IT.COM

opinion What is the worst recommendation you hear in the world of Domain Name Investing?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kartikahuja

Established Member
Impact
The one people shared in my initial days was - just get anything that looks good on GoDaddy / EstiBot Appraisal. It will definitely sell.

Later, I realised many things that were responsible for an Appraisal such as past data, keywords, what is the value in the end-users mind. I also had an experience where Appraisal showed the value less than $100 was sold for more than $1500 to the end-user.

What was that one worst recommendation you have heard people sharing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That "hand registering domains is not domain investing".

I've had different leads and requests this year to domains which were all hand regs. However, looking at the niche domain discussions and I understand where this advice comes from. Telling everybody they should solely focus on drop regs or just buy from marketplaces isn't very sustainable for the average domainer.

The general logic in this forum is, that anything with average value will be a hard sale, so don't go for it. And that domains above average value are nearly impossible to collect via drop or hand reg. They miss and ignore the market of hand regs, because it's far easier to just get high value domains via auction or marketplaces, if you have the resources.

•••
•••
"2021 is too late to start domaining"

I think all you need is smart work, understand how to make the research, and some consistent cash flow to get going. Expired domain .net can be a gold mine if we get our basics right and learn the art of research.

•••
godaddy appraisal greater than or equal to $4k

•••
Telling others to not buy some (brand) because they cracked it . Changing registrars is your prerogative it doesn't make it your duty to influence others that are happy that might understand more. Eg someone cracks it because a cc domain is repossesed in a country they don't live in but all we hear is name stolen so moving my names and you should too. Burning bridges especially with the bigger players alienates many or seeing how people react to minor things like not having an advertisement removed within days and buyer is losing mind. Eg: see these and steer clear.

•••
Yep, I agree with what was said above. It makes me cringe every time someone says handregging does not work. Over half of my sales in the last year were hand regs. It takes thought, research and the ability to spot a trend, but it can pay off quite well if done properly.

•••
Worst: invest in non-com, when cant sell com

If you cant sell the most popular extension…

“why would you make it harder on yourself?”

Last edited:
•••
The worst recommendation as follows:

Buyer: "I'm interested, but I don't do escrow"

Last edited:
•••
The worst recommendation as follows:

Buyer: "I'm interested, but I don't do escrow"
then proceeds to offer their shady site; LOL! i’ve seen it all

Last edited:
•••
Blockchain will replace traditional domain names

Last edited:
•••
Keep in mind that there are two different kinds of advice that you can get from other domainers:

One that is given for your benefit,

Which is meant to prevent you from making the usual mistakes that are made by many people who might not have enough experience in domaining yet,

And then there is the other kind of advice that is given mainly for the benefit of the person who is giving the advice,

Which is designed to steer you in a certain direction that is meant to protect their own interests and agendas or that of the Registrars, Registries, and other domain related Entities that they are affiliated with.

For those who give you advice for your benefit also keep in mind that what they say might apply to different stages of domaining, so if they say that you should stick to .com or avoid hand registering when you first start domaining it might be so that you can get a little more experience so that you can learn to recognize what a good domain or alternative extension is before you sink all your money into a bunch of useless domains, but as you become more experienced you might then need a whole new set of advice that apply to higher levels of domaining, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the advice that you got at the beginning was wrong, it just means that you might have outgrown those that are for beginners.

In conclusion first try to only listen to those who can be trusted and who want what's good for you and not just for themselves, and secondly remember that even the best advice might only be right for certain stages of domaining and might not necessarily apply to other levels. Also it's important to remember that there are many different routes that can take you to the top of the mountain and so even amongst those who can be trusted there might sometimes be some differences in opinions and then it's pretty much up to you to decide which guru you want to choose to follow.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hi

the worst recommendations,
typically come from those, who want others, to think they know what they are talking about.

they repeat shit they heard, saw or read, without validating it, in effort to sound knowledgeable.

as evidence, just read their past posts and you'll see what i mean..

imo....

•••
It's worth noting that there are hundreds of TLDs including the New gTLDs and the Country' Code extensions not to mention all the different categories that one can focus on such as the one and two word domains, the three and four letter domains, numbers, exact match domains, new trends and technologies, and brandables and so it's probably a good idea for beginners to read about and make themselves familiar with all these different choices and strategies before investing any serious money into any specific area.

That's just common sense advice no matter where it comes from.

IMO

•••
Worst: invest in non-com, when cant sell com

If you cant sell the most popular extension…

“why would you make it harder on yourself?”

I agree. It is basically swimming against the current.

Sure, some people can make money with other extensions, but most of them started with .COM. If you can't turn a profit with .COM, it is rather difficult to just start with some other extension.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
That "hand registering domains is not domain investing".

I agree, that dude is completely stoned. He claims that if you hand register the domain - it's not an investment, yet, if you drop this same domain year later and someone picks it up - then yes, then that guy is investing, indeed... And if you don't drop it, hold on to it and sell - well, you were just lucky. A logic more perverted than the 72 genders claim...

Speaking generally I found any advice against hand registering pretty bad. Nowadays my hand regs are about 25% of total, but when I started, it was 100% for a few good months. Still hold many of them and even the ones that I dropped taught me a lot. These were extremely valuable lessons that I learned scrolling through thousands and thousands names, writing, thinking, analyzing...

•••
That hand-registering domains is domain investing. Rubbish. @HexPixel_com

•••
I agree, that dude is completely stoned. He claims that if you hand register the domain - it's not an investment, yet, if you drop this same domain year later and someone picks it up - then yes, then that guy is investing,

You just don't get it. Listen to experienced domainers. And no one is advising against hand reg's.

Last edited:
•••
You just don't get it. Listen to experienced domainers. And no one is advising against hand reg's.

It's really you who don't get it what you really saying. But anyways, no point to argue here, none of us can really convince the other.

•••
It's really you who don't get it what you really saying. But anyways, no point to argue here, none of us can really convince the other.

You know the correct thread to post your opinion. Apparently you haven't followed the entire thread and original article since you think:

I found any advice against hand registering pretty bad

At no point was this the message.

•••
You know the correct thread to post your opinion. Apparently you haven't followed the entire thread and original article since you think:

At no point was this the message.

My first comment was on someone else's answer, who quoted you.

About ''any advice on hand-reg'' was not about your posts at all, get a life.

You can continue with your own thread, nothing to see here.

•••
The worst advice is from all the people telling you not to listen to the advice of the most successful domainers. I.e. Hand registering junk non .coms especially

Last edited:
•••
Sure, some people can make money with other extensions, but most of them started with .COM. If you can't turn a profit with .COM, it is rather difficult to just start with some other extension.

Can you become a successful domainer without ever registering a .com iyo?

•••
Can you become a successful domainer without ever registering a .com iyo?

In theory, its possible. If you're experienced, with your own market

However, the most money is fetched with a ".com". If you aren't experienced ...stick to what's best. Don't give yourself a headache

•••
Back