IT.COM

.org Why I am bullish on .ORG: Plutocratic guilt!

NameSilo
Watch

Are you going to be buying more .ORG in Q4 2019?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
A few folks have been asking about why I have recently become more bullish on .ORG. I thought the topic deserves a post, and perhaps some debate.

In short, the reason why I think .ORG will have a healthy after-market in the coming years is because of what some have called "Plutocratic Guilt". It is a term I learned from a fellow Seattleite named Nick Hanauer who probably has a bit of it -- he is really rich and he likes to talk about it, but then he also likes to philosophize about how rich people need to give back more to society. It started with his 2014 TED Talk:

The sad reality of the world is that the rich do keep getting richer and the poor are mostly staying poor and/or getting poorer, while much of the middle class gets obliterated. The GDP per capita data uses an average to mask this trend but the Gini coefficient of inequality clearly shows that income inequality is getting worse.
upload_2019-11-3_13-53-32.png

As for what to do about, it, my recipe is really simple: sell to rich people. We already do that at Epik, e.g. during October we sold 3 domains above $250K each. However, eventually rich people have enough stuff, and enough businesses. At some point, they start to care a lot more about their "legacy", which is one reason you see elaborate donor recognition walls in high visibility places. More examples here.

upload_2019-11-3_14-36-27.png

However, if you are really rich, you set up a Foundation e.g. the Gates Foundation, or more recently, the Chan Zuckerburg Initiative, etc. It is some mix of estate planning, philanthropy, tax shelter and (hidden) agenda. Most philanthropic funds are actually in the US and likely that pattern continues for the foreseeable future. Most US philanthropies choose .ORG as their extension.

upload_2019-11-3_13-46-39.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Ooops, I did it again. NamePros Trifecta.

The promo stuff has been removed from the threads -- I give NP mods free reign to edit my posts to remove content that they deem to be promotional. Hopefully they don't destroy the substance!

Namepros traffic is ramping steadily because we are shifting the conversation from a boring promotion of liquidation domains, to a discussion about co-creating a bigger outcome. Reasonable or not?

Hi

I think mods already have free reign to edit posts or move/delete threads, content, that is deemed inappropriate.

and...
if the substance of the thread is basically of a promotional nature or created to promote and those parts are removed,
they yes, the substance will be destroyed.

if you don't want any of the substance altered, edited or removed, then for these types of threads, perhaps post in Advertising section and I for one won't be interrupting the thread to complain that it's a promotional thread posted in General Discussion section.

or....NP can change the rules and allow promotions in this section

either way, it's just a suggestion.

imo….

•••
I would feel bad making a profit from .org as the general public sees them related to non-profit organisations / charities. I think restrictions should be placed on its use.

By inflating prices it means that ultimately less money goes to those in need. I think the promotion of .org in this way is unethical.

We're a society that happily profits on houses, food and the basic necessities of life - so I don't think people will lose too much sleep over a domain extension.

•••
Does anyone know the percentage of .org in use that are actually used by nonprofits? My guess is it is more than 50% but way less than 90%, but that is just a guess mainly from the names I see reported on NameBio. I suspect that the registry has intelligence on this. If anyone has ever seen information would appreciate posting a link.
Thanks,
Bob

Edit: I did find this statement in one of the submissions to ICANN this year:
"A very large share of the more than 10 million .org domains are registered to charitable nonprofits organized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. "

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone know the percentage of .org in use that are actually used by nonprofits? My guess is it is more than 50% but way less than 90%, but that is just a guess mainly from the names I see reported on NameBio. I suspect that the registry has intelligence on this. If anyone has ever seen information would appreciate posting a link.
Thanks,
Bob

Hey Bob,
thats what I don't know
but I know
I wasted quite a bit investing in .org domains
and deleted all but 4 domains

•••
The promo stuff has been removed from the threads -- I give NP mods free reign to edit my posts to remove content that they deem to be promotional. Hopefully they don't destroy the substance!
Show attachment 134070

Ooops, the main troublesome substance gone with the wind. The whole fire-talk in this thread doesn't make sense anymore. Anyway, dragging newbies into ... you lost my empathy and energy. Good Luck!

Bye

•••
I think .org is boring because it sounds lame. If you try to say it, some people may hear "orc".
damien-guimoneau-orc-art-vray-3ds-max-01.jpg

•••
Thanks,
Bob

Edit: I did find this statement in one of the submissions to ICANN this year:
"A very large share of the more than 10 million .org domains are registered to charitable nonprofits organized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. "

used by nonprofits in 2017 20.3% , 2019 declining (after price caps removed).
The total .org current market share is 4.9% (for active websites, not for parked etc)

Last edited:
•••
.ORG is my second best performing extension, behind .COM.

Brad

Interesting. Is this the case over all time? Or just the last year or two? Were they all crypto sales?

Last edited:
•••
used by nonprofits in 2017 20.3% , 2019 declining (after price caps removed).
I am surprised it is that low. Do you have a source for that figure?
Also you say after price caps removed but they are near to, but have not yet, removed the cap. Do you mean that there is already a decrease people expecting they will be removed?
The total .org current market share is 4.9% (for active websites, not for parked etc)
Yes, I do know of sources for that information. For example this source shows that internet .org use grew from 4.6% in 2010 to 5.1% in January 2019, although has now dropped to 4.9%, consistent with what you said. By comparison .com currently is at 47.6% and .net at 3.5% (the latter has dropped pretty consistent over the decade from 6.8% in 2010).
Bob

Last edited:
•••
Interesting. Is this the case over all time? Or just the last year or two? Were they all crypto sales?

Since I started, so well over a decade.

I am not sure how many, if any, are crypto sales.

Brad

•••
I would feel bad making a profit from .org as the general public sees them related to non-profit organisations / charities. I think restrictions should be placed on its use.

By inflating prices it means that ultimately less money goes to those in need. I think the promotion of .org in this way is unethical.

Well, that is your opinion. But .org is not just used by non-profits.

Many are used by organizations and groups with massive budgets and their own agendas.
The right .org can be a massive asset when it comes to credibility and marketing.

Brad

•••
Crypto related .org sales courtesy of Namebio

Total Sales
$36.6k
Dollar Volume
$778
Average Price
$1,276
Standard Deviation
$105
Low Price
$6,250
High Price

cryptoexpert.org 6,250 USD 2017-12-12 Flippa
cryptoexchange.org 4,049 USD 2019-09-02 GoDaddy
cryptomining.org 4,000 USD 2019-03-15 Sedo
cryptocraft.org 3,500 USD 2018-07-04 Sedo
uscrypto.org 2,610 USD 2017-07-04 Sedo
cryptofund.org 2,017 USD 2017-12-28 GoDaddy
cryptotalk.org 1,988 USD 2019-09-12 BuyDomains
cryptonetwork.org 1,612 USD 2018-01-15 GoDaddy
cryptotrust.org 888 USD 2019-03-14 EmpireNames.com
learncrypto.org 560 USD 2018-02-09 Flippa
cryptouniversity.org 519 USD 2018-07-25 DropCatch
learncrypto.org 505 USD 2018-03-23 Flippa
cryptocloud.org 499 USD 2019-03-05 GoDaddy
cryptoeconomy.org 470 USD 2018-07-10 DropCatch
cryptocenter.org 404 USD 2018-03-07 DropCatch
cryptoreserve.org 389 USD 2019-04-23 DropCatch
cryptoinvest.org 362 USD 2018-04-03 DropCatch
cryptovalley.org 340 USD 2018-08-18 GoDaddy
cryptobet.org 325 USD 2019-09-19 GoDaddy
cryptostore.org 315 USD 2019-09-19 GoDaddy
cryptogroup.org 312 USD 2018-03-26 DropCatch
cryptopreneur.org 310 USD 2018-07-18 Flippa
cryptolawyer.org 303 USD 2018-09-07 GoDaddy
cryptoinvestor.org 282 USD 2017-08-13 DropCatch
cryptostorm.org 252 USD 2019-09-20 GoDaddy
gocrypto.org 230 USD 2018-01-25 Flippa
cryptoglobal.org 220 USD 2019-10-03 DropCatch
cryptotraders.org 210 USD 2018-08-30 GoDaddy
cryptoattorney.org 200 USD 2018-09-07 GoDaddy
cryptopreneur.org 200 USD 2018-07-18 Flippa
cryptoconference.org 200 USD 2018-02-08 NameJet
xcrypto.org 181 USD 2018-02-13 GoDaddy
cryptocd.org 180 USD 2018-02-26 DropCatch
collegecrypto.org 175 USD 2019-04-01 GoDaddy
cryptodesign.org 168 USD 2018-04-01 DropCatch
cryptobase.org 165 USD 2018-02-11 DropCatch
cryptomanager.org 145 USD 2018-02-09 Flippa
cryptox.org 140 USD 2019-02-18 DropCatch
cryptobusiness.org 135 USD 2018-09-19 GoDaddy
cryptoeducation.org 134 USD 2019-09-16 GoDaddy
cryptoapps.org 132 USD 2018-06-03 DropCatch
cryptoauction.org 125 USD 2019-01-26 DropCatch
cryptoforex.org 120 USD 2018-01-15 GoDaddy
cryptoloan.org 117 USD 2019-08-01 GoDaddy
cryptoloans.org 117 USD 2019-08-01 GoDaddy
cryptoplatform.org 116 USD 2018-08-14 GoDaddy
cryptotimes.org 105 USD 2019-07-28 GoDaddy

•••
I am surprised it is that low. Do you have a source for that figure?
Also you say after price caps removed but they are near to, but have not yet, removed the cap. Do you mean that there is already a decrease people expecting they will be removed?
Yes, I do know of sources for that information. For example this source shows that internet .org use grew from 4.6% in 2010 to 5.1% in January 2019, although has now dropped to 4.9%, consistent with what you said. By comparison .com currently is at 47.6% and .net at 3.5% (the latter has dropped pretty consistent over the decade from 6.8% in 2010).
Bob

For the full report (source) I'm under I Agree ToS - distribution/share not allowed (cost $4.5k per year). You'll need to take info as is.

Decrease: ICANNs public comment & (ignorance) result for the PIR .org price cap - and PR & News around the globe did a thing (ICA, EFF, Mainstream media, People...). + ex Donuts is now CEO + PIR clearing house is in a motion (haunting down abuse) + PIR collecting / putting aside tons of premium names.

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Chiming in as a sorta newbie, I hear the voice of the seasoned members and I do believe they are right. No need to go running regging 100s of org just for a promo sake. But if you have quality .orgs sort-listed, by all means take advantage of the promo to reg the best of your shortlisted names (though need to be highly selective, as newbies, and I can speak for myself here, aren't the best judge of domain quality)

But had a question for all NPers too: Why is that whenever there is a discussion of any TLD, is it immediately compared to .com and thrashed? I know and I think most newbies know, that .com is King but its certainly not the only game in town. So whenever we discuss a TLD should we not concentrate on comparisons leaving .com out? Like, would .org be the best among all the other legacy gTLDs and ngTLDs? What about in comparision to ccTLDs? These questions and their answers would help bring more clarity to newbies, IMO.

Lastly, after learning of the EPIK .org promo, I did go over my list and regged a .org:

OldAgeCare.org

Three words but seemed very strong combo and with most of the developed world aging fast, could be the perfect combo :)

Regards,
Crypto!

•••
Why is that whenever there is a discussion of any TLD, is it immediately compared to .com and thrashed?
You asking that question is the reason. When you gain the experience investing in domain names, you'll know the answer to why. It may seem to you now that people trash other extensions, but it is only to protect you as a new investor. We want to see you investing years from now.

It's not to say that other extensions can't be useful, developed, or even monetized. The problem is, as just a domain name, most people need a good reason to stray from .com.

As an example, as a new investor, did you know that with nGTLDs the renewal prices can change overnight? It's not a reason to not register a name, but a fact you should definitely know in advance.

Last edited:
•••
Why is that whenever there is a discussion of any TLD, is it immediately compared to .com and thrashed?
Good question! Tunnel vision by the "domain bros" I suppose. Regardless, domain investing is like all other investing, that is, there is more than one type of investment to create profit. You can compare it to real state, stocks, precious metals, diamonds, art, etc. etc.......

Last edited:
•••
Lastly, after learning of the EPIK .org promo, I did go over my list and regged a .org:

OldAgeCare.org

Three words but seemed very strong combo and with most of the developed world aging fast, could be the perfect combo :)

Regards,
Crypto!

.ORG really needs to be a stronger term in my experience.

I would say terms like Elder Care, and Senior Care are dominant terms in the field.
Those would be example of some with high resale potential in .ORG.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
.ORG really need to be stronger terms in my experience.

I would say terms like Elder Care, and Senior Care are dominant terms in the field.
Those would be example of some with high resale potential in .ORG.

Brad
I know I'm even reaching with my universalcare .org. :)

•••
Good question! Tunnel vision by the "domain bros" I suppose. Regardless, domain investing is like all other investing, that is, there is more than one type of investment to create profit. You can compare it to real state, stocks, precious metal, diamonds, art, etc. etc.......

It is because .COM is the bar when it comes to domains. You need something to judge it against.

If you are investing in other precious metals, you are likely going to compare the returns to gold because that is the standard.

Brad

•••
It is because .COM is the bar when it comes to domains. You need something to judge it against.

If you are investing in other precious metals, you are likely going to compare the returns to gold because that is the standard.

Brad
Correct, but profits can also come from silver, bronze, titanium, etc., etc......Gold is not the only way to profit and .com is no different in that regards.

•••
Correct, but profits can also come from silver, bronze, titanium, etc., etc......Gold is not the only way to profit and .com is no different in that regards.

I agree. In fact palladium has had much higher returns lately.

That being said, the first thing people are going to do is compare it to gold. It is only natural.

Brad

•••
I agree. In fact palladium has had much higher returns lately.

That being said, the first thing people are going to do is compare it to gold. It is only natural.

Brad
Cool, we agree. :xf.smile:

•••
OldAgeCare.org

.com is for sale (parked and serving a very bad ads). First time reg. in 2000. Abandoned in 2002 (Why Abandoned?) and rebranded to - caremalta .com (active). So, what's the force that drives you to reg. t name and where is the end user? To find a way to expand your horizons (extensions) you'll have to learn how to perform research, extract info, analyze, haunt for the best possible outcome - before reg. domain name.

Good Luck
Regards

Last edited:
•••
There should be a "gripe" thread somewhere on this forum......

Everyone can then vent and air any grievances and get it off their chest. Would also give people the chance to clear the air with each other on different subject matters without clogging other threads......
Good news -- there is an NP thread for airing grievances and showing off feats of strength -- traditionally celebrated on December 23.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back