Dynadot

.org Why I am bullish on .ORG: Plutocratic guilt!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you going to be buying more .ORG in Q4 2019?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
A few folks have been asking about why I have recently become more bullish on .ORG. I thought the topic deserves a post, and perhaps some debate.

In short, the reason why I think .ORG will have a healthy after-market in the coming years is because of what some have called "Plutocratic Guilt". It is a term I learned from a fellow Seattleite named Nick Hanauer who probably has a bit of it -- he is really rich and he likes to talk about it, but then he also likes to philosophize about how rich people need to give back more to society. It started with his 2014 TED Talk:

The sad reality of the world is that the rich do keep getting richer and the poor are mostly staying poor and/or getting poorer, while much of the middle class gets obliterated. The GDP per capita data uses an average to mask this trend but the Gini coefficient of inequality clearly shows that income inequality is getting worse.
upload_2019-11-3_13-53-32.png

As for what to do about, it, my recipe is really simple: sell to rich people. We already do that at Epik, e.g. during October we sold 3 domains above $250K each. However, eventually rich people have enough stuff, and enough businesses. At some point, they start to care a lot more about their "legacy", which is one reason you see elaborate donor recognition walls in high visibility places. More examples here.

upload_2019-11-3_14-36-27.png

However, if you are really rich, you set up a Foundation e.g. the Gates Foundation, or more recently, the Chan Zuckerburg Initiative, etc. It is some mix of estate planning, philanthropy, tax shelter and (hidden) agenda. Most philanthropic funds are actually in the US and likely that pattern continues for the foreseeable future. Most US philanthropies choose .ORG as their extension.

upload_2019-11-3_13-46-39.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I love to see proposals
of what might be an interesting topic to be read

I know alreay that epik is the best registrar under the sun
and has a lot to offer

but its getting harder
Show attachment 134054
Lol. I am on the forum a lot. People come and go in spurts. It's clear that he posts topics that resonate.

Should he change his avatar? :)

So sorry, no more off topic from me. :)

•••
It's a tough call for me. A fine line between contribution and promotion.

I agree that it's a tough call for some considering that Rob's threads stimulate so much discussions which otherwise wouldn't be there, NamePros might become a little boring without Rob.

Last edited:
•••
However, if you are really rich, you set up a Foundation e.g. the Gates Foundation, or more recently, the Chan Zuckerburg Initiative, etc. It is some mix of estate planning, philanthropy, tax shelter and (hidden) agenda. Most philanthropic funds are actually in the US and likely that pattern continues for the foreseeable future. Most US philanthropies choose .ORG as their extension.

Research the Congressional Reece Committee on Tax-exampt Foundations from the 1950's and the final report submitted by Norman Dodd that discusses the findings and what such foundations are really about. In most cases their 'Philanthropy' is a euphemism for social engineering and in their words, cultural subversion.

•••
I do not like threads to be so personal, as I have direct experience from getting lot of heat myself in many thread related to new gTLDs. I therefore suggest everyone who thinks the thread is promotional to use Report button, which is in line with Namepros rules, and send short message about it. This way you will notify Namepros management about your opinion, and it is your right to do so.

It is up to them to judge whether the thread is indeed promotional. If so, I am sure they will move it to appropriate section, as I have direct experience they are very fast to move threads if they do not belong to correct section. If they judge it is not promotional. then it stays here, and basically all posts about it beying promotional are off topic (and can be even deleted if I read the rules right...). Rules must be valid for everyone.

The thread was originally about why Rob thinks that hand - regging 100 .org domain names is a good idea, particularly for people from emerging countries - we should discuss that. I personally think it is a bad idea, and I have posted my arguments in that direction, and I am looking forward for good arguments in opposite direction.

But there is not need to be personal or attack someone - just use Report buttton, to get the right attention of people responsible, if you have any concerns :)

•••
I do not like threads to be so personal, as I have direct experience from getting lot of heat myself in many thread related to new gTLDs. I therefore suggest everyone who thinks the thread is promotional to use Report button, which is in line with Namepros rules, and send short message about it. This way you will notify Namepros management about your opinion, and it is your right to do so.

It is up to them to judge whether the thread is indeed promotional. If so, I am sure they will move it to appropriate section, as I have direct experience they are very fast to move threads if they do not belong to correct section. If they judge it is not promotional. then it stays here, and basically all posts about it beying promotional are off topic (and can be even deleted if I read the rules right...). Rules must be valid for everyone.

The thread was originally about why Rob thinks that hand - regging 100 .org domain names is a good idea, particularly for people from emerging countries - we should discuss that. I personally think it is a bad idea, and I have posted my arguments in that direction, and I am looking forward for good arguments in opposite direction.

But there is not need to be personal or attack someone - just use Report buttton, to get the right attention of people responsible, if you have any concerns :)

is posting misleading information
against namepros rules?

•••
There should be a "gripe" thread somewhere on this forum......

Everyone can then vent and air any grievances and get it off their chest. Would also give people the chance to clear the air with each other on different subject matters without clogging other threads......

•••
is posting misleading information
against namepros rules?
What is misleading can be debated. For example, I think hand - regging those 100 .org names is not good idea. And I am willing to debate it. After debate, everyone can make their opinion. This is the function of the forum.

Promotion is another thing - it is up to mods to decide. Those who think this (promotion) is happening, can use Report button. At least this is how I personally understand the rules here.

•••
The thread was originally about why Rob thinks that hand - regging 100 .org domain names is a good idea, particularly for people from emerging countries - we should discuss that.

We should also be tolerant to a certain degree of people using examples to prove their point. Domainers often refer to the domains that they own to make a point and Rob sometime uses the services and capabilities of Epik to do the same and as long as it is not done for the sole purpose of promotion then we should not be so hard on him.

Although as I already said any Direct promotions or anything intentionally disguised as such should be done in the appropriate section of the forum.

IMO

•••
What is misleading can be debated. For example, I think hand - regging those 100 .org names is not good idea. And I am willing to debate it. After debate, everyone can make their opinion. This is the function of the forum.

Promotion is another thing - it is up to mods to decide. Those who think this (promotion) is happening, can use Report button. At least this is how I personally understand the rules here.

actually I care less for a promotional post
personally, I 'm more concerned about misleading information

•••
And that is fine .. the "misleading" information you can freely debate here - give facts, arguments, numbers, statistics, etc...

•••
And that is fine .. the "misleading" information you can freely debate here - give facts, arguments, numbers, statistics, etc...

I have some work to do
let the OP prove it's true
what he claims

•••
We should also be tolerant to a certain degree of people using examples to prove their point. Domainers often refer to the domains that they own to make a point and Rob sometime uses the services and capabilities of Epik to do the same and as long as it is not done for the sole purpose of promotion then we should not be so hard on him.

Although as I already said any Direct promotions or anything intentionally disguised as such should be done in the appropriate section of the forum.

IMO
Totally agree with you. You know, it is all matter of balance ..when things are going little off balance, people start to voice concerns. Little promotion is hidden in many posts we all do here, it is natural. But when there are more concerns, something is more intensive/repeative, then there are ways (Report button) to handle it more effectively - ad hominem posts are not best way to go, imo.

•••
I would feel bad making a profit from .org as the general public sees them related to non-profit organisations / charities. I think restrictions should be placed on its use.

By inflating prices it means that ultimately less money goes to those in need. I think the promotion of .org in this way is unethical.

Last edited:
•••

If someone said that you can hand register a domain today and sell it the next day for a million dollars you can't claim that their post is misleading and that should be deleted, all you can do is to post a comment that indicates that you don't agree with that claim and perhaps prove them wrong by presenting your arguments as an experienced domainer.

IMO

•••
If someone said that you can hand register a domain today and sell it the next day for a million dollars you can't claim that their post is misleading and that should be deleted, all you can do is to post a comment that indicates that you don't agree with that claim and perhaps prove them wrong by presenting your arguments as an experienced domainer.

IMO

I guess its enough
to explain that it's
not exactly quite true

and the motivation may be a promotional effect

who pays for the hours needed
to post an expert prove?

•••
I love to see proposals
of what might be an interesting topic to be read

I know alreay that epik is the best registrar under the sun
and has a lot to offer

but its getting harder
Show attachment 134054

Ooops, I did it again. NamePros Trifecta.

The promo stuff has been removed from the threads -- I give NP mods free reign to edit my posts to remove content that they deem to be promotional. Hopefully they don't destroy the substance!

Namepros traffic is ramping steadily because we are shifting the conversation from a boring promotion of liquidation domains, to a discussion about co-creating a bigger outcome. Reasonable or not?

upload_2019-11-4_11-26-35.png

•••
I would feel bad making a profit from .org as the general public sees them related to non-profit organisations / charities. I think restrictions should be placed on its use.

By inflating prices it means that ultimately less money goes to those in need. I think the promotion of .org in this way is unethical.

I will respectfully disagree. Here's why.

If someone helps a non-profit to get a domain that they did not even know existed that increases their effectiveness, value was created. The end-user can engage in that value or not. They have free will.

If the domainer does not sell that domain in a timely way, he will typically dump it and move on. He loses money on that transaction but in the aggregate plays a vital role for connecting supply and demand.

Where it gets complicated is when there is indiscriminate greed in the form of hoarding without a sensible willingness to work things out, e.g. lease, finance or even donate a domain to a worthy end-user.

Is it unethical for your local car dealer to make a margin on a car you could have bought out of state from a private seller? Of course not. Domainers are just a distributor for the registry. They hold inventory.

•••
who pays for the hours needed
to post an expert prove?

You used to get NP$ for your posts that could be used to buy domains with, I am not sure if that is still the case.

•••
You used to get NP$ for your posts that could be used to buy domains with, I am not sure if that is still the case.

sorry ...
are you joking?

•••

It's important to know that many charities and non profits pay excessive and ridiculously large amounts in salaries. If the director of a non-profit can make millions in annual salary, why can't a person profit on a domain they may want?

Disclaimer: Not all charities or non-profits pay excessive salaries, but many do. Always research prior to donating.

•••
Ooops, I did it again. NamePros Trifecta.

The promo stuff has been removed from the threads -- I give NP mods free reign to edit my posts to remove content that they deem to be promotional. Hopefully they don't destroy the substance!

Namepros traffic is ramping steadily because we are shifting the conversation from a boring promotion of liquidation domains, to a discussion about co-creating a bigger outcome. Reasonable or not?

Show attachment 134070

brilliant, Rob

personally I don't care for the Alexa Ranking of namepros
and the traffic it receives.

do you want to buy namepros?

•••
sorry ...
are you joking?

Not joking, but maybe I remember it wrong, perhaps some of the other Oldtimers here can verify that.

PS: When I said you I didn't mean Frank, I meant forum members in general.

Last edited:
•••
Not joking, but maybe I remember it wrong, perhaps some of the other Oldtimers her can verify that.

PS: When I said you I didn't mean Frank, I meant forum members in general.

sure thing

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back