NameSilo

Why do people like 6-number domain names?

Labeled as discuss in Numeric Domain Discussion started by Daniel Owens, Apr 10, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. Daniel Owens

Daniel Owens Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

To me anything over 4 numbers seems excessive even in .com extension. My question is and I'd like the education so I'm asking it is, Why do people like 6-number domains names? What are the valid reasons for preferring a 6-number domain over something easy to remember?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Grilled

Grilled Be the change you want to see in the world VIP

It makes you wonder who was buying them at $200 back in late 2015, early 2016.

upload_2018-4-9_21-11-35.png

Does the above chart look like a pump and dump?

Below screenshot represent the venues according to shortnames.com where 6N without 0 and 4 sold for a minimum of $69 >> why did NameJet sell more than eName? ...probably because NJ min bid is $69?

upload_2018-4-9_21-15-21.png

... Why would anybody (possibly?) pump 6N.com?

Does the 6N.com market effect the 5N.com market?

upload_2018-4-9_21-13-17.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  3. Daniel Owens

@Grilled I seriously wonder why people would ever want them. Looks like the chart shows they don't rise as much now days. Are there even a small fraction of 6N available for hand-reg (like even 0.01%)?

4. Grilled

I recently scanned 500k 6N.com, and found quite a bit with 0 and 4 available for hand reg.

Unfortunately I have a computer which OS isn't compatible to my bulk WHOIS program so I can't run a full scan until I set up a virtual server.

Maybe someone else can run a scan and/or has the answer?

5. Daniel Owens

@Grilled With 0 and 4 I see. So, does that mean a full scan could possibly show 6N without 4 or 0's also available?

6. gilescoley

gilescoley Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The chinese loves these numeric names, they seem to sell from $100 all the way to $30k, especially when they have the lucky number "8" in them, or multiple 8's

7. tupungato

tupungato timium.com VIP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerology

Below are only examples.

8. MS-Domains

MS-Domains Established Member

Thanks @Daniel Owens for the thread. I've been thinking of it for few days. Never knew the answer.

9. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Established Member

anything that has a nice sequence pattern to it or repeating digits is going to appeal to the Chinese even at 6 or 7 digits. the number 4 is definitely a No-No though, and I don't believe the 0 zero has a regular place in their numbering system, an empty space is more commonly used

10. Furquah

Furquah The Captain VIP

I really doubt it, I don't think a single 6N without 0 & 4 is available for hand reg.

11. RobertoG

RobertoG Established Member

NNN.coms are unobtainable for most of us.
    NNNN.coms are going crazy.
    NNNNN.coms are over a g, and going higher.
    whats next? 6N.coms, whats causing the confusion?

12. hookbox

hookbox Active Member VIP

Just another bullsh*t category to pump up and sell to sucker newbies. 😀

13. Furquah

Furquah The Captain VIP

Ya, it's bullsh*t when you don't know anything.

827999.com 1,709 USD 2018-04-09 NameJet
    317666.com 1,600 USD 2018-04-09 NameJet
    645999.com 1,310 USD 2018-04-09 NameJe

14. hookbox

hookbox Active Member VIP

Pump pump pump it up! Yeah I remember that song.

15. blockchain

blockchain Restricted

i dont like number domains
    My list: 0

16. Grilled

If memory serves correct, some 4,000 of the 8,000 NNNNNN.com that sold on NameJet.com up until around August 2017 were hand regs from two people between a three day period, September 10th, 2015 to September 12th, 2015.

Not saying there were 8,000 different domains, as some 6N.com were passed around and sold multiple times.

I'll post a spreadsheet of the approx 8,000 complete bid logs later this month.

(Exact figures may vary. Not 100% sure it the total was 8,000)

17. urljunky

urljunky Active Member VIP

Number domains are loved by chinese because its easier to remember then chinese long tail idn's.
    You have to remember if the domain is not in the english alphabet then its an idn. 0's and 4's are meaningless and bad luck in Chinese I believe. So 000888666777.com is a lot easier for them to remember. Numbers are universal.

18. Lord Antares

Lord Antares Established Member

Yes, I've heard the only reason js because the Chinese can use the numbers, but not latin letters. Hence, they are being sold to the Chinese market. Makes sense, especially since alternatives make no sense.

A better question is why are 4L chips so expensive if thr chinese don't use latin letters?

19. Zulfi12

Zulfi12 New Member

Have no ideas about 6 number domains. Its may niche to our business

20. Kassey Lee

Kassey Lee 域名世界 VIP

6N .com are really for speculation, imho. As far as end users are concerned, it's very difficult to remember a random 6-digit number in Chinese. We like Pinyin, but we also like English words. Did you know the the world’s highest-valued AI startup is a Chinese company which uses an English-based name SenseTime with matching SenseTime.com?

21. Steven McEvoy

Steven McEvoy McEvoy.biz VIP

Couldn’t have said it any better! Sounds like the crypto trend right now.

22. namelancer

namelancer Established Member

How many digits are the phone numbers ? They are usually 7, going up to 10 with a 3-digit area code included. Add a country code and the number balloons. on average, to 12. Do people remember them ? Well, until very recently the lists of phone numbers were committed to memory rather than to a smart phone directory. Here you have the answer.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  23. Daniel Owens

@namelancer I appreciate your opinion. What I was really interested in also what is better, for example to check the time back in the day people would be told to dial popcorn as they know it'd be hard to remember 7672.....whatever numbers after that I forget. I personally would prefer a nice 4 or 5 letter domains that is easy to say. I think a limo company once had 777-777-7777 for there phone number, something like that in 6-numbers would be amazing. But, yeah it seems to me like Western Domains Buyers or even companies don't like 6-number domains it appeals mostly to Asian from what I am seeing. Am I correct that most businesses in USA don't like 6-numbers for their companies? Is,it just me or have people been dropping some 6N's lately?

24. Daniel Owens

Anyone, know the exact number of 6N that are available for hand-reg? Any without 0's and 4's?

25. Leon.h

Leon.h Established Member

None is available for hand-reg from the end of 2015 till now.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!