IT.COM

.info What has more value? .net OR .info

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi,

It would be great to have some opinions from fellow domainers about the value of .net vs .info domains.

A lot of .info's get attention here on namepros, while .net is almost absent.
Is .net a valuable tld? Would you rather have domain.NET or domain.INFO

Thanks for your comments and replies !

Regards,

dnyellow

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.NET, downright. It's the second most known tld globally. .info always looks like spam to me.

•••
No comparison. .Net is Queen while .COM will always be the King.

•••
.net is the leader after .com

•••
.Info is unfamiliar to the average Web user, while .net is more familiar.

If you're serious about a site you're developing, I'd buy both. ;)

•••
.net is just as good as .info.
It is a matter of viewpoints and beliefs.
Travel.net is just as useful for a travel business as Travel.info.
One viewpoint could be that .net points rather towards tangible entities (network, routes, roads, ways, destinations, places) while .info could rather refer to intangible entities (Place names, numeric information, multimedia presentations, posters, flyers, brochures, electronic documents, etc).
However, a number of entities can be classified in both .net and .info classes (movie.net vs. movie.info etc.).
Examples: adult.network vs adult.information and farmers.network vs farmers.information.
Farmers.net is a great name for a farmers syndicate etc. but Farmers.info is just as great (or even better) for the same purpose.
It is how people see it (and their budget).
Same thing about so-called garbage domains (random letters and numbers): People let them go for scratch to people who generate huge traffic by using those "crap domains" for redirecting or doorway purposes.
Two weeks ago everybody was selling LLLL domains for almost free.
Now they are going again for $xxx.xx ...
Successful domainers can use any domain with any tld.
So simple is it.

•••
I've been dropping/liquidating my .INFO's ... yet renewing my best .NET's, generally speaking! :talk: :imho:

Best of Luck.
-Jeff B-)

•••
.com > .net > .org > .info

At least ;)

•••
1901gt said:
.Net is Queen while .COM will always be the King.

Agreed. Infact in some countries its the other way.

:tu:

•••
One cant know for sure wich one is best, although .net is the second in line after .com, while .info is 4th ... and further more .net are used more than .info . Like someone said above, if you are serious, you should buy them both at least .

•••
.net is still solid.

.net isn't mentioned much, because it's an easy shot to say it's "not a .com". but just check out the sales at dnjournal, plenty of money being made. lots of people dismiss them outright. so it's easy to catch bargains.

where the .com wasn't available i'm happy to develop .nets. eg. currently i'm playing around with

CoolThing.net
Blogerati.net
TibetanMedicine.net
HealingMeditation.net

etc...all were fresh regs (or low $xx) and will rank great and are still memorable. i'm not worried about 'losing traffic to the .com' because the .coms are perhaps parked, or the positives of having the generic term outweigh any negatives.

.infos are the fast movers, with $xx names suddenly in the $xxx (and over) range. perhaps why get a bit of bang for their buck, press-wise. it feels like they still have a good way to run.

sometimes it's a match which works with which name. it's rare to see the same name available in both extension and the sales prices don't make the decision for you. you'd probably be able to bargain down a .info owner more so perhaps that would get the tick.

generally for me - unless it's a pure generic term i can get hold of - i'd rather hunt around for a brandable .com any day.

;)

Last edited:
•••
soggyindo said:
where the .com wasn't available i'm happy to develop .nets. eg. currently i'm playing around with
Exactly.

A little story, but not sure how "typical" results are: Developed a great .net that started to receive 5K uniques/month. I figured with that, there must be some sad leakage to the .com. Made a strong offer for the com and picked it up. The developed .net still gets 5-8K uniques/month while the com doesn't get more than 30-40 uniques/month. Had it for a year now, so stats are pretty solid.

•••
Fka200 said:
Exactly.

A little story, but not sure how "typical" results are: Developed a great .net that started to receive 5K uniques/month. I figured with that, there must be some sad leakage to the .com. Made a strong offer for the com and picked it up. The developed .net still gets 5-8K uniques/month while the com doesn't get more than 30-40 uniques/month. Had it for a year now, so stats are pretty solid.

that's really interesting. i'm sure the owners of boingboing.net are doing just fine (etc.) - and they used to own the .com

i met a guy on another forum who made his living picking up great product names in .net. often he could just find them dropping or could pick them up on forums for under $50. things like bikehelmets.net (this was a couple years ago). he'd add afiliate products, do some seo, and make another healthy income stream for himself. for him getting over the .net discrimination was like free money.

another thing is that .net is another brandable thing you can play with. eg. CoolThing.net i chose because the .net is so uncool, and it's about the internet, so hey, perfect. similarly any product or topic plus .net (like herbalremedies.net) is like saying "herbal remedies on the internet".

Last edited:
•••
If you can get a strong keyword.info I think your golden but I am talking about stuff like "community" info but I personally would try to obtain the net first as I agree with the previous posters.

•••
I don't recall ever seeing a .info sell for more than the corresponding .net. Usually .net is much higher.

•••
It depends. If you have GFEF.net and Mortgages.info your .info will be worth more.

If you have Homes.net and facebookunblocker.info your .net will be worth more!

•••
But if you compare Apples to apples the .NET will always sell for more.

.NET has a history and credibility which .INFO does not. INFO is still not known by most internet users. It is closer to all the other extensions than .NET in my opinion.

If you take the same keyword and put it in .NET and .INFO the .NET sale would blow the .INFO out of the water.

Something like Sex.net vs Sex.info or HomeLoans.net vs HomeLoans.info

Many foreign websites are based on .NET since it is clearly the 2nd best extension, and many countries view .COM as the TLD of the United States.

Every once in awhile you will have a solid .INFO sale for true category killers that work in .INFO, but overall there is no comparison.

Brad

GF said:
It depends. If you have GFEF.net and Mortgages.info your .info will be worth more.

If you have Homes.net and facebookunblocker.info your .net will be worth more!

This is true. Many of the reported .NET sales are to people from foreign countries.

Many in the world view .COM as the TLD of the US, and would prefer .NET (especially for the discounted cost)

Brad

mntor said:
Agreed. Infact in some countries its the other way.

:tu:

Last edited:
•••
.net

I would go with a .net or .org if I could not get the .com. All the others are not even close. Of course if you're in Germany then .de might be a fit etc... But between .net and .info, no competition, .net takes it hands down.

•••
A .net is definately worth a lot more than a .info of the equivalant keyword

•••
.net without a doubt. :tu:

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the input guys ... on my way to register some good .nets!

Regards,

dnyellow

•••
Leave .net .info and everything. Its just how you see.

If you want to see from an SEO perspective than it dosent matter.

If you look from an outsider view .net might have a higer point rating in their minds. ultimately its the .com which wins. So whichever you choose other than .com it dosent count much

•••
•••
It does count to end users. Most internet users have never heard of any extension other than the Big Three (COM/NET/ORG)

They have a credibility build in that other extensions do not have. That is why end users prefer a .NET to any other extension after .COM

It is in the second position, and will not be unseated anytime soon.

Brad

coolguythampy said:
Leave .net .info and everything. Its just how you see.

If you want to see from an SEO perspective than it dosent matter.

If you look from an outsider view .net might have a higer point rating in their minds. ultimately its the .com which wins. So whichever you choose other than .com it dosent count much

Last edited:
•••
wow.. is this question serious... lol im jk...

its .net. .net has been around long before .info as it is one of the original extensions. few consumers actually know about the .info extension. .info is less costly then a .net often making them ideal for spammers and the use of puppet domains. (Puppet Domain: A site that often changes a domain, such as a proxy to aviod getting blocked by networks)

well .info first came about there was alot of hype around it, but since its launch it has signifigantly declined..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back