IT.COM

What to do now? Pls need urgent help.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Zameer24x7

Established Member
Impact
Domain (StarCrypto.com) sold via Fast Transfer through Afternic DLS Network, for which I did not set the BIN price of $90 at Afternic. In fact yesterday only I bought sedo's paid homepage showcase promotion for 69 euro with make an offer option.

On every marketplace (efty, godaddy, sedo, flippa, uniregistry, undeveloped) its listed with make an offer option.

Please help me, what should i do now? How can I recover my domain?

@Eric Lyon @Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
You can email [email protected] for help but if the domain name sold and moved you would have had to have agreed to sell the domain name by clicking on the opt in email which would also show the buy now price you were listing the domain name for sale at. We do that to call out the price on purpose to make sure that you see it again and if it doesn't look right it will cause you to stop and call in or not authorize the listing.

•••
As I have posted before:

I do have issues with AN Fast Transfer, and AN in general. All my domains are registered at DD. After I set a $25,000. or lower BIN price at AN, then one of three scenarios happens:

1) I received the email stating that I need to click to allow the fast transfer at DD. Actually, I never receive any subsequent email from anyone with a link to click anything, but instead what I do is login to my DD account and click on the relevant domains to "Set afternic" and thereby allow Fast Transfer.
I do so within my DD account, and then it shows as YES over at AN (Active) for Fast-transfer. All is well.

2) I received the email stating that I need to click to allow the fast transfer. I do so within my DD account, and on the DD side it shows that AN Transfer is in place ("Quick Info afternic") but then still it shows as NO (Requires Submission) over at AN for Fast Transfer. I go back and reclick at the DD side - still issue not resolved and still shows as NO over at AN for Fast-transfer.

3) I never receive any email requesting that I allow the fast transfer at DD, and the option is not available on the DD side. Obviously as well, shows as NO over at AN for Fast-transfer.

ALSO:
4) On one occasion so far, I set the BIN price at AN, and then a few months later I logged in and saw that there was no BIN price listed at all at AN, that it had vanished.

5) Another time I got the email from AN "Price Request," logged in soon afterwards, and nowhere in my AN domain control panel was the usual notification that I needed to set a price. I set a price anyway, but it seemed odd that the price request had disappeared.

The Fast Transfer system and AN in general seem buggy.

Last edited:
•••
20170919_233811.png

Screenshot_20170919-202151.png

@Joe Styler - pls check this, it was listed for $17988 USD at afternic. How it got sold for $90?

•••
You can email [email protected] for help but if the domain name sold and moved you would have had to have agreed to sell the domain name by clicking on the opt in email which would also show the buy now price you were listing the domain name for sale at. We do that to call out the price on purpose to make sure that you see it again and if it doesn't look right it will cause you to stop and call in or not authorize the listing.

(Highlight above by me)

Hey, Joe, I received the following opt-in email today (lightly edited):

Dear <name>,

You are receiving this email as a result of the afternic DLS listing process being invoked through an afternic account, on multiple domains. A listing for these domains has been attempted at 09/19/2017.

The domains can be viewed by clicking the link below, and selecting the CSV option. You can then approve or deny the listing.

If you have gone into your afternic account and attempted to list domains on afternic DLS, to give listing permission for these domains please click the link below:

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: By clicking this link you are hereby giving authority for thes domains to be listed, sold and transacted on the afternic DLS network. This is equivalent to a standard transfer FOA (Form of Authority).

<link to be clicked>

If you did not initiate the afternic DLS listing process of the domains on afternic.com, please disregard this email. Please contact us if you have any questions or require further information.

Kind regards,

<Registrar>

Forget the price, even the domain(s) is not listed in the opt-in e-mail. And on clicking the link, there is no mention of the price. So your comment about the opt-in e-mail is not entirely accurate.

OTOH, the e-mail sent by Afternic itself (which is purely an informational e-mail and NOT an opt-in - quoted below) does contain the domain name and the BIN price.

Dear <name>,

Congratulations on choosing the Afternic Premium Network for the promotion of your domain names. Your domains are registered with an eligible Premium Network registrar.

In order to get the domains live on the Premium Network: 1) we need to confirm your domain ownership and 2) you need to accept the Premium Network terms and conditions so that your domains are opted-in to the Premium Network. You will be contacted shortly through email to complete the opt-in process. Click on the link in that email to complete the process for the following domains:

<Domain Name> for <$Billions>

For questions or assistance, please contact our customer service department at
1-866-351-9586 (U.S.) or +1 781-839-7990 (Worldwide).

Sincerely,

The Afternic Team
www.Afternic.com
P: 866.351.9586 or 781.839.7990

•••
Damn I thought I was asking for top dollar with my domains, I have ones better than those I am not asking that much for lol. I might need to raise prices then.

•••
@Joe Styler - as suggested by you, have mark the mail to [email protected] about the incident yesterday and raised support ticket as well, but didn't get any response from AN yet, please look into this issue at the earliest from your end.

•••
Hope it will be fixed. Sorry to hear that @Zameer24x7

•••
They will look into it for you it is a 24-48 hour response time on emails to [email protected].
We did look into the emails and they do send the domain name and price when you opt in. In fact I did a test today and saw it come to my whois email with the name and price. I attached it below. The emails say if you do not want to opt in the domain(s) for sale do not click the authorization email and it has the Afternic help info on the email.

Attachments

• opt in email.png
    opt in email.png
    188.1 KB · Views: 132
•••
I tell you what is strange is that today I got a transfer away request to Godaddy for a domain (all my domains are registered at DynaDot). I login to my Afternic and this domain shows pending sale. The price listed for my buy it now and floor are somewhat high, five figures. Did this domain really sell because no one alerted me to anything, or is this more monkey business at Afternic (AN)?

I got a price request from AN on it, on August 10th, and that is when I set the BIN and floor. No communication from AN since.

I took a screen shot of the domain listed as "pending sale" in my portfolio with the BIN and floor prices correctly listed. (Click below image to see it larger.)

eWBHRWRh.jpg
eWBHRWRh.jpg

I sent a written inquiry in to AN and tried to phone them, but they seem to be closed, so I left a voicemail.

Do domains sell at Afternic without your even being alerted to that they sold? You just get a transfer request? The last times that my domains sold at AN I received a "Congrats _____.com has sold" for the ones listed for fast transfer, or a "______.com has sold" for the ones that were not fast transfer listed, and also sometimes communications from AN brokers.

For this one, today, I have received no notification of sale from AN, no communication whatsoever from AN other than the price request on August 10th. This particular domain is not listed for fast transfer.

I'd love to think that it has sold for my asking price but I am not going to click to "transfer away" to GoDaddy just like that without AN confirmation of sale.

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler can you tell me why when I get a "Afternic listing request" it never shows my account number or anything that confirms the listing request is from me and not from someone else's account? I'll get an email months later and have no idea if the request is from me or someone else.

•••
*Update. Okay I got hold of Jessica in the AN escrow department the domain did sell for the full BIN price (wow), but funds are pending verification (paid by credit card apparently). She told me not to transfer it away yet until I receive verification.

Still I think this is not the way to do things, I should have received a notification of sale, pending funds, something FIRST not just a transfer away order. And why am I receiving a transfer away order ANYway if the funds are still pending? Jessica said something about how the sale must have included a domain transfer with it, but still - whatever, that's not the way to do things, sending me a transfer away request before the sale is final and with no notification of the sale.

It makes me wonder if it would have just fast transferred away even with funds pending if it had been listed for fast transfer.

I wonder who bought it? I threw a pretty high price out there for what I consider to be a very valuable domain but still whenever it sells for the BIN you start wondering if you made the price too low.:xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
I tell you what is strange is that today I got a transfer away request to Godaddy for a domain (all my domains are registered at DynaDot). I login to my Afternic and this domain shows pending sale. The price listed for my buy it now and floor are somewhat high, five figures. Did this domain really sell because no one alerted me to anything, or is this more monkey business at Afternic (AN)?

I got a price request from AN on it, on August 10th, and that is when I set the BIN and floor. No communication from AN since.

I took a screen shot of the domain listed as "pending sale" in my portfolio with the BIN and floor prices correctly listed. (Click below image to see it larger.)

eWBHRWRh.jpg
eWBHRWRh.jpg

I sent a written inquiry in to AN and tried to phone them, but they seem to be closed, so I left a voicemail.

Do domains sell at Afternic without your even being alerted to that they sold? You just get a transfer request? The last times that my domains sold at AN I received a "Congrats _____.com has sold" for the ones listed for fast transfer, or a "______.com has sold" for the ones that were not fast transfer listed, and also sometimes communications from AN brokers.

For this one, today, I have received no notification of sale from AN, no communication whatsoever from AN other than the price request on August 10th. This particular domain is not listed for fast transfer.

I'd love to think that it has sold for my asking price but I am not going to click to "transfer away" to GoDaddy just like that without AN confirmation of sale.

I experienced the same behavior. On a little testing, I realized that if someone adds the domain to their cart (I tried with GD but I expect it should work similarly for other registrars as well), the domain goes into the pending sale status on Afternic. Once the cart expires or the domain is deleted from the cart, the domain will go back to the listed status.

Not sure about the transfer e-mail though. That is not what I encountered

•••
Well as I noted, I did phone AN and this domain is actually pending sale and payment was made (apparently via credit card) but is pending verification of funds. I called AN again just now and spoke to Jessica again and she said money was actually paid, this is a real sale don't worry.

As far as the transfer away order, AN says this is because the purchase included a transfer so again this is not an instance of simply being loaded into a cart, someone has actually made a payment for this domain it has been sold.

But I don't count on anything until after it is verifiably final. Still I can't see anyone screwing around over such a large credit card payment. In order to reach pending status the credit card must be authorized so anyone with five figures available credit on his credit card is a real contender, not to mention AVS which must pass as well. The payment might also have been made another way and is pending verification. But payment was made.

This was a very good domain name.

Last edited:
•••
(Highlight above by me)

Hey, Joe, I received the following opt-in email today (lightly edited):

Forget the price, even the domain(s) is not listed in the opt-in e-mail. And on clicking the link, there is no mention of the price. So your comment about the opt-in e-mail is not entirely accurate.

OTOH, the e-mail sent by Afternic itself (which is purely an informational e-mail and NOT an opt-in - quoted below) does contain the domain name and the BIN price.

You're talking about something different though. You're talking just about the initial confirmation to list a domain for sale at AN, not a fast transfer confirmation situation.

In my AN account, the AN account registered email address is the same as my WhoIs address for my domains, so I never receive such "Afternic listing request" confirmation emails, because verification is made by matching the email address.

But anyway, yes I agree that AN has issues. Imprecision, at best. Still, I've received LOTS of money from AN sales this year, so I'm not complaining in that respect.

Last edited:
•••
You're talking about something different though. You're talking just about the initial confirmation to list a domain for sale at AN, not a fast transfer confirmation situation.

The first e-mail was for Fast Transfer (the domain is at NS).

•••
If it is a bigger sale we verify the payment is good (the money will clear) before finalizing the sale and informing the seller the name is sold. If you contact Afternic Support they can tell you what is happening with the specific domain. If you look in the dashboard and it shows pending sale but you were not notified that is what is happening. We are verifying the sale is good.

•••
I received a bit ago a hand written email from AN telling me this yes, that sale is real, funds are being verified, etc. This was in response to my query. Anyway, all is well, but getting that transfer request without any other notification was unsettling. And if I had not phoned or messaged AN I would be in the dark here. Or what if I had clicked to transfer the domain? not realizing it was a pending and not final sale.

anantj I looked at both of your emails, I agree now the second one is a fast transfer and the price is right there so what is the problem? The first is merely an opt in confirmation that you listed the domain with AN, and the price would not be in that email. Two different types of AN emails with different purposes, right? Aren't these instances of where AN got it right, versus wrong?

Last edited:
•••
If it is a bigger sale we verify the payment is good (the money will clear) before finalizing the sale and informing the seller the name is sold. If you contact Afternic Support they can tell you what is happening with the specific domain. If you look in the dashboard and it shows pending sale but you were not notified that is what is happening. We are verifying the sale is good.

Okay. I had one of my domains showing as "Pending Sale". The BIN price was between $100 and $200, so not a big sale. And then after about half a day or so, it went back to showing as listed. Can you tell me what happened here so that I understand the situation better?

Thanks

•••
Well obviously in this instance anantj you'd need to contact AN directly and ask them, referring to the specific transaction.

In my case they told me that the funds paid would be verified for the pending sale in three days, which I assume means Tuesday since nothing happens on Sat/Sun US banking wise.

•••
Okay. I had one of my domains showing as "Pending Sale". The BIN price was between $100 and $200, so not a big sale. And then after about half a day or so, it went back to showing as listed. Can you tell me what happened here so that I understand the situation better?

Thanks
Someone put it into the cart at a partner registrar (so one of the over 100 places your domain is listed) the name gets put on hold when that happens. They did not complete the sale - checkout with payment only loaded it into the cart. The cart hold times out if that happens and the name is placed back for sale.

•••
One thing I wonder about is why AN takes so long to "verify" a payment. There are websites online that ship a six figure item to your door after a credit card payment based on an instant decision whereby the item is being shipped several hours after your payment. I know this from personal experience.

If a diamond, jewelry or watch company may ship something that expensive so quickly after a credit card payment, why does AN take so long?

And it's not just AN. I had an escrow.com where the buyer payment was held up several days too.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not sure I am not in that business. We try and balance speed with risk and do what we can to make sure everyone is safe on our platform. We are dealing with many companies, over 100 different companies make up our reseller network, located all over the world, with different laws and payment types, bank rules etc.

•••
Something is definitely broken. I now have exactly the opposite problem - cannot have a domain be _enabled_ for fast transfer, even though I positively responded to auth email from current registrar. Why? Likely because I had this domain afternic-listed as being regged with another registrar at some point of time, but subsequently performed a registrar transfer and deleted - readded the domain from-to my afternic account. The domain currently does not have any sort of 60 days or other locks. Afternic system - even though in fact has appropriate authorization - simply would not enable fast transfer now. Service@ email was of little help, they reset something but it never worked.
Proof for @Joe Styler : ticket _00DG0i0kS._5001L15wxkH :(
Maybe its time to re-write the whole backend code to have such mystical issues like fast transfer happening while they should not - or not even be configured when they should - be finally resolved?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back