't blame them for reporting the odd sale for large amounts of money and heavily promoting these gTLD's at events like Namescon. It's normal. It's an absolute gold mine for them!

Anyone who's new to the industry and feels the urge to get sucked into this money making charade, feel free to shoot me a PM or talk with other members on the forum. There are plenty of people here who are constantly helping the newer crowd... (I'm not getting paid to promote gTLD's, so I'll tell you the truth)

There are those that will disagree, but the future remains in the .com extension. Invest in short generic names and ideally keep your portfolio below 100 domains. Focus on quality rather than quantity.

With the Chinese entry in its infancy, you'll start to see a huge rise in demand for the short .com domains.

Happy Monday,
Axorees

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great post - for a dot-com lover! Sales techniques? This post sounds a perfect pitch for something you have that you want to sell!

Folks, the world is witnessing a domain name revolution. You can choose, as this post is indicating, to stay in the sidelines and watch and wag your fingers and say "bah, those harbingers of change don't know nothing'", or you can be part of it. Join in, jump in, dip your toes, and be part of the market of the future! The value of the new gTLD's will not be determined by naysayers or humbugs, but intrisic value each and every name holds, whether it be to endusers, domainers or collectors. And that value is not something that someone else other than the holder can truly determine.

Anyhow, love your optimism for your dot-coms, and keep it rollin!

•••
FS, MB, blogs like ML, OD are trying their best to promote new gTLDs (directly/indirectly).

Some people sucked into it due to the marketing brilliance/image of the people. These people will soon realise the reality.

One thing is sure...2016 will be much more interesting than 2015 (upside/downside).

•••
I kind agree with you about gTLDs, they will be big failure however your post sounds like promoting 4L.com anyway everybody can make their own judgement and go whichever way they want.

•••
I kind agree with you about gTLDs, they will be big failure however your post sounds like promoting 4L.com anyway everybody can make their own judgement and go whichever way they want.
Short premium .coms in general. 5N, 4L, 1 word etc etc

•••
There is an old stock market saying which I think applies to the domain market right now.
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."

Interesting times for sure.

•••
it's my belief that especially the 6Ns (followed by 7N) will shine this year since they allow for a great ROI still at low entry costs compared to 5N, 4L and others which are already too high for the masses.. easy to see also on Chaomi since the past weeks..

reg. all other niches, i am not too sure which ones will be gold and which one not.. got to monitor all developments closely..

•••
Not convinced on 7N.... Just too difficult to remember.

I think most will agree to invest in .com though.

•••
Folks, the world is witnessing a domain name revolution.

It's actually not. :xf.cool:

If you were into this for any more than 30 days, you would know that by now friend.

Remember the TV show Lamb Chops Playalong? - "The Song That Doesn't End"

This 'gTLD is the future!' nonsense is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end...

gTLD's are spammy, and used by spammers as a cheap way to scam/confuse people, there are very few that make logical sense, and they are confusing to the general public.

Just as almost every single new TLD has been - ever.

Most people have no idea what .NET is, let alone .ninja lol.

I would expect that by June/July 2016 you'll see a floor price of $1,000 for any LLLL.com.

I agree with this.

I don't think anyone will have to promote 2L, 3L, 4L domains as they are in demand by end users. I have thought it possible that all 4L.coms would normalize at a liquid price of $800 - $1000 USD. Only time will tell.

It's all educated guessing at the end of the day. For all we really know 5L chips could explode in demand and price tomorrow. O_o

•••
What? You are both saying 4L.com CHIPS are going to fall to $1k by mid-year?

•••
What? You are both saying 4L.com CHIPS are going to fall to $1k by mid-year?

I don't think that's what he is saying... but wether all 4L's normalize to $800 - $1k or not - 4L.com floor will reach $800 - $1k at some point this year - in my opinion of course.

•••
I don't think that's what he is saying... but wether all 4L's normalize to $800 - $1k or not - 4L.com floor will reach $800 - $1k at some point this year - in my opinion of course.

So it's LLLL's with western non-premium letters which will go to $800 - $1k? But aren't they all CHIPS except those with a V?

•••
So it's LLLL's with western non-premium letters which will go to $800 - $1k? But aren't they all CHIPS except those with a V?

I think that if it has 4 letters and ends in .COM the floor will be $800 - $1000 at some point this year.

How 'chips' will preform is anyones guess. As long as they continue to be traded (and valued) as a digital currency, and not as useable website addresses, their destiny can turn at any point.

Either way, investing based on end user need/desire is always a safer and more lucrative play.

•••
There is an old stock market saying which I think applies to the domain market right now.
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."

Interesting times for sure.
Great quote!

•••
Anyone know what media coverage is like in China regarding the domain industry?

•••
Instead I believe that new gtld will have a shiny future. I'm sure not in 2016 and neither in 2017 but maybe in years like 2022 or so on it could be a total different story.
However at the moment I do not put money in those domains and probably the only one that will have a future will be the kind keyword1.keyword2 short and without a crazy renewal fee.
Just my opinion

•••
I think it's to late to get into the 4-5L/N chip-or-not market ... as far as I'm concerned most of the valuable ones are registered and enduser sales will continue to be very low if not lower in 2016, in short this is yesterdays news.

The new gTLDs are exactly that, they are 'new' and anyone trying to predict there future at this point is waffling on.

Why do we have to PM you here to find out the supposed 'truth' about new TLDs, why can't tell us here in this thread.

A lots of namePros members have invested in new gTLDs including myself and we would like you to substantiate your facts here.

Last edited:
•••
I think it's to late to get into the 4-5L/N chip-or-not market ... as far as I'm concerned most of the valuable ones are registered and enduser sales will continue to be very low if not lower in 2016, in short this is yesterdays news.

The new gTLDs are exactly that, they are 'new' and anyone trying to predict there future at this point is waffling on.

Why do we have to PM you here to find out the supposed 'truth' about new TLDs, why can't tell us here in this thread.

A lots of namePros members have invested in new gTLDs including myself and we would like you to substantiate your facts here.
You aren't new to the industry.
Feel free to make your own decisions... I'm sure you have more .coms than any other extension right?

I just don't like witnessing all the new people seeing all this marketing on gTLD's and throwing lots of money into it... They can if they want, but IMO they are being misguided...

•••
I don't see big companies moving away from .com anytime soon...do you?

•••
Obviously now is not the moment but like the people that are making money with LLL.com have bought those names long time ago. At least 3 years ago for the big average

•••
it's my belief that especially the 6Ns (followed by 7N) will shine this year since they allow for a great ROI still at low entry costs compared to 5N, 4L and others which are already too high for the masses.. easy to see also on Chaomi since the past weeks..

reg. all other niches, i am not too sure which ones will be gold and which one not.. got to monitor all developments closely..

I agree. Although 7N will maybe take another year more.

•••
Big companies make up just a small number of domain sales, enduser demand for new gTLDs is bound to increase in coming years.

A presence on a new gTLD is not an obstacle to becoming a big company as I'm sure we will see in the coming few years.

•••
I am currently negotiating a $x,xxx deal with multi-million startup that went with new gtld at launch and now realized that they better have .com

•••
I am currently negotiating a $x,xxx deal with multi-million startup that went with new gtld at launch and now realized that they better have .com
This has already happened many times.

Best of luck with the sale... Although I know you don't need it. They know that it's a must.

•••
Great post. My take is that .com will always be on top, but that doesn't mean nTLDs won't gain at least some traction.

Compare the domainer market to the NBA (for those of you who watch basketball). Michael Jordan (.com) is considered by 99.9% of people to be the greatest ever and probably always will be. While there are other greats as well, like Magic Johnson(.net) and Wilt Chamberlain(.org), MJ(.com) holds value. Now there are also another strong tier of all time greats like Larry Bird(.info), Isiah Thomas(.biz), sometimes they are forgotten when a new, flashy player comes along, like Steph Curry (.Club, etc.). While the new guys certainly make a big splash in the game, it isn't entirely clear if they will officially surpass the tier above or if the will pass as a fad, only because we can't read the future.

Not the best metaphor ever, but the domain industry is still only 20ish years old right? Only time will truly tell, but for now, we can rest assured with .com.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back