IT.COM

What is the best strategy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have a question: What is your best strategy to sell domains? I mean, which one is the best way to sell domain - to set the desired price or put Make offer for domain name? May be someone have the stats for it?
Please give your oppinion.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My personal opinion here, but...

I've had far more success selling domains under 1k at domain name forums like Namepros than at sites like Sedo and Afternic. Other than domain name forums, I'd recommend considering eBay for lower quality domains -- sometimes they get bid up to ridiculous amounts for God knows what reason!

For domains at Sedo, I list all my names using "Make Offer". With 2k+ domains, this is just me being lazy and not wanting to give serious thought to each name's valuation unless an offer presents itself. Still, I believe "Make Offer" is a better listing method. You never know when an enduser may come along and you're really selling yourself short by placing a price on a domain which may be worth so much more to them. Now, it may be hard to know whether that person making an offer through Sedo is an enduser or not, but doing some research after receiving a bid (googling) may help in that department.

I counter any offer on Sedo for one of my domains with $10,000+. I sell most of my lower quality names here, so I couldn't really care if this breaks the negotiations. If the person's a domainer, they're probably smart enough to send a second offer at which point I'll often drop a zero off the quoted price. If they're an enduser, you'll likely get a serious offer on your second offer. Don't put anything like "this is my final offer", that just tends to scare domainers away.

invincible55 said:
I have a question: What is your best strategy to sell domains? I mean, which one is the best way to sell domain - to set the desired price or put Make offer for domain name? May be someone have the stats for it?

•••
Reece said:

I've had far more success selling domains under 1k at domain name forums like Namepros than at sites like Sedo and Afternic. Other than domain name forums, I'd recommend considering eBay for lower quality domains -- sometimes they get bid up to ridiculous amounts for God knows what reason!

For domains at Sedo, I list all my names using "Make Offer". With 2k+ domains, this is just me being lazy and not wanting to give serious thought to each name's valuation unless an offer presents itself. Still, I believe "Make Offer" is a better listing method. You never know when an enduser may come along and you're really selling yourself short by placing a price on a domain which may be worth so much more to them. Now, it may be hard to know whether that person making an offer through Sedo is an enduser or not, but doing some research after receiving a bid (googling) may help in that department.

I counter any offer on Sedo for one of my domains with $10,000+. I sell most of my lower quality names here, so I couldn't really care if this breaks the negotiations. If the person's a domainer, they're probably smart enough to send a second offer at which point I'll often drop a zero off the quoted price. If they're an enduser, you'll likely get a serious offer on your second offer. Don't put anything like "this is my final offer", that just tends to scare domainers away.

invincible55 said:

Good point. Very Helpful.

•••
agreed, nice post. rep added.

•••
great ideas.. I might have to give ebay more effort and try my luck there!

•••
Reece said:

Excellent advice, I agree completely.

•••
As far as ebay goes, i think it is a buyers market there not a sellers. I have seen time after time names go for far under their potential value. I have picked up several names there for under $20 and sold for mid $xxx with in a couple of weeks. Even LLLL.coms there go under valued there.

IMO, accepting offer that are gains for you no matter how much you paid for the domain only means you have more money to invest in some other names. Like Rick Latona said about dollars.com:
"I still have tens of thousands of domains left. I’ll make far more money by the market continuing to rise than I ever could have made had I held on to Dollars.com for a bit longer."

Selling for less might actually be more valuable than holding and selling for more. Basically turning your profits back into investments only helps you and over time actually gains more money than letting it appreciate in value. Don't get me wrong holding on to names for value isn't a bad thing as long as you are prepared to hold them.

Good Luck!

•••
If you have a valuable domain name, do not list it on ebay. Domains go there for extremely low prices, I picked up an aged NNNN.com from 1999 that had been a developed site with tons of backlinks for under $250.

•••
All this dogging on ebay, sometimes its okay to sell there :)

wrab.com may be a good barometer for the upcoming ebay market.

•••
I think if you use Ebay to sell then setting a reserve price should counter the problems mentioned.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back