NameSilo

What's going on with Epik and Rob Monster?

Located in Reviews started by MapleDots, Mar 20, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. JB Lions

JB Lions Top Contributor VIP

Some of us have tried. The first time it started to go off track with religion, conspiracy theory etc. it should have been split off with warnings. This is really a Break Room thread now, has nothing to do with a review anymore. And yes, you'll notice some "influencers" hopping in a lot of threads.

Not sure why this keeps happening.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Rob Monster

Rob Monster CEO, Epik Epik.com Staff PRO Gold Account VIP

Reality check.

This thread got kickstarted again by @TCK when he posted here:

upload_2019-12-21_14-49-47.png

Some folks engaged and here we are.

As for @Samer or @sonatime, they are clients but not otherwise affiliated. The Epik staff are badged. There are a couple of Epik equity investors that are NP members but only 1 is active, and the other is @Braden Pollock who sits on the Epik Board and is rarely seen on NP.

As for the Epik staff who post, I don't script them, edit them or censor them, directly or indirectly. There are some passionate Epik clients. Some of them are unapologetic truthseekers, and some of them are just authentic folks who speak their mind.

As for this thread, if you follow the history of it, you will find that it started as a public beatdown for defying a censorship order from the Prime Minister of New Zealand. It then evolved into an "Ask me Anything" thread and since then has become a mix of stuff.

The main Epik thread is this one:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/discuss-your-epik-experience.1146613/

It was started by Epik client and all around good guy @Bob Hawkes.

Censorship remains a huge issue for domain investors. There are far too many cases of people losing their domains simply because someone decided to take it away or decided to sinkhole it. With the recent rollup of registries by Fadi Chehade, this issue of digital sovereignty is becoming a bigger topic, e.g. here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-fight-for-org-is-it-about-money-or-is-it-about-control.1167444/

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

Just to clarify, unless I am confused, I did not start either of the threads, although posted in them (this one long ago). This one was started by another Canadian @MapleDots. We used to both have a maple leaf icon leading to confusion.

I am indeed a happy Epik client, although should in balance say I am also generally happy with many other registrars I use.

Bob

4. Rob Monster

I stand corrected. It was actually @dande who initiated that thread!

https://www.namepros.com/threads/discuss-your-epik-experience.1146613/

You did have some winners in there like this one:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/discuss-your-epik-experience.1146613/page-4#post-7329902

Thanks for correcting!

5. sonatime

sonatime Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Your post is clear as bell:) I think most of us appreciate experiencing life with least amount of undue influence or coercion of whatever form. But as 20th century proves and last couple of decades that is a wish dream. We live in a time of extreme social reengineering and information and ideologies overload.
    It is nice just to have time to compare notes with some friendly banter.

6. sharfab

sharfab Established Member

This is how we are all supposed to get along in the Name Pros Community. If someone mis-spoke, kindly remind them of their recollection and allow them a chance to make the necessary correction and/or apology. I welcome these type of conversations anytime. :xf.wink:

7. bourbon

bourbon Established Member

Reality check: You're the CEO of a company.

Reality check: You didn't have to take the bait.

Reality check: You didn't have to respond publicly.

Reality check: You could have respectfully declined to engage further or posted a link directing that person to a personal blog or separate off-topic discussion area.

Regardless, you're an adult who likely isn't interested in being lectured and it's the moderators who were meant to feel the brunt of my criticism. I do feel that you could have handled certain things in a more professional manner, but it's also undeniable that lack of sufficient moderation has put you in an awkward position.

None of this is what anyone would or should expect when clicking on a thread in the 'reviews' section of a domain website. @TCK will definitely be getting coal in his stocking this year, and I will be vacating Namepros in search of greener pastures instead of whining about all of the things I don't like.

8. Rob Monster

That is too bad.

As for the mods, they don't mind the drama and frankly this thread is pretty invisible most of the time. Passers-by like you draw attention to it now and then, as if there is some forbidden fruit in it. Possible.

9. sonatime

sonatime Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

ouch, those are some strong words. I'm just a fan of Rob Monster and his presence here on NP. Even if the thread doesn't seem on topic the major themes overlap.
    I don't know Samer and I can't speak for (insert appropriate pronoun here:)) but when you arrive on a forum wanting to fix a popular thread some have been engaging for a long time because it offends your professional sensibilities or doesn't meet your needs there will be resent. Np is a free for all, you can find anything you like or need here or start your own topic.

10. bourbon

bourbon Established Member

My brain craves knowledge and creativity, not drama. If I click on something in a domains forum, I want it to be about domains. Maybe they should add 'We don't mind the drama!' after 'buy. sell. discuss domain names'.

Also, quite a bit of the interaction here simply doesn't register as genuine. There's an underlying desperation and an almost.. role-playing?.. -like aspect to some of the participation that's very strange to observe and disconcerting to be a party to. Probably not explaining in the most articulate way, but generally just not a good fit. #lastpost

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  11. Rob Monster

I just want to share that my faith in public education is slowly being restored. Yes, in spite of the "common core" tragedy that arrived in the US public schools, a social studies teacher is doing a segment on ....

PROPAGANDA

I kid you not:

https://gilpinshs.weebly.com/block-671.html

So my 10th grade daughter is brainstorming topics about how Propaganda was used in WWI. Well, that took about 1 second.

I was blessed with the opportunity to introduce the inquisitive daughter to our dear friend, Edward Bernays, father of modern propaganda.

His old classic is still a must-read.

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2017/01...ganda-1928/edward-bernays-propaganda-1928.pdf

Ordo ab Chao. Indeed.

The Internet remains the great leveling of the playing field for truth -- so thanks for co-creating and thanks for decentralizing.

12. Derek Peterson

Derek Peterson Upgraded Member Gold Account

I had an epik experience. I spent 2 hours telling Rob Monster about my plans for a search engine, which no one outside of my company and family knew, because I thought he sincerely cared and wanted to help. NOPE. Blackpill. He was just pumping me for info so he could go and launch a competing search engine, which he did. Stupid me. So gullible. That is just one reason why I don't trust Rob Monster.

Godaddy never did that to me.

13. NicTraders

NicTraders Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

I guess GoDaddy never had a chance since you didn't tell them about your plans. Sorry, I can't comment on the matter since I wasn't privy to the conversation either.

14. Derek Peterson

You just did comment on the matter. The point is that I would never use epik because rob has desire to do other things than primary biz. imagine the potential problems with having a competitor control your domain name and hosting. It is ridiculous for epik to be so greedy and foolish. What I said is true.

15. Rob Monster

I can say with confidence that Derek is both a liar and a mean-spirited troll with a bizarre tendency to lay claim to the achievements of others when his own are remarkably few and far between. Whatever spirit inspires him to post his nonsense, I bind it in Jesus' name, and invite others so inclined to do the same. The man claims to be a Christian. Dunno.

16. Derek Peterson

WOW! Calling me a liar. Here is a link to your search engine Rob. https://toki.com/ Is that not your website Rob? Did I not spend hours telling you of my plans to build a search engine before you launched your search engine? Here is a link to my search engine. https://gorf.com/ How exactly am i lying. Would you like to take that comment back or should I post some harder evidence of your dishonesty?

Also, you seem to have forgotten to add in credit for the open source guys that you stole your search engine from. You are only one taking credit for others' work. Just like you did with your VPN and DDOS scams.

17. LarryDomain

LarryDomain Top Contributor VIP

@Rob Monster Give us a discount code for the moves!

18. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

yess +1. hope so too

Samer

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  19. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I think it would be smart to get some of those aged domains into their stream with a discount code.

20. Rob Monster

Well, it would be bad form to announce a promo in this thread. As you know, Epik promos are covered in another thread. However, if 30 folks like Larry's post, we'll announce one in the other thread.

21. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

I might want to read the book

Robert Ringer
    "Winning through Intimidation"

22. frank-germany

I'm so glad that you @Rob Monster judge nobody

23. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

Derek has 33 posts, 6 likes, Apr 2019. No clue what your book’s about, unless it’s on shills.

Zero trades —because well, naturally..

this business built credibility? who do u trust
    We all know who you want to believe, Frank..
    at the end of day, to ask, who’s more credible?
    Crazy this is the first time i’m hearing of Derek.
    They want to win through intimidation, all right..

that’s why I root for Team Rob all the way. :)

Samer

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  24. frank-germany

you know nothing.
    but have made your decision

you are welcome

I'm into this business since 2001

I don't trust fast

25. frank-germany

not sure if you think of Google Analytics to be a tracking system
    but for me: I use it as exactly that

upload_2020-2-12_14-59-13.png

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice