Dynadot

Who is Toronto Domainer? Sold Whisky.com for 3.1 million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Congratulations to Toronto Domainer for this sale and I am very curious who Toronto Domainer is also known as the name TooFun. It's always a great story when a guy says he only sells "Reg Fee Domains" and then goes out and sells one for 3 million. Would love to know more about you TooFun.

When a name such as Whisky.com sells for over 3 million dollars I want to put a face to the sale. Saying Toronto Domainer sold the name is like saying Santa Claus sold it and I don't believe in Santa Claus.

1. There is no bio page on his website
2. His domain is in privacy
3. You can read every word on the $310,000 commission check except the name it is written to.
4. The named person on the escrow page is a attorney in California.
5. Domain Shane congratulated him but then said it would be nice to drop the Toronto Domainer nickname and use his real name but that comment was just modified and doesn't say that anymore. Why manipulate the comments??
6. I made a similar comment but he didn't post it.

This name is in the Top 20 highest reported sales of all time and I want to know who really sold it. Please tell us more.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's Whisky.com and Toronto Domainer was the broker of this sale. The owners were Castello Bros.

•••
That is obvious Primerlloc. I want to know who Toronto Domainer is.

•••

Last edited:
•••
If i can recall correctly Toronto Domainer is Mir!

•••
•••

I think Toronto Domainer has the right to stay anonymous.

You have the right NOT to read his/her blog, if you feel that his/her anonymity is a problem for you, but you do not have the absolute right to *know* who this blogger is.

•••
Inspired me to Register WhiskyandWomen.com just now

Never even contemplated using Whisky in a Domain Name but this thread title inspired me on a lark to look up WhiskyandWomen.com which I couldn't believe was available. Good luck to me!

•••
Jennifer the problem with the domain industry is nothing is transparent especially when it comes to 6 and 7 figure sales. I am not out of line asking who Toronto Domainer is and I may not get an answer but I can ask if I so choose. Maybe you like reading stories that are missing important details but I don't that's for sure.

This sale is in the top 20 reported sales of all time so why would he want to stay anonymous. It benefits him in a thousand different ways to be the broker on record for this sale. Let's say Forbes wants to write an article about this sale and do you think they would say it was brokered by Toronto Domainer. That's like them saying some guy named Batman swooped in and saved the kid in the car accident on the highway today. That's ridiculous.

•••
•••
but this thread title inspired me on a lark to look up WhiskyandWomen.com which I couldn't believe was available

I'm not sure why you're surprised, but I could believe that it was available...

•••
Jennifer the problem with the domain industry is nothing is transparent especially when it comes to 6 and 7 figure sales. I am not out of line asking who Toronto Domainer is and I may not get an answer but I can ask if I so choose. Maybe you like reading stories that are missing important details but I don't that's for sure.

This sale is in the top 20 reported sales of all time so why would he want to stay anonymous. It benefits him in a thousand different ways to be the broker on record for this sale. Let's say Forbes wants to write an article about this sale and do you think they would say it was brokered by Toronto Domainer. That's like them saying some guy named Batman swooped in and saved the kid in the car accident on the highway today. That's ridiculous.

Sure you have a right to ask and im curious too, but we must realize a few things:

a) some people like to remain anonymous

b) some people belive that attention = bad luck so they stay quiet

c) some people even when they make money cry that they are broke as they fear evil eye

d) some lotto winners like to stay anonymous

e) its not just in the domain industry, huge real estate deals or big art purchases at auctions are sometimes done in a way whereas the person who is behind it is not known

•••
I believe he has all the right to stay anonymous even he sells a domain for a new record price for the industry. That being said, I was reading his blog TorontoDomainer.com and it seems it was a bad move for castello (the owner) to hire him. Why? Because the owner already had a $3,000,000 offer and Toronto Domainer got a $3,100,000 offer. So don't get me wrong... It's a huge success or even impossible for most of us to even get someone to make an equal $3,000,000 offer and much less in a few days. But the owner would have pocketed $3,000,000 instead of 2,790,000 because of commission he now has to pay... However, again, it's a huge success for someone to even get a matching offer in days. So congratulations to both owner and broker as they both deserve it!

•••

...you do not have the absolute right to *know* who this blogger is.

...first I don't care who it is and could care less knowing who the person is that tried to get the seller a better amount. Wish the broker could have gotten him much more but that's the gamble. That being said, however;
As long as it does not violate national security, the inquiring mind does indeed have the right to dig and delve, whether we like it or not. In this day and age it's easier than years ago...

•••

You do have a point, hookbox.

You have the right to ask, and the right to do some investigative work or have it done on behalf of yourself and the domain industry.

But don't be surprised if Toronto Domainer digs in deeper. He may have a good reason to slide under the radar; in his real life, he may be a very well known person in and out of the industry (which I suspect, given the size of this sale. I certainly wouldn't trust a broker under an alias, LOL, which suggests the savvy seller knows the identity of TD).

I, too, would like to see more domain industry transparency. So, yes, continue to question and prod, especially in light of situations like this.

We don't need any more halvarez characters.

D-:

•••
I believe he has all the right to stay anonymous even he sells a domain for a new record price for the industry. That being said, I was reading his blog, and it seems it was a bad move for castello (the owner) to hire him. Why? Because the owner already had a $3,000,000 offer and Toronto Domainer got a $3,100,000 offer. So don't get me wrong... It's a huge success or even impossible for most of us to even get someone to make an equal $3,000,000 offer and much less in a few days. But the owner would have pocketed $3,000,000 instead of 2,790,000 because of commission he now has to pay... However, again, it's a huge success for someone to even get a matching offer in days. So congratulations to both owner and broker as they both deserve it!

I was wondering the same thing. There must have been a broker for the other offer otherwise these guys wouldn't have done that. They are smarter than that. I give the guy credit. He saw an opportunity, hustled, and won. Never could stand reading his blog though as it's hard to read and virtually useless.

As for who is TD, he is foolish if he doesn't come out of the shadows and take advantage of this sale to move himself forward. $310K is a nice haul but you aren't retiring on that.

•••
It would be nice to know. Also I think whoever bought the domain should be trying to scoop up whiskey.com that is on auction at godaddy right now as it is the common spelling in the US

•••
if he becomes known, domain owners that he contacts to *buy*, might ask for more money.

•••

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 58
•••
•••
if he becomes known, domain owners that he contacts to *buy*, might ask for more money.

...and that is a solid legitimate reason that make a ton of business sense...

•••
Would love to know more about you Toofun.

It appears to me that DNJournal used his middle name (not anonymous), and if you Google that with his first name (provided by godolphin in this thread), the mystery is history.

•••
Ohh that guy. Damn major congrats!

•••
Back