NameSilo

discuss What makes for a good brandable domain ? Showcase your brandables here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

oldtimer

SaveThyWorld.com Let's not leave anyone behindTop Member
Impact
With thousands of startups needing a name for their new company and many more existing businesses also branching out all the time and needing names for their new line of products and services it seems that brandable domains is one of the areas that could be very beneficial to domainers both old and new and deserves to be explored further.

Below are a few points of discussion to get this thread started, if I have left something important out please let me know so that it can be added to them. If you have any tips or advice about brandable domains please feel free to share them with the rest of us.

1-What is a brandable domain.

2-How many different types of brandable domains are there and is one type better than the others.

3-What makes a brandable domain stand out amongst thousands of others.

4-What is the optimum length for a brandable domain, how long can a brandable domain be and still qualify as being a good choice.

5-What types of brandable domains are most desired by startups and existing businesses.

6-What is the best way to find brandable domains.

7-What is the best way to sell brandable domains.

Attention Newbies: It's probably best to first hear what some of the more experienced domainers have to say about this subject before you consider getting any domains, and even then it's probably best to experiment with just a few domains at a time. You should be able to sell one domain and then use the proceeds from that sale to get more domains, if you cannot even sell one domain then you are doing something wrong and need to adjust your strategy. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thank you Ray and Giles for posting these sales, this give us new hope. :)

I wonder if some of the bigger sales on this list have to do more with the quality of the name or just being lucky.

There is no doubt it is similar to the LLLL market which can be a lottery , interesting to see what they would have been appraised at here at namepros ?

Last edited:
•••
I wonder if some of the bigger sales on this list have to do more with the quality of the name or just being lucky.
You can only say "quality", if there is some visible parameter you can measure against.

Is there?????

If none, then it's lucky.

•••
.com Hoteg

is it brandable? Hot or not? :)

•••
Wholio.com

Many possibilities for a startup, think of a tv commercial with Paul Simon's "Me and Julio" instrumental playing in the background...

:imho:

•••
.com Hoteg

is it brandable? Hot or not? :)

submit it at brandbucket or namerific to find out

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

I must admit i find the brandable market interesting , other 'trendy categories' such as big data and marijuanna has not interested me much but i do think the brandables is a new aspect worth looking onto. I would not base a portfolio around them but it is some fun to try and come up with the names , quite often you think you're on a winner only to discover someone regged two years ago

•••
it seems a lot of us are having a go at these brandables, i wonder how many start ups are occurring each year ?

•••
on an ly spurt

quitly.com
enchantly.com

The market is quite a bit larger than the number of startups.

•••
it seems a lot of us are having a go at these brandables, i wonder how many start ups are occurring each year ?
No matter how many startups there are, there's still no guarantee they'll pick any of the brandable domains held by domainers. It's a total lottery.

And startups are mostly cheapos. One startup contacted me about my brandable .com and balked at my asking price (which is modestly priced, granting that he will use it for business and can earn his domain expense back in the future). So he settled with regging the .net version (at reg fee) and started building his site there.

His mistake was, i am mostly a domain developer. So i responded by building a business website on my .com domain. And now, his .net is on the 2nd page of Google.

•••
I've been thinking about Internet of Things lately, and startups that may come from the technology. Today I registered IOTHERM in dot com. One of the top uses for IOT is in Industrial and Home Temperature Monitoring and Control. Iotherm is not a trademark, but is a very pronounceable, memorable and descriptive brandable, IMHO.

I'm thinking of starting an IOT thread similar to Cloud and Big Data, anyone else interested in posting if I do?

•••
what is the average resonse time from brandbucket i wonder?

•••
what is the average resonse time from brandbucket i wonder?

In my case, it was just a little over two weeks.

They did accept 4 out of 10, though, so I can't complain.

They must be receiving a lot of submissions, so I guess we just have to be patient.

•••

In my case, it was just a little over two weeks.

They did accept 4 out of 10, though, so I can't complain.

They must be receiving a lot of submissions, so I guess we just have to be patient.

I do agree they would be inundated with submissions as a result of this and other threads.............seems us domainers wanna get things happening asap

•••
I do agree they would be inundated with submissions as a result of this and other threads.............seems us domainers wanna get things happening asap

We are an impulsive, in-a-hurry bunch, aren't we?

:)

It's part of our DNA.

Fortunately, I have some other projects that are keeping me busy, so BB is just another project.

•••
No real meaning for these.

WowSting.com
Yourilla.com

Brandable?

Take care.

•••
dawtComs:
guess that "e" and "i" prefixes make them brandable

eRegging
iRegging

eAmount
eAmounts

•••
dawtComs:
guess that "e" and "i" prefixes make them brandable

eRegging
iRegging

eAmount
eAmounts

not really what they are looking for i suspect

example : i have plargo as name accepted to be sold, means nothing but is catchy

•••

Recently picked up

VIPst.com

Wowzo.com​

:blink:

•••
chevynogo ........brandable ?

: )

•••
There are millions of brandable style domains registered and few if any ever sell because they are never seen. Naming a company is very complex and a true art form and most in the business world are clueless how to come up with a great brand name so they seek out sites like Brandbucket. If you are new to this game don't waste your money regging a bunch of names because they will never ever be seen by anyone. Its a rarity to come up with a great 5, 6, or 7 letter domain and then for an end user to come up with that exact same name and seek you out to buy it. Not going to happen or very rare. If Brandbucket accepts your name you have a chance of selling it. A chance not a guarantee and first the name has to be accepted by them which is rare in itself. With around 12 million 5 letter combinations, 310 million 6 letter combinations and 8 billion 7 letter combinations you can see how easy it is for that fantastic name you just came up with to get lost in the sea of massive amounts of short domain names. There are easier ways to make money in this business.

Odds be damned, I've got a name for that merger of the two biggest ad firms Publicis and Omnicon: "PublicCon". Both PublicCon.com and Publicon.com still available. Should I chance it and burn through a couple new godaddy codes? :-/

•••
Odds be damned, I've got a name for that merger of the two biggest ad firms Publicis and Omnicon: "PublicCon". Both PublicCon.com and Publicon.com still available. Should I chance it and burn through a couple new godaddy codes? :-/

By posting it here, someone has probably already snatched them. On the surface, they sound like cool names.

However, I would avoid them because "Public" and "Con" together has a negative meaning--BIG TIME.

Unless you plan to set up a watchdog type of site--re: public cons by government--I'm not sure how that could make money. These kinds of sites are wearing and attract the wackadoodles big time (I used to be an admin at Foetry, and all the wing nuts seemed to crawl out of their cracks, lol).

Also, admitting on a forum that you are thinking about merging the names of two existing companies might set you up for a bad faith UDRP.

Why buy trouble?

D-:

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

chevynogo ........brandable ?

: )

D-:

Keep in mind that "Chevy" is a trademark.

Unless you plan to set up a review site (without ads), then I would walk away from it.

:tri:

•••

By posting it here, someone has probably already snatched them. On the surface, they sound like cool names.

However, I would avoid them because "Public" and "Con" together has a negative meaning--BIG TIME.

Unless you plan to set up a watchdog type of site--re: public cons by government--I'm not sure how that could make money. These kinds of sites are wearing and attract the wackadoodles big time (I used to be an admin at Foetry, and all the wing nuts seemed to crawl out of their cracks, lol).

Also, admitting on a forum that you are thinking about merging the names of two existing companies might set you up for a bad faith UDRP.

Why buy trouble?

D-:

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

D-:

Keep in mind that "Chevy" is a trademark.

Unless you plan to set up a review site (without ads), then I would walk away from it.

:tri:

......you do realise i was joking ( the smiley face was the clue )

•••
......you do realise i was joking ( the smiley face was the clue )

My bad.

:guilty: :red:

:)

Sometimes jokes don't quite translate on the screen.

I'm a bit block headed today.

•••
A nice Z name sold this week Jennifer on Afternic Zymphony.com for $1,795.

•••
along with a rejection email came the info from namerific that about only 3% of names submitted are accepted

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back