Dynadot

auctions Whiskey.com [was] at $2,000,000 on Flippa [fake bid removed]

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Whiskey.com

Auction on Flippa currently has 10bids and is at $2,000,000

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"Everybody" is a generalization. I feel bad for ppl who think the term always means its literal meaning. There are billions of ppl in this world. If EVERYBODY was doing something.... lol

Perhaps "everybody is breathing" or similar...

So when Irving Berlin wrote the lyrics to "Everybody's Doin' It Now" he literally meant everyone? Wow. There I was thinking he was using hyperbole as some kind of literary device.

•••
@Grace Delete thanks for the advice. learning... learning...
@KCGroup Wow! Passing a $170,000 sale is courageous! Or maybe you bought this domain name for 6 figures + and that would explain why you let go a $170,000 sale? Or the reserve was not met! That must be it... learning... learning... Too bad you are now at 78% success down from 100%
@ImageAuthors I admire your guts! I totally agree with you. Flippa seems to be geared towards high end users that can afford loosing the $350 Premium add-ons if the site or domain don't sell.
Also, this "Front Page Feature" thing is so UNFAIR! Everywhere on the Internet, when you post something, you get the very first page position until someone else place an add or whatever. It can be very short but still, you get the first place like anybody else. Fair play for everyone.
When I post a domain name or a website for sale on Flippa, I DON'T SEE IT ANYWHERE on Flippa unless I search for the exact term. Hey! Where is my offer???
@FlippaDomains Hi Kevin. The main problem Flippa have to deal with is the fact that you went from 1,000 domains on sale last year to 130,000 this year. This volume is hard to deal with. You will have to find a way to EQUALLY serve all your users and not just a handful. The good point is that you are victim of your own success! I wish you good luck in dealing with this and make all you users happy. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL OF YOU!
@Grace Delete So am I doing good?

•••

[USER=959487]@FlippaDomains
Hi Kevin. The main problem Flippa have to deal with is the fact that you went from 1,000 domains on sale last year to 130,000 this year. This volume is hard to deal with. You will have to find a way to EQUALLY serve all your users and not just a handful. The good point is that you are victim of your own success! I wish you good luck in dealing with this and make all you users happy. [/USER]

Why would a $10 sale be treated the same as a $50,000 sale? That doesn't make any sense.

It's all about quality and truthfully if your domain isn't worth at least $349... What's the point in listing it?

•••
So when Irving Berlin wrote the lyrics to "Everybody's Doin' It Now" he literally meant everyone? Wow. There I was thinking he was using hyperbole as some kind of literary device..

Sorry, I think that one went over your head. I know he didn't literally mean everybody but to say it in such terms, I figure he could at least:

Can you list some of the auctions you're currently seeing this with?

Maybe it went over 2 heads

"Everybody" is a generalization. I feel bad for ppl who think the term always means its literal meaning. There are billions of ppl in this world. If EVERYBODY was doing something.... lol

Perhaps "everybody is breathing" or similar...

Last edited:
•••
For a new user, you have a lotta good points. Flippa should add something to the splash page, at the least showing new auctions. Last I ever really used SEDO, they had similar.

The amount of domains is an issue. But many are from free-credit listings. Expect the number to get lower with the free-credits things no longer here.

Welcome to NP!
@Grace Delete thanks for the advice. learning... learning...
@KCGroup Wow! Passing a $170,000 sale is courageous! Or maybe you bought this domain name for 6 figures + and that would explain why you let go a $170,000 sale? Or the reserve was not met! That must be it... learning... learning... Too bad you are now at 78% success down from 100%
@ImageAuthors I admire your guts! I totally agree with you. Flippa seems to be geared towards high end users that can afford loosing the $350 Premium add-ons if the site or domain don't sell.
Also, this "Front Page Feature" thing is so UNFAIR! Everywhere on the Internet, when you post something, you get the very first page position until someone else place an add or whatever. It can be very short but still, you get the first place like anybody else. Fair play for everyone.
When I post a domain name or a website for sale on Flippa, I DON'T SEE IT ANYWHERE on Flippa unless I search for the exact term. Hey! Where is my offer???
@FlippaDomains Hi Kevin. The main problem Flippa have to deal with is the fact that you went from 1,000 domains on sale last year to 130,000 this year. This volume is hard to deal with. You will have to find a way to EQUALLY serve all your users and not just a handful. The good point is that you are victim of your own success! I wish you good luck in dealing with this and make all you users happy. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL OF YOU!
@Grace Delete So am I doing good?

•••

He's just the broker with an exclusive listing on Flippa (though the name is also on Sedo).
Would have been an $18,500 loss on this name.

Everyone knew reserve was much higher... could just have well had member 100 with $100 of prior bids put in $300,000 and see what happened. Worse case? I'm sure the email / proxy-ip would have been banned.

[USER=153719]@Grace Delete So am I doing good?[/USER]
I'm not running this place but I would not recommend overusing the @ because you can subscribe to threads and set it so you get notified on [quoted] so it's overkill unless you want to bring someone new into the fold (or you are taking someone's name in vain in which case it is fair to give them an opportunity for rebuttal)

Sorry, I think that one went over your head. I know he didn't literally mean everybody but to say it in such terms
Well maybe then he should have said..

Bees do it
Even educated fleas do it...
People say in Boston even beans do it
Oysters down in oyster bay do it...
Even lazy jellyfish, do it
Though it shocks 'em I know why ask if shad do it
English soles do it
Goldfish in the privacy of bowls do it
The monkeys and the birds, bees do it
In, in water gates they quarrel but they do it

And if they can make up and still do it baby, how about me and you?
Hey let's do it now
Let's do it, let's all fake bid on domains...

Last edited:
•••
This is lower than I thought it would be:
You’ve been invited by KCGroup to participate in the post-auction negotiation for Whiskey.com, which ended unsold.

KCGroup is willing to accept $1,224,000, or near offer, for this domain.

You have 72 hours to accept or return a counter offer.
If you do not take action within 72 hours the offer will be rejected automatically.

@KCGroup should partner with Toronto Domainer (@CureCancer).

If I was the buyer of Whisky.com, I'd want Whiskey.com to go along with it.

•••
Why would a $10 sale be treated the same as a $50,000 sale? That doesn't make any sense.

It's all about quality and truthfully if your domain isn't worth at least $349... What's the point in listing it?
You have a point here this_username_was_banned. I understand this BUT maybe Flippa was more "variety of users" oriented years back and now because of those very big value domains and lots of domain on sale, it is not the case anymore. I think Flippa made it because of newbies like me starting domaining and continue to do it because of a certain amount of success on Flippa.
I am worried for Kevin as the bigger Flippa gets, the FEWER users it will get because of the big ticket domains being sold there. In a short term, Flippa will make a LOT of money but I think this tendency is dangerous for the health of Flippa. The ship could sink because of a lost of interest from mister nobody like me.
@Grace Delete Thanks for the infos
@Archangel Thanks for the heads up. Thats my point, having something appear on front page when any domain is posted even if it is for a very short time. I have purchased domains on SnapNames, NameJet and they don't use the same methods as Flippa does.

•••
So when Irving Berlin wrote the lyrics to "Everybody's Doin' It Now" he literally meant everyone? Wow. There I was thinking he was using hyperbole as some kind of literary device.

Flippa collects a lot of listing fees and commissions for listings that sell below $349 Shane, I agree if you have a quality name then you can justify it, but there are plenty of names selling and even more that all pay a listing fee to get on
He's just the broker with an exclusive listing on Flippa (though the name is also on Sedo).
Would have been an $18,500 loss on this name.

Everyone knew reserve was much higher... could just have well had member 100 with $100 of prior bids put in $300,000 and see what happened. Worse case? I'm sure the email / proxy-ip would have been banned.

I'm not running this place but I would not recommend overusing the @ because you can subscribe to threads and set it so you get notified on [quoted] so it's overkill unless you want to bring someone new into the fold (or you are taking someone's name in vain in which case it is fair to give them an opportunity for rebuttal)

Well maybe then he should have said..

Bees do it
Even educated fleas do it...
People say in Boston even beans do it
Oysters down in oyster bay do it...
Even lazy jellyfish, do it
Though it shocks 'em I know why ask if shad do it
English soles do it
Goldfish in the privacy of bowls do it
The monkeys and the birds, bees do it
In, in water gates they quarrel but they do it

And if they can make up and still do it baby, how about me and you?
Hey let's do it now
Let's do it, let's all fake bid on domains...

That was Cole Porter John, not Irving Berlin.

•••
Flippa collects a lot of listing fees and commissions for listings that sell below $349 Shane, I agree if you have a quality name then you can justify it, but there are plenty of names selling and even more that all pay a listing fee to get on

1 Super Premium = 39 standard listings.

Not to mention 10% of $1,000+ is worth a lot more than 10% of $100.

It behooves Flippa to cater to the high-end market rather than the low-end.

•••
•••
It's best this way. Once all these free credits are used up, we'll likely stop seeing shitty domains there. If you have a bad domain, go to eBay, ppl!

•••
Nice catch but IB was "Everybody's Doin' It Now"..... different toon.

Oh thanks Man I just saw the bees do it and thought Cole Porter.

You have had a lot of great lines in this thread, you have been in the zone.

•••

Of course you cater Shane, I have no problem with that, but you cannot ignore the little guy, and I know some big guys who have told me $349 they can go F*** themselves, It is all about how much you value a platform and the continued success rate you have on the platform.

10% of $1000 is more yes, but there are more $10 sales so just as long as you get 10 x $100 sales Flippa still doing ok.

Congrats on ITMagazine, I saw someone regged and put InformationTechnologyMagazine.com on Flippa, it sold for $18.

•••
Congrats on ITMagazine, I saw someone regged and put InformationTechnologyMagazine.com on Flippa, it sold for $18.

Thanks and I saw. I laughed when I saw the reg date... "5 days ago"

•••
Regarding the 150k domains that are published at the moment, Flippa should (and as far I can read here will) kill off the free appraisal credits and the number will go from 150k to 15k.. Then things will be better soon in my opinion..

•••
It's best this way. Once all these free credits are used up, we'll likely stop seeing shitty domains there. If you have a bad domain, go to eBay, ppl!
Yeah but since when all newbies have only shitty domains for sale?
Because you're just starting in domaining doesn't mean you wont get valuable domains.
Every SUPER DUPER DOMAINERS have been newbies first
I've been domaining since May 2014 and managed to purchase a $24,000 Estiboot valued domain name.
This said, I'm looking forward to Flippa's removal of the free credits in exchange of bogus domain evaluation too. 150,000 domains for sale on Flippa is ridiculous. I wonder thought if that include the "free" portfolio listings?

•••
•••
Pretty sure it's the domain catalogs of all sellers.
That's what I though too but then, Flippa should show us how many domains are in auction now NOT counting the domain catalogs.

•••
That's what I though too but then, Flippa should show us how many domains are in auction now NOT counting the domain catalogs.

There is a filter, when I click auctions - 3,947 Domains

I've been domaining since May 2014 and managed to purchase a $24,000 Estiboot valued domain name.

You would probably get a better appraisal here, Estibot can be very off.

•••
There is a filter, when I click auctions - 3,947 Domains

You would probably get a better appraisal here, Estibot can be very off.

Thanks JB Lions, I should have think about the filters, duh!

I know Estibot's apparisals can really be off sometimes but I think the one I've got is very good.

NiMHbattery dot com

It's a 16 years old PR3 registered 24 August 1998 and it always sold rechargeable batteries online.

So go ahead and fire me if you wish. I accept my failures and move forward afterward.

You can be as nasty as you wish, I am willing to learn.

•••
•••
I understand where you're coming from. We are all noobs at a time, and even a noob can find a great domain.What I'm saying is: If a person has a shitty domain, they shouldn't post it on Flippa. But this begs the question: since domaining is speculative, what is 'shitty'? What is 'quality'? These are things worth a debate. NP is good for that: post a domain here and ppl will give you their 2 cents. The collective opinions of the public will get you somewhere. NEVER go solely by what estibot tells you--it's a nonhuman appraisal tool and thus cannot put the human thought process into it. They constantly call terrible domain valuable. Again, domaining is speculative. But post domains here and you could get an idea of the general consensus of the public.

I've championed for Flippa to go back to pay-only listings. A good way to gauge things:if someone isn't willing to pay $9 for a listing, then assume their domain is likely shit. If ppl go to Flippa & see a plethora of terrible domains on auction, Flippa will become "just another sales platform," opposed to the "we're not eBay or BIDO--we have quality!" they are striving to achieve.I think the free credits have officially ended

Yeah but since when all newbies have only shitty domains for sale?
Because you're just starting in domaining doesn't mean you wont get valuable domains.
Every SUPER DUPER DOMAINERS have been newbies first
This said, I'm looking forward to Flippa's removal of the free credits in exchange of bogus domain evaluation too. 150,000 domains for sale on Flippa is ridiculous. I wonder thought if that include the "free" portfolio listings?

•••
Oups! Just realized that I need a $5/month account to ask for a domain appraisal here at NamePros. Sorry about that. Thanks Archangel for your valuable input.
Thanks JB Lions too for your input on my domain.

* is it worth $5/month to post $2 to $10 domain sales here like I see a lot? How can someone sale a domain that they purchased for $8.95 for only $2?

•••
No prob. Unlike most noobs, you're ACTUALLY TRYING to learn. That separates you from the rest.

I should send you this link: https://www.namepros.com/forums/domain-appraisal.3/ Appraisals are free to ask for. Just make a thread :)

BTW: many ppl sell domains cheap for reasons. Example: a person registers a domain, fails to sell it for a profit, tries to sell it for a few bucks instead of paying $10 more for renewals

Oups! Just realized that I need a $5/month account to ask for a domain appraisal here at NamePros. Sorry about that. Thanks Archangel for your valuable input.
Thanks JB Lions too for your input on my domain.

* is it worth $5/month to post $2 to $10 domain sales here like I see a lot? How can someone sale a domain that they purchased for $8.95 for only $2?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back