Dynadot

What registrars do you want to see compared?

NameSilo
Watch

Christian Taylor

Established Member
Impact
Alright guys,

I'm wanting to make a YouTube video on my channel to compare 5 domain registrars. I know there are so many out there, but what are the main ones you guys think I should cover?

I was thinking..
  • GoDaddy
  • Network Solutions
  • Namecheap
  • NameSilo
  • Uniregistry
What registrars do you want to see compared?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Was thinking based off of options. For example, Dynadot seems to offer more options on their WHOIS protection for how the email forwarding works, but Namecheap has a unique feature of changing the email once a week, so if it gets on a spam list, it will only be valid for a week.

Hmm, could be hard to rate which is better. For example, one registrar may change the email every X days (because they have weak spam protection), whereas another registrar may simply have better spam protection in place or they may allow you to choose what happens to the email...in essence balancing each other out.

•••
Hmm, could be hard to rate which is better. For example, one registrar may change the email every X days (because they have weak spam protection), whereas another registrar may simply have better spam protection in place or they may allow you to choose what happens to the email...in essence balancing each other out.

You make a good point! Maybe that category might need to be eliminated.

•••
Was thinking based off of options. For example, Dynadot seems to offer more options on their WHOIS protection for how the email forwarding works, but Namecheap has a unique feature of changing the email once a week, so if it gets on a spam list, it will only be valid for a week.

Along those lines - how easy/difficult is it to get into your privacy account at the registrar. I remember how frustrating GoDaddy privacy was from an administrative standpoint! Its better now but man, 10 years ago or more - horrible!

If you structure this much like Consumer Reports does when they evaluate (say, Washer Machines for example) then I think you'll have a winner. If you can keep it updated regularly then you're providing a very nice service all in one place.

•••
WHOIS Privacy wise, I'd compare security of my title to the domain. The terms of the agreement the registrar has you agree to, when ordering this add-on. Lawyer stuff.

•••
I plan to have "awards" for certain categories. Was thinking:

Best WHOIS protection
Best value (price)
Best panel (taking in to account graphics, features, functionality, and if there's a mobile option)
Best overall (which would be what I feel is an even combination of all 3 categories)

Forgive me if I missed this in the thread but customer service/problem resolution is a biggie for me. One of the reasons I have dropped some registrars in favor for others is the quality (not necessarily how fast I interact with someone) of the problem solving and to what degree it is adequate.

•••
Forgive me if I missed this in the thread but customer service/problem resolution is a biggie for me. One of the reasons I have dropped some registrars in favor for others is the quality (not necessarily how fast I interact with someone) of the problem solving and to what degree it is adequate.

Yes! This is something that I meant to put, and I totally forgot.

•••
•••
Am I allowed to post a link to the video/article here? I don't want to break the rules and get myself banned :xf.grin:

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
You can for sure. Problem is, sigs are not visible on mobile :xf.frown:

Guys.. I have the ability with my account to post links to a thread. I just don't want to get in trouble for posting it (I'm not sure what the policy is here). Some forums are picky and think you are trying to "steal" their members if you post links.

•••
Am I allowed to post a link to the video/article here? I don't want to break the rules and get myself banned :xf.grin:
For self-promotional items, you can:

• Use your signature area, which is specifically for members to advertise their own products/services/etc.
  • You can list your promotion in the for sale / advertising board

I hope that helps,

•••
•••
Links have been added in my signature!

Guys, please be easy on me! Remember, the goal of this video was to give some basic direction to beginners. I know I didn't go into WHOIS privacy, as I thought that might be getting into too much. I still have all of my domains at each of these registrars, so if you have a more advanced question for a specific featured registrar, shoot it at me here and I'll be happy to answer.

•••
Links have been added in my signature!

Guys, please be easy on me! Remember, the goal of this video was to give some basic direction to beginners. I know I didn't go into WHOIS privacy, as I thought that might be getting into too much. I still have all of my domains at each of these registrars, so if you have a more advanced question for a specific featured registrar, shoot it at me here and I'll be happy to answer.

I read the article. Not bad overall. Although I will say I feel you were a little unfair to GoDaddy. You didn't mention anything about their domain discount club...which brings down the price of a domain a lot and is used by many domainers. And while I agree their checkout does try to upsell, it's relatively simple to just click continue and not add anything to your cart.

•••
I read the article. Not bad overall. Although I will say I feel you were a little unfair to GoDaddy. You didn't mention anything about their domain discount club...which brings down the price of a domain a lot and is used by many domainers. And while I agree their checkout does try to upsell, it's relatively simple to just click continue and not add anything to your cart.

Thank you! I will definitely further research their Discount Domain Club and be sure to include a section in the article :xf.grin:

I can't change the video after the fact, or I would, so it'll have to be an article exclusive section.

•••
Hi Cristian. Nice job on the video. I wish you liked our panel a bit better, but a redesign is already in the works. Thanks for the shout out to our CS team!

•••
I read all three pages of the thread and saw no one mentioned Domain.com . Many members here use them specially when they are running promos through their network of companies like Dotster, Netfirms, and MyDomain. It is good to give them a chance for comparison as many of us here benefited from their promos.:)

Just my opinion, I am not affiliated with them . Oh, Almost forgot, FastHosts too even if they are reseller of Tucows, they recently came on the scene here and they seem to have decent services.

•••
Hi Cristian. Nice job on the video. I wish you liked our panel a bit better, but a redesign is already in the works. Thanks for the shout out to our CS team!

You're welcome! If you shoot me a DM when your new panel is ready, I will absolutely try Dynadot again and re-evaluate your service :xf.smile:

•••
•••
•••
@Christian Taylor Great video. Kinda surprised @namesilo NameSilo didnt win the support service feature. Having used Namesilo for few years now, I can say their email support is second to none. There are times I thought it was unreal when I got replies less than 5 mins etc.

•••
@Christian Taylor Great video. Kinda surprised @namesilo NameSilo didnt win the support service feature. Having used Namesilo for few years now, I can say their email support is second to none. There are times I thought it was unreal when I got replies less than 5 mins etc.

I couldn't agree with you more even right at 0930 when they open (haha guilty sorry). Honestly suprised @namesilo wasnt the overall favorite.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back