IT.COM

What should I buy? VPS or Something else?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

themaster

Master of the WebEstablished Member
Impact
I have a website that gets daily 25k unique visitors. Now it is at a shared hosting service but sometimes they suspend my site because of high cpu usage. They said to me my site use 15% of the server cpu..

It is php+mysql based.

Now I m thinking to move my website to VPS. When I look to vps plans I see 128, 256, 512mb ram etc. Which will be enough for this site?

Any advice will be appreciated..

Thanks ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Surely you'd should be able to afford a dedicated server for that many visitors. A VPS will likely not suit your needs either, but if you must, 512MB would be recommended as a start. I'm surprised it only used 15% cpu, such sites tend to crash dual-core shared/reseller servers.

•••
Oh so you suggest to me a dedicated server? Any idea about minimum requirements of that? I m very newbie at this point. I dont even know what the ram should be etc :S I have another website on another shared hosting that gets 8k daily unique. I may transfer this too on that server..

And yes I m sure that they said to me your site uses %15 of the cpu resources. It is not a big portal that includes forums etc.

•••
try uk2 ... 1gb of memory for a vps... they are good and fast servers

•••
You definately need a dedicated for that type of traffic. IF you aren't monetized yet, you shoulf deinately start now as that kind of traffic should either be resold to someone else, or if you wish to keep it, you should be tossing ads at them to make money.

I use a dedicated server for 70 a month, I would think what you need would be about 100+ a month to start with. Probably around $125.

IF you need help monetizing, let me know, I would be interested to see what you are doing.

•••
What control panel would you like to install? Generally hosting services install only virtuozzo on vps and you have to pay for cpanel.
I advice you to take a vps and install your own control panel like directadmin (not expensive) or vhcs (free). It's easy.

Bye ;)

•••
I guess VPS will be definitely a step to freedom, if Cpanel will be your choice, then you will need at least 512MB of RAM. You may check url=http://www.vpslink.com/] VPSlink.com [/url] and ServerPoint.com vps deals. Directadmin will work on anything lower than 512MB.

•••
I'd recommend going above 512MB and looking in the 760MB or 1024MB range. That's a lot of visitors on a heavily php/mysql website.

•••
Thanks you so much for your advice. I will look for 512++ mb ram.

I want to install cpanel. Because I m familiar with it..
If I use directadmin, will that help to lower cpu load? Or what about plesk?

•••
DirectAdmin is typically the best out of all of the control panels when it comes to reducing memory usage. It has the overall lightest footprint. Of course, it also depends upon server administration ability as to how well any VPS or server runs.

•••
themaster said:
Thanks you so much for your advice. I will look for 512++ mb ram.

I want to install cpanel. Because I m familiar with it..
If I use directadmin, will that help to lower cpu load? Or what about plesk?

I don't advice you to use plesk for cpu. I prefer directadmin, vhcs and cpanel and their cpu loads are about the same.

Bye ;)

•••

I m interested in 2 vps plan.. Do you think that one of these plans is suitable for my sites?

VPS1 - $60
Guaranteed Resources: 768MB RAM (burstable to 2G), 40GB Disk Storage, 550GB Bandwidth / mo, UNMETERED PRIVATE NETWORK BANDWIDTH, 2 Public IP's, 1 Private IP, 1 VPN user. + cPanel + managing

VPS2 - $70
Guaranteed Resources: 1024MB RAM (burstable to 2G), 50GB Disk Storage, 650GB Bandwidth / mo, UNMETERED PRIVATE NETWORK BANDWIDTH, 2 Public IP's, 1 Private IP, 1 + cPanel + managing

•••
For VPS - Directadmin
According to professionals, it uses less RAM.

As for cPanel, make sure its over 512mb RAM...

VPS2 seems to be a better deal though.

•••
Personally, I would go with Semi-dedicated. If you like the feel of shared, and are comfortable on how shared works, I would do that instead of a VPS. Basically, the only difference between shared and semi-dedicated is that you get a lot bigger share of the CPU "pie". Both semi-dedicated and VPS have advantages and disadvantages.

•••
themaster said:

I m interested in 2 vps plan.. Do you think that one of these plans is suitable for my sites?

VPS1 - $60
Guaranteed Resources: 768MB RAM (burstable to 2G), 40GB Disk Storage, 550GB Bandwidth / mo, UNMETERED PRIVATE NETWORK BANDWIDTH, 2 Public IP's, 1 Private IP, 1 VPN user. + cPanel + managing

VPS2 - $70
Guaranteed Resources: 1024MB RAM (burstable to 2G), 50GB Disk Storage, 650GB Bandwidth / mo, UNMETERED PRIVATE NETWORK BANDWIDTH, 2 Public IP's, 1 Private IP, 1 + cPanel + managing

Plans look absolutely ok, just why do you need two VPS plans to host two sites? Can you get a bigger just to manage both sites?

Just to compare the features of your plan look at the plans of other VPS hosting providers Asmallorange.com , Serverpoint.com .

Last edited:
•••
UH-Bobby said:
Personally, I would go with Semi-dedicated. If you like the feel of shared, and are comfortable on how shared works, I would do that instead of a VPS. Basically, the only difference between shared and semi-dedicated is that you get a lot bigger share of the CPU "pie". Both semi-dedicated and VPS have advantages and disadvantages.

I think that semi-dedicated are too expensive but I see that these vps prices is too expensive too :)
I have 1 vps and 1 dedicated (low prices) but this service is only for italian :(

Bye ;)

•••
Maurizio1230 said:
I think that semi-dedicated are too expensive but I see that these vps prices is too expensive too :)
I have 1 vps and 1 dedicated (low prices) but this service is only for italian :(

Bye ;)

The price for a semi-dedicated plan completely depends on the number of accounts on the server, there may be 4 users per server like in isprime.com offers , then the cost is really high $165.00.
a2hosting.com offers plans with 10-20 users on the server, and they charge from $99.55 for this.
webhostingbuzz.com privide semi-dedicated with about 40 users on a server, and the price is considerably lower,
I guess if dedicated plans are often equal or exceed VPS, the advantages they give are:
1. Very few sites per server allow for quick loading, even with resource intensive sites
2. Fewer sites on the server means fewer chances for downtime due to hacked sites
3. Every site has full access to all server resources as needed
4. Same ease-of-use as shared hosting

•••
•••
Affordable VPS hosting option is Vpsland.com, I also like Serverpoint.com plans and their general hosting rep.

•••
Has anyone tried the WHB semidedicated plan?

Thanks.

•••
hupadupa said:
The price for a semi-dedicated plan completely depends on the number of accounts on the server, there may be 4 users per server like in isprime.com offers , then the cost is really high $165.00.
a2hosting.com offers plans with 10-20 users on the server, and they charge from $99.55 for this.
webhostingbuzz.com privide semi-dedicated with about 40 users on a server, and the price is considerably lower,
I guess if dedicated plans are often equal or exceed VPS, the advantages they give are:
1. Very few sites per server allow for quick loading, even with resource intensive sites
2. Fewer sites on the server means fewer chances for downtime due to hacked sites
3. Every site has full access to all server resources as needed
4. Same ease-of-use as shared hosting

what do you mean with users?
Because user has two function on dedicated or vps server: linux user (for root ssh access) or cpanel/directadmin.. user.
But, generally, on a dedicated server you have ssh access and you can install all softwares you want (your personal control panel, your mysql server, php, postgreSQL, BIND DNS server and much more)
In fact on my server I host more than 50 domains :)

Bye ;)

P.S. If you don't have ssh root access you can't name it dedicated server.

•••
P.S. If you don't have ssh root access you can't name it dedicated server.
I believe dedicated server have little bit another definition ;)

•••
hupadupa said:
...the price is considerably lower,
I guess if dedicated plans are often equal or exceed VPS,
I guess you meant semi-dedicated :)

I see your point here, however don't forget that you don't have full root access on a semi-dedicated plan, while VPS offers you this.
It's interesting that very often choosing between VPS or semi-dedicated plans to offer to their clients, a host goes for semi-dedicated, taking into consiideration control panel license, management time etc.
So, whenever a host is able to offer both semi-dedi and VPS, it's cool. That's the case with a2hosting.com, they have launched the new VPS line.

•••
are you stll looking for vps? i can give you a good offer if you pay 3 months.. for $18 per month.. 512mb of ram and 40gb of space..

•••
VPS for 512 may/may not be enoughe especially if you're getting more subscribers..

but it'll be way better than your shared hosting setup right now.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back