Labeled as question in General Domain Discussion, started by NameDeck, Oct 19, 2020
Ahh, ok. Now I understand what that means
There's a few errors in this statement. there may be a few registrars which block transfers of registered domains up to 60 days after a previous transfer, although the rule from ICANN is that you can do the transfer at any time after a previous renewal/transfer, but if it is transfered within 45 days of the previous transfer, you will not get an additional year added to the expiry date. Why? Because they refund the previous registrar for the renewal and then the payment for the transfer, just brings the domain back up to the current registration date.
I have successfully argued with the previous registrar that because they have been refunded, they should refund me. And been refunded. But most registrars, and now including the registrar that refunded me, will refuse to refund you, quoting some clause in their ToS (usually), which is borderline stealing funds which rightfully belong to us. Which we cannot argue with since we have accepted their ToS.
Thanks for that. Never knew. Like I said, it's something I never actually tried untill earlier this year. I think it was between day 50-60.
You get that status everytime, however, you will not be able to transfer once you initiate it as you would need to wait for the 60 days rule to end.
Are you sure? I checked 100 newly registered domains spread across the most popular registrars and none of them come up with EPP status: ok.
I don't have a handreg young enough to try and unlock.
I get the 60 day rule but as mentioned in the opening thread, that rule is not imposed on us by ICANN so who's rule is it?
Every Dynadot registration for example gets that status, however, you cant transfer it. I have seen with other registrars too
hmmm I deal or dealt with some 15 registrars. all of them block transfer within 60 days of both regging and transfering to them. so as far as I know it is not some ..as u say it
maybe use godaddy, or wait until after 60 days before trying to sell your names.
then, you might get a chance to learn something about them, during that time.
if you don't know anything about the name, except it's name.....
then how do you know you're getting equitable price for it?
The 60 days is here to protect everyone. I am comfortable with the wait as @biggie mentions but doesn't make it clear you can push between accounts at godaddy.
Via SN? I think they work with registrars on Venus
everybody and his grandmom
knew that already, Samer
What does this even mean? It was an inbound, so I wasn't actively trying to sell it...I just got lucky
And as for getting an equitable price. I priced it based on some research and the buyer bought it at the BIN price. So I'm happy and they seem to be happy too
Other than the delay in transferring the name/getting paid, I'm quite happy with the situation. But then again, I'm not sure what your post means so maybe I'm missing something?
3.9 Instances when the requested change of Registrar may not be denied include, but are not limited to:
3.9.4 Domain name registration period time constraints, other than during the first 60 days of initial registration, during the first 60 days after a registrar transfer, or during the 60-day lock following a Change of Registrant pursuant to Section II.C.2.
This seems to confirm your experience, and the transfer policy is dated 2016. Way before my experience. But I can assure you that I have certainly been able to transfer domains away from NameSilo between 45-60 days were up in the last 18 months. But I've stopped buying in their auctions. So don't know if they now have made that 60 days. But the transfer policy seems quite complicated for mere mortals to understand easily. I certainly recall there being a 45 day rule restriction on adding a 1 year renewal on transfers. Which I don't see any more in this policy. But NameSilo still refer to it.
"As mentioned above, 1 year will be added to the existing expiration date upon transfer completion.
** The only times the extra year is not added to the expiration date is if the domain had been renewed at the previous registrar within 45 days of the transfer" So either they are out of date, or this is addressed in some other document. (this is inbound, but I suffered from this on outbound too, when they released the domain 1 day earlier than ICANN dates, and they gave me a refund).
Which is why I expressed my viewpoint so confidently. But I'm always happy to stand corrected, although I'm not convinced I am 100% wrong
Interesting. Just to be clear, so that would mean that when you renew and transfer away, let's say the day after you renewed, you wouldn't get an (second) additional year of registration at your new registrar? That can't be right.
If you hand register a new name and change the owner registration name in your account at GD, they send a confirmation email giving you the option of: "lock for 60 days" or "unlock prior to 60 days".
An auto message confirms, says it will take 5-7 days to complete. I don't know if that makes a difference? I always thought it was a 60 day hold from the start (ICANN), maybe it's possible prior, I haven't tried
That's exactly my understanding. And has happened to me between days 43-44 after renewal before. When NameSilo's timetable was slightly earlier than ICANN's timetable. Because. ICANN refund the original renewal (or used to?) to the previous registrar, and so it is only renewed once out of two renewals. I would guess at least 99.9% of the time the losing registrar doesn't offer the refund to the original registrant. The 45 days comes about by being the same length of time as account settlement of the registrar. As I have said. I have successfully argued to NameSilo should refund me, and they did. Kudos to them. But they warned they would close this loophole. I don't know if they ever did. Since it should be a legitimate refund, IMHO.
Probably one the most well-phrased and objective questions in the history of domaining. We're adding this (and all the relevant answers) into one of our internal training sessions.
Thanks for not just accepting it's an ICANN policy but actually (ACTIVELY) researching it!
The newly registered domain name in China can be transferred as long as the account is transferred.
At least That's what I did with the ALIYUN registrar
I would add that both the losing registrar NameSilo, and the gaining registrar Dynadot, both informed me of this 45 day restriction on the newer renewal, would not be applied, even though it was paid. For the reasons stated above. It really made me upset, because NameSilo lifted the restriction on transfer too early. Earlier than ICANN's count of the 45 days. After this experience, which happened maybe around 5 or more times, I added 4 days to when NameSilo allowed the transfer. So I wouldn't fall foul of this again.
i just chat registrar (InternetBS) they told me
if it is a newly registered domain then the 60 days lock is set at .com registry level so we don't have control over that transfer lock.
This is a registry restriction and we will not able to bypass this restriction.
So, if you own the registrar, you can't do anything
is there a verisign rep here?
Separate names with a comma.