IT.COM

strategy What Strategy Do You Use For Setting Minimum Offer?

NameSilo
Watch

What strategy do you use in setting the minimum offer amount?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • I use the minimum offer amount the system allows

votes
    25.9%
  • I set all my domain names with the same minimum offer amounts

votes
    23.1%
  • I use a more or less fixed ratio of the buy-it-now price, higher price, higher minimum offer

votes
    40.8%
  • I set the minimum offer to nearly the full buy-it-now price for that name

votes
    10.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
Probably some domain investors set minimum offer amounts to a constant value, while others set them as a ratio of the buy-it-now price. What strategy do you use in setting the minimum offer price?

This is part of a NamePros community series of polls around the topic of setting minimum offer amounts. Please make sure to read the central article here, and vote in that poll, as well as all the linked ones.

Thanks for sharing your strategy. I will summarize the results from all the polls and comments in a later NamePros Blog article.

Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I'm now switching my strategy after reading your posts.

You reminded me just how important having a good strategy is so I'm now going to use a calculated ratio of the BIN.

I was using a set minimum but not going forward.

•••
I don't set minimum offers.

•••
Same as BIN. (That means that when a weak minded broker checks the minimum requirement, they will be forced to inform the buyer that the price seems to be, well, the price, and that this seller prices to sell, but does not negotiate. This is actually a pretty good sales argument. Nothing points at defaulting to discounts making any difference, I'd wager the contrary, both for sell through and bottom line. Thing is that if you are too eager, the buyer becomes uneasy).

Edit: You need fair prices set though across your entire portfolio to be able to defend that strategy and proudly deflect.

Last edited:
•••
personally i dont use make offer at all. buy it now with reasonable pricing and an instalment plan seems to do the trick. Of course you wont be getting any investors looking to buy at end user pricing but overall the margin you make on each sale goes up significantly. Also, remember to be patient.

•••
I want to catch the Buyer, so I fix $ 20 as Minimum Offer, even if the domain name is $ 1000.

•••
I use But It Now (BIN) on all my listed domains and usually set Minimum Offer to about 60% of the BIN.

I have read some other opinions on NP that suggest that not having a Min Offer can actually lead to more (and higher) initial offers.

I have not tried removing Min Offers yet, though, so I cannot comment on that yet.

•••
On DAN, I'm using BIN prices for all domains. Only for domains priced over 2,500 GBP I'm also using a Starting Offer amount of 88% of the BIN price. For domains below 2,500 GBP, I completely disable making offers by entering the same amount for both BIN and Starting Offer. DAN then hides the "Make an offer" option for the domain.

On Sedo, I'm using BIN prices for all domains, and an account wide setting for the minimum offer price. Setting: "I want to accept offers on my Buy Now listings.", "Apply only to Buy Now listings in the following price range: 900-no max", and "Offer = 90% of BIN price".

On Afternic, I'm using BIN prices for all domains, and the default $20 minimum offer price for all of them. For domains with a BIN over USD 2,500, I've also entered a hidden Floor price of 90%, which is invisible to potential buyers.

Nameservers are pointing to the DAN platform.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, Future Sensors.

One question. I am new to Afternic. Just listed my domains there last week for the first time ever.

What is the point of the $20 default minimum offer and why do you leave it at $20? Especially if/when your Floor is a lot higher.

I don't really get that setting???

•••
Hi gericsb,

Good question. The floor price is the lowest acceptable sales price Afternic's sales executives can negotiate without seeking my approval. This price is not viewable to buyers. Visitors will still be able to place bids with a minimum amount of the default $20, and sometimes this is a way of opening a conversation or deal.

However, on DAN, where the nameservers of all my domains are pointing to, I'm using other settings, as described earlier. Including "buy in installments" options with a maximum of 10-12 months.

Last edited:
•••
Ohhh!!

Thank you! I get it now. I can kind of see the appeal now of the Minimum Offer.

May be a good way to gauge interest in our domains without being committed to taking an offer well below what we want.

I understand the Floor now better, too.

Thank you!

•••
On Sedo, I'm using BIN prices for all domains, and an account wide setting for the minimum offer price. Setting: "I want to accept offers on my Buy Now listings.", "Apply only to Buy Now listings in the following price range: 900-no max", and "Offer = 90% of BIN price".
(y) This should be Sedo's "Buy Now or Best Offer" option

•••
Back