IT.COM

discuss What REALLY Annoys You Most About The Domain Industry?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
As the above question asks, what REALLY annoys you most about the domain industry?

Perhaps it's the unjustified renewal/transfer fees, registrar locks, poor sales platforms and their high commission fees, a lack of more localised events or something else?

Interested to know your thoughts...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Those who clearly have an agenda against some product or service, and post misleading material or comments not backed up by any specific evidence. Especially if they have an unreported conflict of interest, or hide behind anonymity in a newly registered account.

•••
•••
Reading some huge sale number on DNJ and it states it was an end user sale and then later going to see the domain is parked. Then a few months later you notice, it's still parked. Hmmm.

Solely "Price discovery" publicity?

Someone should start another thread on this "phenomenon", or whatever you want to call it.

•••
Not enough extensions .wtf would have been nicer.

•••
New extensions are only for End Users only. For an investment purpose, they are not advisable.

•••
Reading some huge sale number on DNJ and it states it was an end user sale and then later going to see the domain is parked. Then a few months later you notice, it's still parked. Hmmm.

Solely "Price discovery" publicity?

Someone should start another thread on this "phenomenon", or whatever you want to call it.

I suspect the same thing, but it is possible that someone pays 6 figures, and then parks or never uses that domain. None of my top sales resolve now. 2 .infos and 2 .bizs in 5 figures. One of them was redirecting to a live site but now it doesn't. My 5th top sale, which is .info doesn't resolve. 6th top sale which is .biz is parked at undeveloped.com. 7th one redirects to .com.

•••
What annoys me is is there's of deceitful involved within it, right at the very top from brokers to shill bidding to scammers to bullshitters (offers they've received/inquiries received etc).

Also how some people make a hand-reg and think they are going to be rich from it.

•••
New extensions are only for End Users only. For an investment purpose, they are not advisable.
if i could get fk
I suspect the same thing, but it is possible that someone pays 6 figures, and then parks or never uses that domain. None of my top sales resolve now. 2 .infos and 2 .bizs in 5 figures. One of them was redirecting to a live site but now it doesn't. My 5th top sale, which is .info doesn't resolve. 6th top sale which is .biz is parked at undeveloped.com. 7th one redirects to .com.

Some people just don't get the chance to develop a $10 domain and turn it into a 1 billion dollar website. Because they get stuck thinking the domain name means more, than the end game.

•••
when you order a backorder and then find out the domain got registered a month after the domain was deleted.

(yea yea sure sure. I should be checking deleting domains constantly just in case. But isn't that the point of ordering a backorder? to set it and have someone else worry about it for $9-$20 bucks?)

ahem ahem ahem CrazyDomains.com??

to add insult to injury. even though you ordered the backorder and the registrar didn't get it.

and it's been out for a month not being dropcatched or backorder or even registered.

you're still the idiot who decides it's a good idea to register it. lol

•••
What annoys me is is there's of deceitful involved within it, right at the very top from brokers to shill bidding to scammers to bullsh*tters (offers they've received/inquiries received etc).

Also how some people make a hand-reg and think they are going to be rich from it.

yea! like the domain that fell thru the cracks and I let delete that went to Huge Domains and then somehow I'm getting $10,000 offers on now.

even though anyone with a brain can clearly just type the domain in the address bar and find out the price of $2985 on it.

Yet they still want to "supposedly" buy it from me for $10,000.

Even the whois info is Hugedomains.

shady shady shady

•••
What really "burns my azz" (no not a flame that waist high..) about the domain industry ..no
matter how honest and legit investors I am, I am still called a "squatter". usually when I am being super low balled...

•••
buyers who offer $9,500 after many days of negotiation and just before the deal is about to close they say that they only have $8,500. Happened to me on here .. you know who you are!

•••
That it's just about trading office supply between domainers, instead of using the office supply. (building websites)

More focus should be for web development. Not as investments. The amount of money you can make with a website for out numbers the amount you can make by just selling a domain name. A $1k domain name can generate a $120k a year income, as a web business. etc.

•••
Let's say I buy 1000 domains for 10 each in one year, and each have potential to sell for 4 figures or more. I sell 20 of them for 500 each, in one year. This way I recover the reg cost, and I have 980 domains as profit and no cash! If I sell all the rest for 10 usd at forums I have profit, but not worth the effort. If I renew all I start the next year with -10K cash, and 1000 domains. After 2 years I may have -20K cash and 2000 sellable but unselling domains. .. So what to do in this case: Develop and earn ppc revenue: but at the moment I totally distrust parking services, and search engines... Another alternative is to sell faster, more domains, but contacting potential endusers don't work. People want to buy domains as their own decision. They would rather pay 50K as their own decision than pay 50 to you after your promotion....

Money has to come to domainer system from somewhere. If domainers sell to eachother only, in total money will be lost because of reg fees and renewals. Domainers renew 1 million 4 letter .coms. which makes 10 million. So at least 10 million per year needed, which means 200K of sales every week. I feel there is no money in this business on average.

Last edited:
•••
More than twenty years after the internet went mainstream most end users still do not see a reason to pay a premium price for a domain name. Yet they will not question a five figure invoice for web development of legal services or lease costs.

•••
Fake sales
Hugedomains took more than 80 of my domains
Dropcatch
Dynadot Actions
Renewal fees

Last edited:
•••
death of real names and hand reg names, dominance of premium names.

•••
Spam phone calls, outdated interfaces and a lack of transparency.

•••
•••
Privacy options. Its all or nothing. I dont mind having my email available to contact me about my domain...but home address and phone number too? Getting 20+ spam calls a day, never ending blocked phone numbers, and having to silence my phone at work.
Should be able to have select privacy. Share want you want, and what you dont.

•••
I prefer privacy for address and phone but not for email. But even if my email is made public, people won't search whois because they "know" they won't get emails. Only robots will know.
Btw recently indian webmaster spam almost disappeared. I don't know why.

•••
•••
•••
way too many ridiculous ext. its outta hand and has contributed to domain values dropping imo

•••
Hi

I guess a lot of things could be annoying:..
like those who use the term "domain flipping" as if they are making pancakes :)

or those who post "premium" as description of their names, when they know they are not
or those who post lists of past "comparable" sales in their threads and none of their names are comparable.

those and others things could be annoying, but now i just laugh to myself

it wasn't like this before esibot,
before the pick and shovel sellers...
before domainers became the end-users of things they really don't need.

i guess the most annoying thing to me is:
those who take advantage of others ignorance, assumptions and presumptions
and the naivete' of those, who don't know they are being taken advantage of.

puff puff....

imo....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back