Dynadot

discuss What it means to be a Domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
When I read bio of one domainer's Twitter profile:

Following trends or simply copying others does not make you a #domainer, you still need to have patience, passion and flair..... a lot of flair

For me To be a Domainer is buy domains, sell domains, park domains or develop, buy domains which I like. Sell domains to a first buyer at any price as Domain Trader. Hold domains and sell it to a buyer for my desired price or an unexpected high price as Domain Investor. Read domaining information, news. Learning Domaining. Write outbounds, improve skills. Domaining is my hobby.

What is To be a Domainer for you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Buy & Sell domains - you summed it up right a the beginning.......

Everything else is a by product......you can register or buy as many domains as you want but unless you sell any or do any research/learning then your just a gambler.....

Also...I would not have a built out a website without coming across domaining so glad I found out about it :xf.smile:

•••
For me to be a domainer for life is the know-how thrill of clicking an available whois handreg .com of any new ideas' that arrive in the futurism for $10 (kept the mind open in this way to look)

Last edited:
•••
Having a great list of names and selling them for money.

•••
A domainer is an individual or company that actively engages in the buying, selling, marketing, monetization and publishing of internet domain names and other related web and or internet-based properties.

Domainers often generate income through domain parking and/or website development, with the main purpose of generating revenue from advertising click through and/or selling a property for a multiple of the cost to develop the website.

Many domainers target generic words which can be valuable for type-in traffic and for the dominant position they would have in any field due to their descriptive nature. Generic words and phrases like poker, insurance, travel, creditcards, sex and others are attractive targets of domain speculation in any top-level domain.

Credit: https://www.domainsherpa.com/domain-name-dictionary/domainer/

•••
•••
to be a qualified domainer, might like fishing as a hobby as well.

•••
Listing on afternic 25k then getting an email their broker negotiated one of your junk and teady to had gave me 15k (last year)

•••
I don't really like the term "domainer". I prefer "domain investor".

I am hoping to acquire domains and turn a profit on them in the future, normally via resale.

It just feels like that term fits better.

Brad

•••
For me being a domainer means freedom to work from a homestay in the greater Himalayas

•••
Means not making first offer $x,xxx - $xx,xxx when he had $xxx,xxx
i sold internationalflights.com

Last edited:
•••
A domainer is a domain name dealer. Dealer: someone who buys or sells goods. Investor, flipper, speculator, hobbyist, trader, whatever. You deal with domain names. Done.

Though personally, have never been particularly fond of the word "dealer".

On my portfolio site, I state I specialize in digital properties.

We have yet to add a community accepted definition of "domainer" to:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-domaining-dictionary.744093/

•••
Last edited:
•••
Someone who deals with the buying and selling of domains.

Whether speculative, investments, brokering, etc.

Last edited:
•••
Someone who deals with the buying and selling of domains.

Whether speculative, investments, brokering, etc.

Thanks for sharing your opinion @enterscope but I think it's too general, and also requires some context.

•••
Thanks for sharing your opinion @enterscope but I think it's too general, and also requires some context.

Luckily the good news is I don't think a whole lot is required to be a domainer. Simply an interest in domains could be enough. It's a wonderful, free, open market available to all.

•••
Luckily the good news is I don't think a whole lot is required to be a domainer. Simply an interest in domains could be enough. It's a wonderful, free, open market available to all.
I agree it's an open market, but disagree that an interest in domain names makes you a domainer. I have an interest in flowers but it doesn't make me a gardener. Words have meanings, that's what they were invented for.

A domainer earns a living from buying, selling and leasing domain names.

•••
I agree it's an open market, but disagree that an interest in domain names makes you a domainer. I have an interest in flowers but it doesn't make me a gardener. Words have meanings, that's what they were invented for.

Does a gardener have to earn a living to be a gardener... ?

There are many domain investors that don't earn a living from domains but hold top-tier single word .coms. They may only get 1 sale every few years. Doesn't mean they aren't domainers.

Last edited:
•••
Does a gardener have to earn a living to be a gardener... ?

There are many domain investors that don't earn a living from domains but hold top-tier single word .coms. They may only get 1 sale every few years. Doesn't mean they aren't domainers.
No but they have to actively do gardening mate. Simply reading about gardening doesn't make you a gardener on any level, pro or amateur.

•••
The er part of domainer means they actively do something, and it this case it's buying, selling and leasing domain names. A hiker hikes up mountains, a body builder builds their body, a driver drives somewhere, so it's the same for a domainer. That's why

•••
Back