IT.COM

question What is your biggest mistake in Domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello Guys
As in title.
For me, It is the investing in 5L.com Chips.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Regging names while drinking

•••
•••
I don't define myself as a domainer really - I just have a professional interest in the domain business and in particularly new gTLDs - but I have a small portfolio of (I think) good names that I've acquired one way or the other over the years. I've had various unsolicited offers on some of these names. I wish I'd more actively pursued those potential buyers. Equally, there are domains that I could have acquired and didn't. In one case I know that a domain I could have acquired for $500 sold for a relatively high (around $4k) sum. But equally, for every domain you acquire that might sell, there are ten more that you're tempted into that don't.

•••
Not joining the party earlier

•••
Why is investing in 5L.com domains a bad idea?

•••
Believing in hype brought up by others in the beginning. Seems every time gotta do this it's the latest thing crap comes around bottom falls out months later.

•••
•••
Because their value now:
Gone with the Wind

Mark my words, it's only a matter of time before 5L coms become the new 4L coms and you'll wish you had the foresight to invest in more "valuable" ones when you had the chance...
They are a "long-term" liquid asset investment. May not be an immediate return on investment, but a valuable one.

Last edited:
•••
I sold two names on NamePros one for $1 and another for $2 and later got $2500, and $4000 offers for them just 4-5 months later.

•••
Mark my words, it's only a matter of time before 5L coms become the new 4L coms and you'll wish you had the foresight to invest in more "valuable" ones when you had the chance...
They are a "long-term" liquid asset investment. May not be an immediate return on investment, but a valuable one.
What about of the renewal fees for them, when you are investing in a huge quantity..
For example, if you have 1000 domains, are you going to spend another $8k to renew them?

•••
What about of the renewal fees for them, when you are investing in a huge quantity..
For example, if you have 1000 domains, are you going to spend another $8k to renew them?

That depends on how deep your pockets are... if you find 1000 5Ls that make sense in value, then yes, it would pay off. If you can only afford a handful, I would keep them, some day, large quantity or not, you'll get your money back. I'd say it's a safe investment.

I'm not saying it'll make you rich, but to cover more sporadic purchases, it makes sense. Diversity is key.

Last edited:
•••
Not taking a 10k offer on sports related domain... The only offer I've ever received.

•••
•••
Purchasing domains that I had to hand over to owner due to IP rights...

•••

Hoping that's soon! I currently have a few nice 5L.com domains in my list.

•••
investing in chineese domains ....

•••
•••
chips ...on other extensions like .info.. . org etc

•••
I threw away a lot of money when I first started in domaining. I've since figured out how to find much better domain names, but now I'm struggling to find the money to aquire them. I sort of dug a hole for myself to get out of.

•••
Regg'ing crap that had grand ideas for.

My ambition far outweighs my time and finances haha.

•••
5l.com chips as well. Burnt around $10k on them with 0 back and fully expect to just delete them come renewals in a few months. No more chasing trends and fads for me hopefully. A big lesson learnt and I knew within a couple of months or so that I had made a big mistake following the hype but was too late then to get out.

•••
Lucky not to make any huge mistake worth mentioning and ALHUMDULLILAH most of the time going in right direction.

•••
registering bad names because they were cheap and I didn't have a proper plan

•••
I missed the auction that I used to be the highest bidder on the last 5 minutes, but the last 2 minutes remaining, there's another guy make a bid higher than me :( :( :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back