Dynadot

Namecheap vs. Dynadot

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Namecheap or Dynadot?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Namecheap

• Dynadot

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Christian Taylor

Established Member
Impact
I just did a video on my YouTube channel comparing 7 different domain registrars. The two registrars that stood out in my comparison were Namecheap and Dynadot. Namecheap is where I personally keep all of my domain names. I like their panel, app, customer service, and email hosting. I haven't come across another company to offer solid email hosting for $10/yr as they do, and I like having everything in one place.

With that being said, Dynadot has some killer support, their prices are way lower, and they have a pretty cool app too. It doesn't seem quite as polished as Namecheap in my opinion, but the price difference has really got my thinking about this...

I know I'm starting a war here, but which registrar out of the two do you think is better, and why?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
thanks for the heads up. I ended up buying new domains with dyna.....I'm enjoying the difference already.

•••
@Christian Taylor
I prefer Dynadot still, at least for the moment. (In the past there didn't exist aftermarketauction, and I found that better, but now it exists). And the view of their site is quite readable. And that can't be said of lot's of registrars. Some recent changes made it again a bit more difficult.

AND I agree for Porkbun, (they have as surplus for giving also free SSL!!! - none of the others do !!!), and Dynadot.and Namecheap are for some extentions very cheap. (their promotions I mean). All 3.
Why is Namesilo interesting : Something else then cheap only : If you have 1 hour left before transferring away, because your domain goes in redemption in an hour or whatever, you can TRANSFER TO Namesilo VERY QUICKLY !!! It all can be done in 1 hour (you have to approve of course the transfer-emails) !!!

Positive thing for Dynadot and Namecheap and Porkbun : you have a lot of promotions. (certainly subscribe to their newsletter !).
Negative thing about Namesilo : after expiration you can't transfer out a domain, you have to renew there and can't transfer away then. They may be cheap, but 1 thing : you can only use a coupon once. No matter hat coupon I try I never get discounts anymore.
1 less positive thing about Dynadot : They change rules sometimes (especially about auctions and transferring out after expiration without informing the customer before.) => now you have to send again a special request to them to ask in email if they want to put some domains in a status that they can be transferred out) (their renewalpossibility after exiration : They changed suddenly, regardless if your domain is bidded on or not : from day 30 on you have to pay 10 USD extra renewal fee.(till day 39 after expiration).
Ended auctions without bidder at the end (day 37 after expiration or so) : In the past you could ask them per email to place still a bid and put enough on your balance so they could pay with your money for such a domain. This is not the case anymore. (and for a while some months go when that was possible, you had to pay auctionpricing + 5 extra USD ; well not anymore as they don't allow any requests for domains that didn't got bids anymore).
And for a long time there was the fact that selling a domain, gives only money on your balance and not payed to your Paypal or so. But as far as I've read somewhere this last thing would have changed.(not sure though I have not investigate all the info that's published about it).
Other positive thing for Dynadot : There are a lot, (the interface ; lists you can see, etc..) but I'm glad to see they also since 2 months give in the sales for some domains discount on renewals (not very much extentions though)..

Negative point for all 3 of them : They didn't find a good solution to the GDPR in Europe. You can take printscreens with your address per domainname, if you are clever. But anybody who looks to whois only sees mostly country and state or province. Not even an emailadddresss is mentioned in the whois. (except If it's an organisation where you can give info about organisation in whois I presume). (dot-tv seems the exception).
They don't send messages or emails through to your email to you from interested parties, if somebody asks for instance to send the (hidden) owner from a specific name with a shady whois from a European citizen, an email or a message and ask to forward that to the owner, this doesn' happen. (If this would be possible this would be very ineresting for endusers but also domainers : now these don't know why they don't see information -emailaddress and phonenumber and address of the European owner of a domainname, and also they don't send through messages if you choose privacy, so you also can't send via a link a mail that's forwarded to an owner who has privacy "abled", ).

Godaddy partiallly has found a solution to that but you have to know the trick (and very very few know about that already) : If you search the owner of a domain in Godaddy that's registerred at Godaddy : You can use their OWN whois.godaddy.com-search and when you see the result with only country and only state or province, you scroll DOWN and you find a link, called "send message to the owner". If you click on that you can send a message that arrives in the owners' emailaddress.
But of course : you have to know that : I know because I especially asked if they had a solution for the GDPR. (I would prefer that they simply send through all emails to the owner, with hidden whois due to GDPR (or if you've chosen 'privacy') whatever the question is. And I would prefer that in every whois-search there would come a link (on TOP of the domains, at all whoissearches no mattter where (what registrar) you consult the whois from.

With godaddy overall): sometimes interesting, because they're the biggest and sometimes if you buy a domain from someone, you only have the possibility to work with them.
A lot has changed over the years. And recently there were or are the problems with FREE PUSHES to another account.
As to pricing : Also sometimes have interesting promotions (not always anounced : look in the section on the forum with couponcodes). For renewals: no couponcodes work anymore => You have to pay membership to GDD-discountclub. But there exists a code to get the pricing of this membership down. For esp. renewals (and also some registrations) GDD-DISCOUNTCLUB, otherwise you pay too much and high pricing.

END-NOTE
The above is only some things positive and negative about the mentioned registrars.
But to tell everything, would lead too far.

(For instance there is also the possibility or non possibility of grace-deletions, and if they aks money for it or not).

Last edited:
•••
I like dynadot more than Namecheap, they give you cheaper .com and better domain marketplace

•••
Dynadot - lower price, better support and simple panel.

I dont agree with you. Namecheap has better support than Dynadot. You can chat with Nc team when you want and you can resolve your all problems. But Dynadot is better than transfering out your domains. You can transfer out your domains in 2-3 hours. You cant transfer out your domains if you use namecheap. You need to wait 7 days for transfer out.

•••
I will no doubt support DY in the past few months, but it is different now (no .com price discount), I should transfer between the two in the future.

•••
didn't use any of them but heard that namecheap is quite good for domains. didn't hear anything about dynadot actually.

•••
didn't use any of them but heard that namecheap is quite good for domains. didn't hear anything about dynadot actually.
If you use NP often, you will see their ads.

•••
neither Namesilo.... no questions asked.

My thought exactly....FWIW namecheap's interface sucks for doing any bulk changes. It's fine if you do one domain at a time....yikes!

And while Dynadot is cheap there support is almost as bad as GD in my experience, I've literally talked to two support reps about an issue and got three answers...🥴 the second one told me one thing than when I told them what the previous one said, they changed their answer to something else entirely...

Namesilo (so far) has been great. Support knows what they are talking about. Pricing is good. Free WHOIS privacy (NC has, Dynadot only does for the first year).

•••
DynaDot & NameSilo are better than NameCheap for the following reasons:
Relevant Features: Private Whois, CatchAll, Subdomains, URL WildCard Forwarding, Bulk Domain Edit & DNS records management, all in one place, for just 8.99$/year

PorkBun (almost same price 8.56$) and it does not allow CatchAll & WildCardForwarding.

NameCheap charges (12.99$/year), which means 4$ more per domain each year (so 196 USD extra per every 49 domains)... and offering the same free features... It does not make sense!

Name.com does not allow CatchAll & WildCardForwarding.

CloudFlare: no bulk domain edition, no domain registry, no catchall

domains.google: 12$/year, so almost as expensive as NameCheap

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back