Dynadot

What is your strategy if you die?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
We live in strange times. What is the strategy for your domains if you die?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

coincidentally, similar thought was passing thru the mind this morning, before reading this thread.
that being said:

time, in itself is strange

it moves too fast, when you don't have much time left
and it moves too slow, when you want things speeded up

when puff, puff, puff'n on a blunt,
time... hardly moves at all
one can pose, ponder and even answer some mathematical and philosophical questions
and the "what-if's" concerning the future of the world....
and go thru all those thoughts and visualizations in the mind.... which in real time,
may only be a few minutes.

but a plan is in place.

:)

imo....

•••
•••
Dead people don't have strategies. They are dead.

•••
Put your domains and passwords to manage the domains in your heritage before you die ...

Tell them that you own and parked some domains for sale ...

Change accountnumbers at your seller's dashboard or so can be a problem may be ...

Advice/solution welcome about this. Very interesting imo.

It's up to yourself wich strategy you have.

Maybe you can save some taxes in this way.

This depends on local tax regulations i think ...

Glta

Last edited:
•••
Hi

coincidentally, similar thought was passing thru the mind this morning, before reading this thread.
that being said:

time, in itself is strange

it moves too fast, when you don't have much time left
and it moves too slow, when you want things speeded up

when puff, puff, puff'n on a blunt,
time... hardly moves at all
one can pose, ponder and even answer some mathematical and philosophical questions
and the "what-if's" concerning the future of the world....
and go thru all those thoughts and visualizations in the mind.... which in real time,
may only be a few minutes.

but a plan is in place.

:)

imo....
And the award for the longest answer without mentioning the answer goes to...

•••
Put your domains and passwords to manage the domains in your heritage before you die ... Tell them that you own and parked some domains for sale ... It's up to yourself wich strategy you have. Maybe you can save some taxes in this way. This depends on local tax regulations i think ...
A typical reaction of a typical person: What? Domains? You can buy domains? I am sorry, I don't know what this part of his will means. What about the house itself? (Top.com won't even get logged into. A domainer with the right budget will catch it. The owner who inherited it will never know it was worth much more than the house.)

Have you guys heard the true story about Whiskey.com? Same thing. People don't know much about domains. We know what we are talking about! :)

•••
•••
There must be a solution for domains with a heritage strategy ... My idea is not stupid but not 100 % "waterproof" for the moment. Glta

Last edited:
•••
Just transfer your domains before you die to your
beneficiary and explain them where to put for sale ...

•••
Great idea! Next time a terrorist starts stabbing me in the chest I'm gonna pull out my phone, log into my GoDaddy account, and start transferring my domain names. Oh I almost forgot; and then call my girlfriend to tell her where to sell them.

•••
lol... like you fix ya death day

•••
Have your passwords and authentication keys logged in a software and entrusted to your NOK.
He/she will probably be able to access the keylogger through a password taken care of in your will.
Include as much details as possible in the log; if the NOK doesn't fancy the idea of domaining, then so be it. ..dead men tell no tales..
once in a while, mother nature has a way of rotating fortunes.
IMO:zippermouth:

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last check goes to mortician and hopefully it bounces :)

•••
If you are nice share your credentials with your best loving one.

•••
I was not able to attend, but @Alvin Brown did a session on this at NamesCon. Here is a summary
https://www.namepros.com/threads/estate-planning-for-domain-investors-takes-center-stage-day-three-of-namescon-global-2020.1175583/

Perhaps he would be kind enough to share his comments in this thread as well.

I am sure there was a thread at NamePros on exactly this topic about 2 yr ago but still searching for it. I will give link when I find it.

I have a few personal thoughts, but will share them a bit later. One important thing is to make sure someone has access to your accounts of course.

A serious, but important, topic.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Just make sure you educate *someone* (spouse, partner, kid, sibling etc.) about the value of domains or else leaving them the passwords won't to much good anyway.

•••
When I die I hope to rest in peace ✌️
Only those with super valuable top tier dictionary word dot coms need to have a plan in place for those digital assets imo

•••
•••
Death and taxes.
The only two certainties in life.

•••
*just a quick random thought*
we can create a non-profit company that domainers can trust their domains with. in case we die the company will somehow be able to manage/sell the domains and either send the money to people we choose or donate the money to a charity organization.

Last edited:
•••
•••
*just a quick random thought*
use a service like the one offered by futureme.org to send an email to the future with all the information and instructions about your domains to someone that you want him/her to inherit your portfolio

Last edited:
•••
i have prepared the doc for all my domains with username, password, past highest offers (including lead details) in spreadsheets. (I have saved crypto holding details too in another sheet)

i can't explain in & out about domaining to my wife, so told about namepros.com. If I die, she may contact someone/admin in this forum to sell my domains, at least for reseller price. I have told to share the doc because it has the info.

I wish long life for everyone :xf.grin::xf.smile:(y)

Last edited:
•••
Back