IT.COM

What's going on with Epik and Rob Monster?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I'm catching the tail end of this, seems to be some kind of controversy...

https://domaingang.com/domain-news/rob-monster-off-twitter-after-christchurch-massacre-controversy/

Must be something odd to evoke this type of a response from one of our members.

Picture0016.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Announcing it here is the same bad form.
There were numerous people here who asked for it, if you go back, and look.

He is simply responding to them. He is only taking a loss of like $1.25 per domain, hardly a promotion.

Guy is giving out free money $6.99 transfers, not exactly harming namepros members, give him a break.

Last edited:
•••
Announcing it here is the same bad form.

To be fair, it was a specific response to a specific question from @LarryDomain in the thread. Apparently not everyone wants to be caught in the cross-fire of a massive GD/Uni migration.

The alternative would have been to ignore the question. Frankly, I am not sure that would have been a classier approach, but if that is how they roll in Groningen these days, no problem Doron.

And no Doron, I don't think Godaddy will buy Efty. The commute to Groningen is not going to be practical for most logical acquirers anyway. Amsterdam is better. With the Uni deal done, I would align with Reza.

•••
Last edited:
•••
The alternative would have been to ignore the question. Frankly, I am not sure that would have been a classier approach, but if that is how they roll in Groningen these days, no problem Doron.

The alternative would be to use PM, no need to ignore anyone. Even Groningers don't roll like that.

Well, it would be bad form to announce a promo in this thread.

Not sure what the fuss is about since all I did was repeat what you wrote yourself a short while ago.

Last edited:
•••
it's not about DuckDuckgo
it's about epik making claims/promises
in order to attract clients
( "we don't track friends" )

that they won't keep
when their mind changes

Frank - .

As for Google Analytics, it almost completely rooted out. There are not a great alternatives actually. We are looking and have reason to believe the Epik.com SEO is enhanced by using GA on the marketing pages.

I am not aware of quite as many companies that have empowered as many privacy initiatives as we have in the last year. Examples:

- Anonymize.com - Free VPN, zero-track DNS, and free WHOIS.
- BItMitigate - zero track CloudFlare alternative
- Toki.com - anonymous, decentralized search
- Us.Tv - YouTube alternative with zero tracking
- Watchmask.com - video watching proxy using SOCKS5.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. The rhetoric is backed with action, even when it is uncomfortable:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/have-you-hugged-your-whois-privacy-provider-today.1162503/

The ancient Tweet that you like to dredge up is now deleted so we can all move on to more productive things to do with our day.

Long story short: when it comes to advancing people's privacy, we do what we can and that is more than most. We all have our calling.. Some guys ideas. Some guys' execute. Some guys throw rocks.

•••
•••
Frank - .

As for Google Analytics, it almost completely rooted out. There are not a great alternatives actually. We are looking and have reason to believe the Epik.com SEO is enhanced by using GA on the marketing pages.

I am not aware of quite as many companies that have empowered as many privacy initiatives as we have in the last year. Examples:

- Anonymize.com - Free VPN, zero-track DNS, and free WHOIS.
- BItMitigate - zero track CloudFlare alternative
- Toki.com - anonymous, decentralized search
- Us.Tv - YouTube alternative with zero tracking
- Watchmask.com - video watching proxy using SOCKS5.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. The rhetoric is backed with action, even when it is uncomfortable:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/have-you-hugged-your-whois-privacy-provider-today.1162503/

The ancient Tweet that you like to dredge up is now deleted so we can all move on to more productive things to do with our day.

Long story short: when it comes to advancing people's privacy, we do what we can and that is more than most. We all have our calling.. Some guys ideas. Some guys' execute. Some guys throw rocks.

Rob, I have no problem with somebody using analytics
but I guess its common understanding
that it's a tracking tool

and of course, you want to track.
nothing wrong with it.

but promising to an audience
-DuckDuckgo Audience-
what they love to hear in order to attract them
is a different scenario

deleting an old -not ancient- post from -not 1998- but 2018-
is not the right thing to do, as it cures nothing

posting another post to those guys
and letting them know,
time has changed and so has epik,
would be the right move

don't forget:
you are no lier.

and as an honest bible-proof Christian
where is the bible quote that explains,
that a promise must be kept - but only for a short while?

upload_2020-2-13_19-53-35.png

Last edited:
•••
Just checking what people are discussing in "What's going on with Epik and Rob Monster" thread's page 113 these days... Whatever is going, it is still going strong ))

•••
To be clear. Rob Monster has made many false claims regarding his products. I have not reviewed for them for 6+ months because once I catch someone being dishonest I have a very hard time trusting them again. Rob Monster and Epik are simply reselling (white labeling) almost all of their products DDoS, VPN, etc.

•••
To be on topic...

Rob, any UPDATE on blocking spammers? Are you going to block or empower them?
Or are you more worried about likes-to-post ratio on a forum.

•••
Earlier we saw that Epik posted on Gab seeking investment in Epik. Did Epik seek investment on Namepros?

An employee of Gab's hosting company in fact disclosed that Gab had way less users than Gab had told the SEC, possibly one reason Gab abandoned their request to the SEC for an IPO

In a series of interviews, emails and text messages, Lilac Kapul said Gab’s claims in U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filings on Dec. 19 and Jan. 28 of more than 835,000 users greatly exceeds the internet infrastructure capacity that London-based Sibyl is providing to Gab. Kapul, a resident of Brisbane, Australia, also said Gab’s user data indicates that most of the active users on the site signed up soon after it was launched in August 2016, raising questions about Gab’s claims of rapid growth.

“Based on what they are getting through us services-wise there is no way they have 800,000 users, or it would be very odd if they did,” Kapul told Hatewatch. “I would say they probably have a few thousand or a few tens of thousands. That sounds a lot more believable.”

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2019/02/14/no-way-gab-has-800000-users-web-host-says

Later Gab withdrew their request to the SEC:
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch...-sec-filing-amid-growing-financial-challenges

@carob -- not sure if the below tweet is related. (from about 5 months after your post)

https://archive.li/PGcWz

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Uhh.. not sure if this needs a new thread, or if the title of, "what is going on with epik" will encompass what twitter has been discussing for the past 24 hours or so...

https://archive.li/0S7Fc

Show attachment 152110

Oh wow, just checked their Twitter account:

39 minutes ago, tweet To Be A Patriot, will have to read it more thoroughly later (food time). Quick look, something about somebody having a site, getting the boot for violating the TOS, then getting mad about it, something like that.

Blog post - https://www.epik.com/blog/to-be-a-patriot

Last edited:
•••

39 minutes ago, tweet To Be A Patriot, will have to read it more thoroughly later (food time). Quick look, something about somebody having a site, getting the boot for violating the TOS, them getting mad about it, something like that.

Yeah, I don't have the time to look into all this now.

If it was any other registrar, I'd be surprised.

But I guess if your Epik, and have supposedly made enemies with the likes of George Soros, should this kind of headlines be a surprise to anybody anymore, or is this just another day in the life of...?

Four questions that instantly come to mind:

1. Why / how did epik tweet a screenshot of an epik marketplace inquiry/offer?
  2. Does epik screen (manually view) all communication that come in via epik landing pages?
  3. Was George Soros involved, or will he or his interests be blamed?
  4. What the heck is going on with/@ epik?

Last edited:
•••
Wow! Great to hear Epik has a new customer. Congratulations Epik! Keep winning!

•••

39 minutes ago, tweet To Be A Patriot, will have to read it more thoroughly later (food time). Quick look, something about somebody having a site, getting the boot for violating the TOS, then getting mad about it, something like that.

Blog post - https://www.epik.com/blog/to-be-a-patriot

@JB Lions -- Did you have time to look into this yet?

First off, I wonder who wrote the Blog Epik blog post To become a Patriot ... was it @Rob Monster or @Intelliname ? I only mention @Intelliname as the writing style seemed similar to his recent writings on namePros / domain blogs, and there was also reference to wikipedia, stating

"...Our issues with wikipedia and the wikimedia foundation being one such example, where literally dozens of professional change requests have been systematically deneied, and in some cases openly mocked and laughed at within a worldwide public forum..."

As that statement mentions being laughed at in a world wide public forum, I wonder if the epik blog is referring to the namePros thread, in which @Rob Monster had posted @Intelliname attempts to have the wikipedia article changed. Unfortunately, that attempt seemed abusive towards wikipedia members, nor did it appear Epik or Rob(s) were following wikipedia procedure. Instead, they seemed to shout conspiracies and fake news whenever things weren't going there way. I say fake news, but I really mean, there were verifiable reasons for their experiences, and it wasn't a grand conspiracy.

I also wonder if whomever wrote the article knows the definition of patriot.

noun
  1. a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.
    "a true patriot"
Here's what I can tell so far:

Twitter member Leviticus19_18 might be Joshua -- aka epik's client and the registrant of 9chan.us who received the inquiry from Dolphin H. F*cker.

E.g. The inquiry that the Epik account had retweeted was accompanied by a tweet stating "... the very first complaint we received after take down was from someone who was urgently needing "dolphin sex."

-- wow that was hard to write without stopping, and saying, WTF?!.

https://archive.li/0S7Fc

upload_2020-4-24_0-51-8.png

Josh retweets epik released the domain, and will allow forwarding.
https://archive.li/VYA9J
upload_2020-4-24_1-0-3.png

At some point, it looks like Josh got banned from Twitter
https://archive.li/uFJFJ

upload_2020-4-24_1-1-15.png

Archive of Josh Twitter [Twitter user Leviticus19_18] prior to suspension

https://archive.li/aTdZR

Still, I don't have much of a clue as to what twitter is talking about.

There is a twitter member @ HW_BEAT_THAT named Fredrick Brennan that has been quite vocal on the topic. According to Wikipedia Fredrick Brennan was the creator of 8chan. I'm not up to speed with 4chan/8chan, nor do I know if @ HW_BEAT_THAT is in fact Fredrick Brennan.

upload_2020-4-24_1-18-1.png

@ HW_BEAT_THAT had posted the below quoted open letter.

Dear Mr. Monster,
Today your company made the decision to ban the domain 9CHAN.US, which in my understanding aimed to revive 8chan, the reviled imageboard website which was used by at least three domestic terrorists in 2019 as the first place they announced their attacks.
I commend this decision.

However, your company continues to host 8chan's original domain, 8CH.NET, which redirects users to 8KUN.TOP, 8chan's new domain.

Your company also continues to host the domains 5CH.NET and BBSPINK.COM, which are the sources of income which keep 8chan online.

You have today made the right decision to not allow this type of website on your registrar. I have it on good authority that you, Mr. Monster, are telling people that you are not allowing any "chan" style website to use your registrar.

If that is so, why does Jim Watkins get a pass? Right now it looks like you are simply cynically banning his competition, instead of doing the right thing.

I believe that you want to do the right thing, as you've made the commendable step to not register 9CHAN.US. I hope that your continued support of Watkins' domains in light of this is a simple oversight. I ask that you suspend 8CH.NET, 5CH.NET and BBSPINK.COM, and stop doing business with Jim Watkins. At the very least, for the sake of consistency, 8CH.NET must be banned.

Kind regards,
Fredrick Brennan

https://archive.li/dZOQw

upload_2020-4-24_1-50-53.png

Lastly, putting the click bait "Dolphin Fucker" aside, there is a VICE article regarding 9chan from April 21st, 2020, titled, "Neo-Nazis Are Spreading a List of Emails and Passwords for Gates Foundation and WHO Employees"

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...swords-for-gates-foundation-and-who-employees

Last edited:
•••
Hey Rob,

Congrats to Epik for winning Best Registrar!

I am not surprised. Love your hustle! Epik is raising the bar and delivering.

Keep up the good work!

•••
Rob is the hardest working guy i know.

2020 best Registrar well-deserved.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Great to see hundreds if not thousands of domains moving to Epik.

Epik has always been solid.

•••
People I really respect are loving Epiks escrow service.

And I hear Epik Name Liquidate is turning drops into cash. Very cool for domainers.

•••
I happened to read a great review by Morgan Linton. I thought Morgan was really honest. GD has been a real letdown.

Im so happy Epik really cares about domain investors and steps up.

Nice to see a reliable registrar like Epik trying to serve the true needs of domain investors.

•••
This was so on point! Kudos Morgan Linton!
Morgan.png

•••
Its mad cos for those in the forum and domain industry at large, Epik and Rob are polarising opinions but I bet 95 percent of Epiks user base have never heard of Rob and simply use Epik because its a great registrar. That's all most people want.

•••
There are some pretty big domain investors that I respect very much speaking very highly of Epik.

Those are the people I listen carefully to. Very successful, smart people.

•••
Lots of positivity in this thread on this sunny afternoon (for me at least). Let's all enjoy a sweet cold lemonade :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back