IT.COM

question Why are number domains valuable?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Christian Taylor

Established Member
Impact
I see random number domains in portfolios all the time.

Stuff like 253193.com or even stuff with letters like 11239xzl.com. Why the heck are these valuable? Seems like a spammy/crappy domain to me. Obviously there's a reason it's in people's porfolios. Why??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
short answer? Rarity.
or Rare

total numbers = 10
Total letters = 27

but for China market which is the market these days.

total numbers = 8 because 4 and 0 are no good.
Total letters = 21 because in China market vowels are useless and almost no value as there are no chinese pinyin words that start with vowels.

so 8 vs. 21.

numbers beat letters in rarity.

and if you factor in the fact that 8 is THEE number China desires for it's luckiness.

that total of Eight numbers? goes down to 1 so everytime you have an 8 in a domain that equates to +1 not x8.

so if you have 888 or even 88888888888 it is unique as there can only be one domain like this

when it comes to numbers also repeats have value as the chinese believe "All good things come in pairs." and if that is true then three's or quad's must be very very lucky.

no letters are lucky. so therefore in an all letter domain each letter calculates as 21

so a 4 letter domain is calculated as

21x21x21x21.dom

and a 4 number domain if none are 8 calculates as 8x8x8x8

•••
They are too valuable in china thats why may be

•••
There's a very finite supply of 6L.com's and ever growing demand, especially from Chinese investors. This translates to growing prices. Hence, they are perceived as sure fire investment with above average return. That in turn boosts demand. And prices. And more demand...

•••
Plus, using numbers is easier for Asian than using ASCII.

•••
Guys, sorry that I'm such a noob, but am I understanding that numbers translate to letters in China? So 123456.com would translate to.. letters in China? Or do they simply like having number domains there. Sorry for the stupid questions!

•••
I see random number domains in portfolios all the time.

Stuff like 253193.com or even stuff with letters like 11239xzl.com. Why the heck are these valuable? Seems like a spammy/crappy domain to me. Obviously there's a reason it's in people's porfolios. Why??

Not all numbers are valuable. The fact that we see them in many portfolios does not automatically translate to high value.

Be very careful in you enter that market. It is a very complex world, very risky, very volatile.

•••
Not all numbers are valuable. The fact that we see them in many portfolios does not automatically translate to high value.

Be very careful in you enter that market. It is a very complex world, very risky, very volatile.

Yeah, I'm fully convinced that it's impossible to be a new domainer. All of the good names are taken, so I just don't bother.

•••
Yeah, I'm fully convinced that it's impossible to be a new domainer. All of the good names are taken, so I just don't bother.

You're right that there's very little good stuff to hand register right now, but there's always money to be made buying and selling aftermarket domains (domains that have already been registered).

•••
I can give you some context:

First, the numbers are universal and independent of language and character sets. 100 in English is the same as in Chinese and it is the same in every country on earth.

Second, numbers are used everywhere and in every country, phone "number", house "number", zip code "number", birthdays or significant dates expressed as "numbers".

Then there are hacks or games kids play because they rhymes with something. Some times teachers use these hacks to help kids memorize math formulas. For example square root of 2 is 1.41421, the math teacher taught everyone my in class just remember it says "just a tiny little bit" in Chinese, which a the time was a common expression for casual "bribery", which I remember to this day.

To many non-English non-alphabet speakers in the world, it is far easier to memorize numbers then names or spelling of a foreign language. That is why everyone has a phone "number" and not a phone "name"

But does it mean every number combination is valuable? No. There is a lot of speculation in this space and I personally don't have any numeric only domain names, but I do understand why it is valuable to someone.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back