Dynadot

What's up with all the lack of aftermarket UPDATES/INNOVATION in our Industry?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I give credit where is due: Undeveloped and Efty.

These are the only two sales platforms that are actually Trying! When I say trying, I mean they actually listen to feedback and bring something to the table that isn't dull and dated.

Everyone else? Sedo, Afternic, GoDaddy? Update something! It's been years.

At the end of the day, for a domain buyer, it's all about Trust. The big names have the Trust but lack everything else.

Afternic hasn't been updated in maybe a decade or more, you can't even view more than 50 domains at a time...Sedo's landing pages look like you stepped back into the year 1995, and aren't even optimized for mobile in the year 2019!

And GoDaddy? of all places, when are you going to actually offer investors real landing/sales pages to sell their domains with? And I don't mean the generic, tiny text link when using their default nameservers, I'm talking...a *real* landing/sales page? take a look at DomainMarket or HugeDomains and take note.

"If a buyer wants your domain and it's worth a lot, then hey, we're more trusted than anyone else to facilitate the sale, everything else? it is what it is."

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This might be an unpopular opinion, but there’s something about Afternic’s design that seems trustworthy to me. Perhaps it’s the green color, but what I attribute it most to is the “dated” feel of the design, ironically enough.

I actually just recently deleted my portfolio at Afternic because I don’t really care for their service. I’ve had my account for only a short period of time but even in that short period, I’ve been unimpresssed. So I’m going to use my own landers and Epik, where I’ve been more impressed by the service.

But again, to Afternic’s credit, something about the layout says “we’re established” and therefore “we’re trustworthy”.

•••
When the only word that matters is 'money' then 'creativity' and 'innovation' is out of the door.

Thanks for bringing up that topic.

•••
When the only word that matters is 'money' then 'creativity' and 'innovation' is out of the door.

Thanks for bringing up that topic.

My thought exactly, well said!!

•••

These are the only two sales platforms that are actually Trying! When I say trying, I mean they actually listen to feedback and bring something to the table that isn't dull and dated.

At the end of the day, for a domain buyer, it's all about Trust. The big names have the Trust but lack everything else.

Afternic hasn't been updated in maybe a decade or more, you can't even view more than 50 domains at a time...Sedo's landing pages look like you stepped back into the year 1995, and aren't even optimized for mobile in the year 2019!

And GoDaddy? of all places, when are you going to actually offer investors real landing/sales pages to sell their domains with? And I don't mean the generic, tiny text link when using their default nameservers, I'm talking...a *real* landing/sales page? take a look at DomainMarket or HugeDomains and take note.

"If a buyer wants your domain and it's worth a lot, then hey, we're more trusted than anyone else to facilitate the sale, everything else? it is what it is."

Bodis has been adding much anticipated features now too.

Been waiting for Sedo to offer visit analytics like all the others do.... still waiting. Wont add names there unless I can see where the traffic is coming from.

•••
I say uniregistry too. They add new features and funtionality often.

I agree Bodis, Efty, Undeveloped.

•••
Deleted.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with you, especially with regards to sedo.

"guys we have big market share so let's not make any improvements and just collect commissions"
lol

Godaddy seems to be like this too. I tried their domain auctions app on my phone and you can't even search for domain names on it lol.

•••
I've given a bit more thought to this thread. Undeveloped and Efty are relatively new-comers to the industry. Are we not witnessing and experiencing the common displacement of industry mainstays by more-innovative competitors, as has been seen in most industries? Twenty years ago, if I wanted to purchase a cell phone, my go-to brands would have been Nokia and Ericsson. Economy car: Maybe a Saturn! Maybe a Pointiac! What about that new Korean brand, Daewoo (remember them?). And look at how far Kia has come in the past two decades.

It is up to the consumers and participants in the market to recognize the added value of newcomers who do innovate. And it seems that many on NP are doing just that.

•••

Hey there, and thanks for the frank feedback everyone. It is true that especially in 2018 we lacked in innovations. The main reason for this was our data center move that we performed. It took a lot of time and effort and blocked other features. It was an important project though, since now we're able to move forward much quicker than before, and create features for our clients on a flexible and up-to-date technology basis.

I understand you're more talking about new features, and not about pricing or inventory, but allow us to recap what has been done in 2019 so far.

• We have waived the minimum commissions, so sellers can earn more revenue than before.
  • We are constantly a/b testing our search and overall website. Just recently we tried out a new homepage with a different search bar placement, to find out if this results in more search queries for your domains.
  • In our search, we removed the link to the offer details page and show a layer with the domain specifics instead. This is good for sellers, because the buyers won't be moving away from the search page like they did when clicking through to the the domain details page. That means users a more likely to see more of your domains that they could be interested in. In the end, your domains get longer and more exposure.
  • We expanded our SedoMLS network and have new partners like Alibaba, or Xinnet, which is the second largest registrar in China, so your domains get more exposure.
  • New users are now automatically standard certified, so they don't have another hurdle before they can start bidding on your domains.
  • We launched expiringdomains.sedo.com. That might not sound too enticing for you as a seller right now, but on that site you can see that we display metrics that we don't show on our regular search page. We will evaluate what works best there and adapt more metrics to the Sedo search eventually.

We are working on a lot of more projects currently, but all I can say right now is that "Sedo doesn't offer a sales lander" shouldn't be an issue anymore by the end of the year, latest ;) I know we promised to have this feature available before, but we weren't able to keep it. And for that we are sorry. But we're very confident that this time around we're on track with this feature.

Question from our side: Which landing page is not optimized for mobile devices? Can you tell us which one you're referring to? The parking pages are optimized for parking revenue. They might not look fancy, but they are optimized for ad clicks, not for sales, which works well (Also a/b tested continuously).
The domain detail pages are responsive, and the Sedo home page is responsive, too (before the log in).

Let us know what else you'd like to see at Sedo, and where do you think we should improve. Thanks again for the feedback, and talk to you soon.

•••
Let us know what else you'd like to see at Sedo, and where do you think we should improve.
Thanks for the willingness to listen. Is there any registrar partner of SedoMLS which allows you to list domains for sale on SedoMLS right from within the registrar's website instead of the current approach of creating a TXT record and waiting for verification of ownership?

•••
Thanks for the willingness to listen. Is there any registrar partner of SedoMLS which allows you to list domains for sale on SedoMLS right from within the registrar's website instead of the current approach of creating a TXT record and waiting for verification of ownership?

I think hexonet offer something similar. It's worth checking it out since they offer said feature for both Sedo's MLS and Afternic's Fast Transfer

edit:
just checked, here is an example:
upload_2019-6-14_15-5-26.png

Last edited:
•••
I think hexonet offer something similar. It's worth checking it out since they offer said feature for both Sedo's MLS and Afternic's Fast Transfer
Thanks Hypersot. This feature should be implemented by every domain registrar unless you have your own MLS listing service.

•••
SquadHelp, Undeveloped, Efty, Bodis, Dofo, DomComp, Whoxy (...)
These are all game changers.
But yeah, that Afternic design and layout really does get on my nerves, it's so hideous, I can't wrap my head around on how they get so much sales.

•••
We are working on a lot of more projects currently, but all I can say right now is that "Sedo doesn't offer a sales lander" shouldn't be an issue anymore by the end of the year, latest ;) I know we promised to have this feature available before, but we weren't able to keep it. And for that we are sorry. But we're very confident that this time around we're on track with this feature.

When ☝️ is done, many lost sellers will return to you, & many others will stick around.

End of the year is 6 months away, but still, its good news. imo

•••
In Mid-June we’ll announce it directly here together with the launch of the best domain sales and monetization infrastructure ever built.
Innovation in 4 days.

•••
Bodis has been adding much anticipated features now too.

Been waiting for Sedo to offer visit analytics like all the others do.... still waiting. Wont add names there unless I can see where the traffic is coming from.
Hope you don't mind an off topic question, may I know which site allows detailed analytics? I tried UD's but I thought each ID from Google Analytics is only for 1 domain, and UD only allows input for 1 ID?

•••
  • We have waived the minimum commissions, so sellers can earn more revenue than before.
  • We are constantly a/b testing our search and overall website. Just recently we tried out a new homepage with a different search bar placement, to find out if this results in more search queries for your domains.
  • In our search, we removed the link to the offer details page and show a layer with the domain specifics instead. This is good for sellers, because the buyers won't be moving away from the search page like they did when clicking through to the the domain details page. That means users a more likely to see more of your domains that they could be interested in. In the end, your domains get longer and more exposure.
  • We expanded our SedoMLS network and have new partners like Alibaba, or Xinnet, which is the second largest registrar in China, so your domains get more exposure.
  • New users are now automatically standard certified, so they don't have another hurdle before they can start bidding on your domains.
  • We launched expiringdomains.sedo.com. That might not sound too enticing for you as a seller right now, but on that site you can see that we display metrics that we don't show on our regular search page. We will evaluate what works best there and adapt more metrics to the Sedo search eventually.
If the bolded part is true, then this is great news! When exactly did this happen? Sometime earlier this year I sold a few domains through SedoMLS, but the min comm was still there so I took quite a big damage from it, didn't receive much in the end.

As for MLS expansion, may we know is this for Premium MLS or Basic MLS?

•••
Hope you don't mind an off topic question, may I know which site allows detailed analytics? I tried UD's but I thought each ID from Google Analytics is only for 1 domain, and UD only allows input for 1 ID?

Bodis, Efty, Undeveloped have allowed Google Analytics. If you park at those places you will see that you can add a Google Analytics code and it will give you a wealth of information at who is looking at your names.

Example Bodis (others are very similarly implemented):
upload_2019-6-14_9-7-15.png

Others may also permit a GA code for tracking traffic but I am not aware of them. I am aware that Sedo doesnt. Also, Voodoo doesnt yet - hopefully soon..

•••
I sell well and gets lots of inquiries via my own landing pages and via Afternic Sedo DomainAgents. Uniregistry few inquiries no sales in some time. UNDeveloped definitely at the bottom of the totem pole with one ridiculous rock bottom offer only and no other inquiries less than zero closed sales at UNDeveloped. UNDeveloped should change its name to UNSold.
Innovation doesn’t seem to translate to traffic. UNDeveloped marketplace remains deader than dead.

You guys who are sticking to UNDeveloped if you’re selling are selling only because of your own domains. Stop using UNDeveloped’s landing pages, instead upload your domains to their marketplace, and your UNDeveloped sales will drop to zero. You could use your own landing pages and you’d get exactly the same results as far visibility / exposure to buyers without paying 9% to UNDeveloped.

Bottom line is that whether innovating or not - Afternic Sedo and DomainAgents have actual potential buyers - lots of them - scouring their marketplaces. UNDeveloped - not so much.

Last edited:
•••
I can and do deal with all of these companies although each one seems to have strengths and weaknesses.

What comes to mind for me is, why there isn't more budget used for advertising outside the domain investor community. GD has done some and I believe it is why the average consumer mainly knows GD.

Also, I dont know why we can't have more uniform pricing. Makes no sense to have to transfer names because renewals go so high. Or having to shop around for the best reg price.

What I would love is a complete domain investor management solution. I would love to have a single account where I can search and register domains, see traffic on my names, one click submission to marketplaces, one click transfers between registrars, one click landing page setup, one click auction submission, all linked to my PayPal or whatever. Add industry news, sales data, whois, etc. and it would be a winner for me.

Currently, unless I'm missing something, it's a lot of work for a domain investor.

I'll just add that some of the most trafficked sites like craigslist dont bother with aesthetics. It's because it's simple and basic. Average people like some and basic.

Last edited:
•••
Just saw this when I logged into Sedo today:

So we are eliminating the minimum fee until the end of 2019.

Only this year? A little disappointing to know that.....

•••

“…we are launching the greatest piece of sales infrastructure ever launched to sell a domain name. Nobody innovates like Uni.”

Frank Schilling. Uniregistry. 8 Nov 2018

https://twitter.com/Frank_Schilling

ETA July/August 2019

- - - - - - - -

“In Mid-June we’ll announce it [a new domain name] directly here together with the launch of the best domain sales and monetization infrastructure ever built.”

Reza. Undeveloped. 28 May 2019

https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/page-87
(Comment # 2170)

ETA June 2019

•••

These SedoMLS partner registrars offer what you're asking for:

• Fabulous.com
  • Check Domain
  • Hexonet
  • RRPproxy
  • World4you

You just need a registrar ID. Here's how to generate it in your account: https://sedo.com/faq/faq.php?language=us&faqid=4188 It's pretty straight forward.

•••
If the bolded part is true, then this is great news! When exactly did this happen? Sometime earlier this year I sold a few domains through SedoMLS, but the min comm was still there so I took quite a big damage from it, didn't receive much in the end.

As for MLS expansion, may we know is this for Premium MLS or Basic MLS?

This has been active since May 6th. Both mentioned registrars are SedoMLS Premium partners.

•••
Back