Dynadot

What registrars do you want to see compared?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Christian Taylor

Established Member
Impact
Alright guys,

I'm wanting to make a YouTube video on my channel to compare 5 domain registrars. I know there are so many out there, but what are the main ones you guys think I should cover?

I was thinking..
  • GoDaddy
  • Network Solutions
  • Namecheap
  • NameSilo
  • Uniregistry
What registrars do you want to see compared?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe switch Name.com for Dynadot? (n)

Haha. Let's do a poll, shall we?

All in favor of Dynadot, reply "Dynadot!"

All in favor of Name.com, reply "Name.com!"

Nevermind!

After taking a look, no one actually ever recommended Name.com, and 3 people mentioned Dynadot. Dynadot it is!

Last edited:
•••
Well,

I'm starting my adventures of comparing and I've already had it with GoDaddy! Buying cheap $1 domains at each of the registrars.. including GoDaddy. Auto renew is set on and when I disable it it says it failed and I need to contact support. Exactly what I expected. It's basically pure crap to deal with, but I am doing it for the sake of the comparison! They try to upsell you so much, it's not even funny.
https://gyazo.com/b58a6f49fbc92a178cb653887ed3e449

•••
Final update:

Domains have been secured at each registrar.

Here are the ones I bought today:

christiantaylordrums.com
thedrumming.space
finda.gdn (Find A Great/Good Domain Name)
searchengineresults.top
caniplease.win

Any of these worth anything for selling?

•••
You might want to include one registrar that uses a very popular, third party panel (can't recall the panel name - someone help me here...) - like AlpNames or BigRock.com...
Remembered the name of that third party control panel used by Alpnames and others: LogicBoxes
...Any of these worth anything for selling?
Not that I can see (n)

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
The video wasn't targeted at this site. I make YouTube videos related to technology and am wanting to make a video to "break it down" for noobs. I.e. someone is buying a domain for the first time and wonders "where should I buy it? What is best?"

I keep saying this, but I think it is important to differentiate between buying a name, and registering a name. This is especially true for new domainers. If you are looking for your first name, then registering, pushing or transferring may affect your choice of registrar.

•••
I think it is important to differentiate between buying a name, and registering a name.

Not totally sure what you mean. Do you mean buying as in purchasing an existing domain from someone, and registering as in buying a totally new domain?

•••
I don't see the point of this.

There are many polls, discussions and threads about this right here at NP.

•••
•••
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=where+should+i+buy+a+domain this is the point. I am a YouTuber. Look at that search and tell me: do you see a clean, simple, elegant video that walks through some popular registrars and explains the pros and cons of each one?

Might be good for a lazy newbie who doesn't want to find this info here at NP.

Any seasoned domainer will have already tried most of the registrars that matter and will already know this info. :xf.smile:

•••

Yes, and that's exactly what my target is! Someone who likes to watch YouTube and may run into it via recommended video or feed. I also have some people on my social media who might be interested. I get asked a lot "how do I get a website? what do I need?" I say a domain, and they say "where do I get it?" Now, I can just send them the link :xf.grin:

•••
Yes, and that's exactly what my target is! Someone who likes to watch YouTube and may run into it via recommended video or feed. I also have some people on my social media who might be interested. I get asked a lot "how do I get a website? what do I need?" I say a domain, and they say "where do I get it?" Now, I can just send them the link :xf.grin:

In that case - go for it dude!!

•••

Any seasoned domainer will have already tried most of the registrars that matter and will already know this info. :xf.smile:

I agree for the most part. Domainers will already know this. And for everyone else, to most people, buying a domain is like buying a bag of candy, just pick one and be done with it. Any accredited registrar is going to offer, more or less, the same features...as far as a novice is concerned. Most people who are not domainers just want to quickly buy the domain, set it up to work with their website...and that's it.

•••
It might be better to outline the steps to take to get a domain and set up a site vs comps that change daily.

Then provide affiliate links for "where to go" as not all will have the same user experiences.
"I have already had it" with Godaddy doesn't sound like an objective comparison at all.

Freebie sites could also be listed to be used as a test run to show how easy it is to create a website today before jumping into
registry territory.
I believe people who are not domainers but connected to the web in a technical way already know the choices they have.

There are so many different ways to start online for newbies. Sending them to registries assumes too much ?

•••
So now the modified list is:
  • GoDaddy
  • Namecheap
  • NameSilo
  • Uniregistry
  • Epik
  • Name.com (in consideration)
  • Dynadot (in consideration)

It might also be a good idea to add FastHosts being that more of us have joined them considering their ongoing promo?

•••
It might also be a good idea to add FastHosts being that more of us have joined them considering their ongoing promo?
I like them, too, but FastHosts is not a registrar, only a Tucows reseller.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think, NetworkSolutions should not be there?

•••
•••
The more on the list the better - but another important point I would want to know is: What will you be comparing for each of these registrars?

•••
Maybe somewhere in your video you want newbies to be aware of the following:

If not using Domain Whois Privacy, your contact information is public. In this case, you might experience a flood of emails for the following:

1) people offering services -- Web Development, SEO, Logo Design, Mobil Apps, etc...
2) people offering you the opportunity to purchase a "hacked" up version of your name. Say you registered MyNewDomainName . com -- they will say you can now buy My-N-ew-DomainN-ame .com (or some stupid looking version of your name)
3) they will receive emails from "brokers" that represent a "buyer" willing to pay thousands of dollars for their domain name -- but they must first get it officially appraised before their buyer can finalize the purchase - this is a scam
4) they will get an email that their SEO Renewal is past due. it will expire if they do not renew and they have to renew for another year at their suggested renewal rate for SEO Services. Just more Scam/spam
5) they will receive an email from a Chinese Registrar claiming a company has filed to register their name with the .CN Extension. So they better claim it before the company registeres it.
6) and basically lost of spam

Regards,
DN

•••
The more on the list the better - but another important point I would want to know is: What will you be comparing for each of these registrars?

I plan to have "awards" for certain categories. Was thinking:

Best WHOIS protection
Best value (price)
Best panel (taking in to account graphics, features, functionality, and if there's a mobile option)
Best overall (which would be what I feel is an even combination of all 3 categories)

•••
•••
Out of curiosity, how exactly do you rate who's privacy is better?

Was thinking based off of options. For example, Dynadot seems to offer more options on their WHOIS protection for how the email forwarding works, but Namecheap has a unique feature of changing the email once a week, so if it gets on a spam list, it will only be valid for a week.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back