Dynadot

question What do you make of this odd series of offers?

NameSilo
Watch

Joe N

Top Member
Impact
This is for a brandable name I've owned for a little over a year. Previously listed at BrandBucket, but was removed about six months ago and has been listed for $1,995 on my Efty page since then (also listed on various marketplaces).

About two months ago, I received a $100 offer for the name via Efty. I reply the standard, "Thank you, but the name is currently listed at blah blah blah..."

I get no reply. Follow up a week later. Nothing.

A week ago I changed a bunch of my landing page listings from BIN to Make Offer. This name was one of those.

Two days ago I wake up to two more offers received for this name on my Efty page. Both offers were from the same person as before. First offer: $2,000. And then one hour later, another offer for $5,000.

I replied later in the day, only to the second email: "Thanks for your offer. I've decided to accept. What escrow service would you like to use?"... and so on. I even provided an Afternic link to the name with a $5,000 BIN, to remove the hassle of using Escrow.com if they never have. And honestly, if I can sell this name for 5K then I'll gladly eat the commission.

Haven't heard anything back yet. I've tried researching the guy's name and email, but all I found was a sketchy G+ site trying to sell gold bars.

Has anyone experienced something like this? I'm scratching my head. Why the random bump to 5K when I already quoted 2K a couple months ago? Why bother filling out the Efty form three times and then not reply?

Edit to add: Phone number provided is from Tanzania. IP address is Cameroon.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You answered yourself... :xf.grin:

Thanks for sharing (y)

•••
probably someone testing the waters for Scambait

•••
Seems to be someone who wanted never anything else from you than to visit his G+ - gold bars - site because he thinks / hopes you will order some (fake?) gold bars from him.

Or indeed simply a honest but overstrained / confused person with unknown problems.

Last edited:
•••
Seems like a very roundabout and inefficient way to get the word out about your fake gold bar site. :) But yeah, I imagine you're all right. Some kind of odd scan. Maybe just hoping I'll call the long distance number?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back