Dynadot

question When do you call it "quits" on a domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Simple question that I suspect will have many replies.

You've been there. You handregged a domain. Thought you had "a good one" but then it hasn't gotten any bites on any of the marketplaces? or is it a matter of "too soon" as in the market isn't there yet?

let's not talk about the domains you tried your best to do outbounds but simply no bites (although you can mention if it's useful info) those we can assume are obvious candidates for deletes.

I'm talking about the domains you didn't do much outbounds for or never got around to it. You still fancy them and believe in your heart they could sell.

So do you STAY or do you Drop?

What decisions did you guys make in this situation?

also. what other solutions did you come up with to sell them quickly right before they expire so as to recoup your loses. Include Namepros obvious. but any please else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Man, I have been dropping them or trying to sell them for a fraction of what I paid to recoup even a few bucks. It's never easy when it's a domain you like or really think is worth more, but I just think about how much the renewals will be, or how much I've already spent on them and cut my loses and chalk it up as a learning experience. I keep trying to focus on higher quality names lately and holding a lower quantity of names overall due to the renewal price on borderline names.

•••
Man, I have been dropping them or trying to sell them for a fraction of what I paid to recoup even a few bucks. It's never easy when it's a domain you like or really think is worth more, but I just think about how much the renewals will be, or how much I've already spent on them and cut my loses and chalk it up as a learning experience. I keep trying to focus on higher quality names lately and holding a lower quantity of names overall due to the renewal price on borderline names.

hey I like your angle with your "expired domains list." that's something that will make visitors want to sign up for your newsletter.

after which you can pump them your domains for sale.

especially good on Twitter or facebook.

Where do you get your expired lists from? Expireddomains.net?

If you want people to follow you. You have to give them a reason to. I always say. seriously need to do this.

•••
Thanks man!
I usually just spend a couple hours each night on expireddomains.net. Sometimes it's tough with my schedule, but the more I've been doing it the quicker I'm getting at it. I don't know if I'm getting much better at finding them though haha. The thing that stinks is putting together the affiliate link side of it. So far it honestly hasn't been worth it at all from that standpoint, but I think it's helping me to focus more on higher quality names.

•••
When you are behind in the mortgage and no food in house..
Oops..thought it was give up on domaining

Last edited:
•••
I had names since 1999 that I am dropping finally this year. Dropping them like an ex-girlfriend now:) Registered many of them while I was drunk actually and was hoping my junk was somebody else treasure, hasn't happened lol

•••
if with in one years there's no offer! I will drop them for sure! and 1 month before expired, I will try to sell them cheap! and if not sell, I will let them expired! but I don't mind, if nobody buy my domain! afterall, it's only $10 :)

•••
Try to get some ad revenue to cover the cost of keeping them.

•••
Once I went a year of buying like 50+ domains a month and then the the renewals stated coming in at 30-50 of them a month, I slowed down big time on the buying and only renewed what I thought were the best of them.

Meanwhile most of them I did outbound on several times, lowering the price each time, so by renewal time I was confident I wouldn't sell most of them unless I got a lucky inbound.

Sometimes I never got around to marketing some of them. So I am letting most of them go. I found someone who buys some of them off me for cheap so I can recoup a little on some of them.

I am still way up overall but business is slowing this last month. I am waiting until after Labor day to start hitting the outbound hard again.

•••
before you drop - post the names here on Namepros to see if you can recoup some of the costs

•••
From my experience doing that , nobody buys here unless its gold and selling for pennies. lol

•••
I just got a sale thru Go Daddy. Woohoo! I love seeing that email "Your Premium Listing Just Sold"

•••
From my experience doing that , nobody buys here unless its gold and selling for pennies. lol

You hit the nail on the head on that one bro!

Last edited:
•••
if with in one years there's no offer! I will drop them for sure!

I have had domains like this where they were in the grace period or even redemption where I suddenly got an offer.

You never can tell when an offer will come in.

•••
Sometimes it takes longer than a year to sell a domain. If you look at Mike Mann's domains, most of his are longer than one year holds, with many of them a 5 year hold before he sells.

•••
•••
I have had domains like this where they were in the grace period or even redemption where I suddenly got an offer.

You never can tell when an offer will come in.
This is not a sound business practice because you are assuming that an offer will come when in fact many domains never receive an offer. Also, you can't really compare his situation to Michael Mann's because he own tens of thousands of domains including many ultra premium ones which he can sale at any time and use a portion of his profits to cover the cost of renewals for his domains. The average domainer doesn't have that luxury.

•••
I had offers not only in RGP but even on the domain that was available... Some cached 3rd-party WHOIS was used by the buyer... and they contacted me... Then I quickly regged this Non-English .PRO again and sold it for $888.

•••
they could sell.

So do you STAY or do you Drop?

What decisions did you guys make in this situation?
It is very simple decision for me...
If I have enough budget - I always renew them all...
If not - then only the best of them.

Last edited:
•••
When it no longer covers reg fee and I don't think there's a wide enough market for the domain.

•••
When I acquire a .com name with an intention to sell I fully expect to hold the name at least 5+ years and figure I have / will have a minimum of $50. invested in the name. ( 5 years reg fees and holding costs minimum).

If the name holds steady with traffic patterns over a few years and it's perceived marketplace appears stable I likely will keep on feeding it's registrar renewal fees.

I do inbound only and price most between 1k - 5k. from the get-go.

If I notice a precipitous decline in traffic or interest in whatever niche it's in for a couple of years, I
re-consider it's merits and pricing and likely price drop for a year or two.

So, following a sustained incoming traffic drop and with a corresponding substantial Buy Now price drop,
if no sale materializes in the next year or two it is usually my time to remove the name from auto-renewal
and bid farewell.

Last edited:
•••
This is not a sound business practice because you are assuming that an offer will come when in fact many domains never receive an offer. Also, you can't really compare his situation to Michael Mann's because he own tens of thousands of domains including many ultra premium ones which he can sale at any time and use a portion of his profits to cover the cost of renewals for his domains. The average domainer doesn't have that luxury.

What does your post have to do with what you quoted???

•••
I have never had a single inbound on any of my domains, even my 4L .com's. Not sure why but it dont bother me much. I seem to do better by flipping them on afternic for $99 if i get no interest from outbounds. Or i will list them on namejet and hope for the best

•••
My Method:
Renew futuristic domains, drop Nonsensical domains.

•••
I haven't reached the stage yet where I need to make that kind of decision.

But, I've already decided that the names that don't sell will get dropped.

They are just words on a page to me, I have no affection for them, and if no one wants to buy them then I won't renew them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back