discuss What did you learn in 2019?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

PriyankaS

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
I learnt that -
1. brandable reseller value has gone down
2. Even liquid domains can fail you. if 4Ls don't surge in 2020 i will have loss.
3. Bin works best for my portfolio instead of make offer.
4. Outbound can be managed well only with team
5. If you see any huge sale and find similar domain expecting same range price. Bad idea.
6. Crypto domains. I got into crypto domains only in 2019 and it failed me. Trend change faster than you imagine.
7. Learn to use different tools.

I learnt few more things which i may mention in comments. what are your lessons in 2019?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I learnt hand regging loads of names is not a good business model for me

Need to get into a trend early to get the best combos

Personally will not be investing in anything except .com and org anymore, I do not have the time or inclination for anything else....

The above are my personal views on my situation and not intended as a slight on people who choose to do it differently 🙄

•••
•••
I learnt that out of 300 hand regd names which I have, 250 of them are worthless and will be dropped...FML🤭...But my 13 sales covered the expense + Profit. I was hit but fortunately it was not a collateral damage...Lean/improve/quality is my next mission.

•••
1, Domains can be monetized in different ways
2, Advanced filters on www.expireddomains.net
3, Social media handles are valuable in conjunction with certain domains (www.namecheckr.com)
4, Register best domains long term and wait for good offer
5, Keep reading, industry changes daily (really like www.neilpatel.com and www.dnjournal.com)
6, Skills learnt in domaining can help get freelance work (@Bob Hawkes suggestion)
7, Know your industry and local trends (www.google.com/trends, www.nasdaq.com, www.forbes.com)
8, Watch podcasts on www.domainsherpa.com religiously
9, Follow the activity of successful nper members (https://www.namepros.com/members/?type=reps)
10, Accept constructive criticism and ignore abuse as if it were a fart in the wind (https://www.zen-azi.org/en/videos)

•••
1) LinkedIn is still the best place to find end-users

2) Build relationships with end-users so they become repeat buyers

3) Create Google Alerts for tech phrases related to your domains to find end-users, that way potential buyers get emailed to you. Saves a lot of work.

4) Hand regging names is still a waste of time, spend a bit more and buy names that will sell. Quality over Quantity.

Good luck in 2020 everyone

•••
My wife complained more than 2018

•••
The best thing I learned/improved on in 2019 was drop catching expired domains.

•••
@PriyankaS thank you both for starting the thread and for an insightful personal list of things to start it off. I think your #3 is something a lot of us have struggled with, and would welcome additional comments from you, or anyone else, on arguments BIN vs Make Offfer.
Bin works best for my portfolio instead of make offer.

So what did I learn in 2019. Lots of things! Almost everyday I learn something useful from someone! :xf.smile:

Here are a few that stuck with me:
  • I not so much learned what is best, but am beginning to see how challenging it is to answer the simple question. What is an effective lander?
  • I learned that different people have very different success, it seems at different marketplaces. I mean it seems two people can have the same names at 3 marketplaces, and one person has almost all of their sales at one, and someone else another. I know whichever DNS is pointed at will see more of them, but it seems more than just that one factor.
  • I am not sure it started in 2019, but I came to clearly see how important probabilistic thinking is, in my opinion. What is the probability of this type and quality of name selling?
  • I learned to use NameBio better, to use Dofo, somewhat to use DomainIQ, and to continue to use things like the various stats places, comparison places, trend tools, etc.
  • I learned some about the various ways to measure web traffic, and how they can be manipulated.
  • Through reading some outside of NPs, as well as NPs, I think I understand branding a little better (but not yet well).
  • I think partly from looking at another year of sales on NameBio I came to learn even more that various kinds of names sell, I am not talking extensions so much as the type of name.
  • I learned that some people are much better at negotiation, and that makes a huge difference in sales prices.
  • I learned how to use the BB code thing for formatting on NamePros:xf.grin:
  • I was really impressed with the reflections and success of some of the new people. I definitely learned from them.
  • Through both newcomers, and some experienced people, I saw that social media can be important. I definitely plan to get domain LinkedIn active and continue Twitter active in 2020.
  • I hope I learned the value of listening to what people say, rather than jump on why I disagree with them. I also keep working on always listening to what is said, irrespective of who it is who said it.
  • I learned that the job of a forum moderator must be the most difficult, thankless job there is. We don't say it often enough. But Thank You if you are reading this. May 2020 see less heat in some threads!
  • I learned that NamePros has an incredible number of kind, helpful people. No wait, I think I knew that the year before and the year before too!
Have a prosperous 2020 everyone!

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
You may hear of those who buy a domain and 2 months later they sell it for 20x...that is the exception not the rule when it comes to domaining. It requires time.

•••
never ever trust any one.
work hard.
Nothing happens overnight.. BE PATIENCE and keep trying.
Good days wil come.

•••
@PriyankaS thank you both for starting the thread and for an insightful personal list of things to start it off. I think your #3 is something a lot of us have struggled with, and would welcome additional comments from you, or anyone else, on arguments BIN vs Make Offfer.

So what did I learn in 2019. Lots of things! Almost everyday I learn something useful from someone! :xf.smile:

Here are a few that stuck with me:
  • I not so much learned what is best, but am beginning to see how challenging it is to answer the simple question. What is an effective lander?
  • I learned that different people have very different success, it seems at different marketplaces. I mean it seems two people can have the same names at 3 marketplaces, and one person has almost all of their sales at one, and someone else another. I know whichever DNS is pointed at will see more of them, but it seems more than just that one factor.
  • I am not sure it started in 2019, but I came to clearly see how important probabilistic thinking is, in my opinion. What is the probability of this type and quality of name selling?
  • I learned to use NameBio better, to use Dofo, somewhat to use DomainIQ, and to continue to use things like the various stats places, comparison places, trend tools, etc.
  • I learned some about the various ways to measure web traffic, and how they can be manipulated.
  • Through reading some outside of NPs, as well as NPs, I think I understand branding a little better (but not yet well).
  • I think partly from looking at another year of sales on NameBio I came to learn even more that various kinds of names sell, I am not talking extensions so much as the type of name.
  • I learned that some people are much better at negotiation, and that makes a huge difference in sales prices.
  • I learned how to use the BB code thing for formatting on NamePros:xf.grin:
  • I was really impressed with the reflections and success of some of the new people. I definitely learned from them.
  • Through both newcomers, and some experienced people, I saw that social media can be important. I definitely plan to get domain LinkedIn active and continue Twitter active in 2020.
  • I hope I learned the value of listening to what people say, rather than jump on why I disagree with them. I also keep working on always listening to what is said, irrespective of who it is who said it.
  • I learned that the job of a forum moderator must be the most difficult, thankless job there is. We don't say it often enough. But Thank You if you are reading this. May 2020 see less heat in some threads!
  • I learned that NamePros has an incredible number of kind, helpful people. No wait, I think I knew that the year before and the year before too!
Have a prosperous 2020 everyone!

Bob

Thank you Bob. About make offer and bin - before 2019 i hardly used make offer and had decent success with bin but for some reason i wanted to experiment and made my all domains in make offer with 100 minimum offer and result was very bad. As more than 90% of my offers were around 100 so it was a task for me to engage, communicate with buyer which was tiring specially negotiating from 100$ i found it tough as most of those turned out to be casual my overall sales also fell down. Hence from this year i finally changed back to bin, i had read one comment from senior that unless you have premium name always go with bin. I with my own experience fully agree with it. i do not have any premium names so Bin is the best at least for me.

And Thanks for sharing all the learning points of yours as usual its full of insights and great information.

•••
•••
1) LinkedIn is still the best place to find end-users

2) Build relationships with end-users so they become repeat buyers

3) Create Google Alerts for tech phrases related to your domains to find end-users, that way potential buyers get emailed to you. Saves a lot of work.

4) Hand regging names is still a waste of time, spend a bit more and buy names that will sell. Quality over Quantity.

Good luck in 2020 everyone

Thank you for sharing your experience. Very useful specially 1st and 3rd point.

•••
1, Domains can be monetized in different ways
2, Advanced filters on www.expireddomains.net
3, Social media handles are valuable in conjunction with certain domains (www.namecheckr.com)
4, Register best domains long term and wait for good offer
5, Keep reading, industry changes daily (really like www.neilpatel.com and www.dnjournal.com)
6, Skills learnt in domaining can help get freelance work (@Bob Hawkes suggestion)
7, Know your industry and local trends (www.google.com/trends, www.nasdaq.com, www.forbes.com)
8, Watch podcasts on www.domainsherpa.com religiously
9, Follow the activity of successful nper members (https://www.namepros.com/members/?type=reps)
10, Accept constructive criticism and ignore abuse as if it were a fart in the wind (https://www.zen-azi.org/en/videos)

Thanks, excellent points. Agree, need to follow sincerely👍

•••
tokens coins crypto arent “trends” theyre long-term play..

They may adapt “token contracts” now in sports btw..
hopefully it gets accepted, pay att’n sports fan like me

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-player-s-plan-to-sell-bond-tied-to-earnings

To this day, crypto remains most valuuable, favorite hold

Samer
I predict cryptos’ will reach, surpass 2017 peak 1 day...

Samer

Interesting, do you have any base for this? Anything to back these claims? As i failed in crypto names. The offers were too low below 500 when i was expecting min four fig. Thats why i was feeling that crypto niche has past its prime/best days.

•••
Interesting, do you have any base for this? Anything to back these claims? As i failed in crypto names. The offers were too low below 500 when i was expecting min four fig. Thats why i was feeling that crypto niche has past its prime/best days.

Crypto has only just started, there may be some new words besides crypto, eth, bitcoin, ripple etc but its not going anywhere. Never focus on 1 keyword like "crypto" just in case it does fail, spread your domains around in various keywords to cover all your bases.

•••
Most "domainers" suck at domaining. No matter how much advice you give them, they continue to think that their trash domains are a lottery ticket to a better life.

•••
Wonder what percentage of domainers check Namebio/dnprices/dnjournal at least once a day?

•••
Wonder what percentage of domainers check Namebio/dnprices/dnjournal at least once a day?
I check NameBio every morning for new listings and often multiple times in day for other queries.
I check DNJournal when new are released, normally weekly.
I mainly check DNPric.es only if a specific search not showing much elsewhere.
I also monitor the weekly Sedo and Uniregristry lists, now that they have started again.

It is important to not only check NameBio on a daily basis, as many of the sales do not make the deadline for inclusion that day, and therefore are not in any daily market report. This is particularly for retail sales, as the main wholesale listings from auctions are automatically included and therefore make daily deadline.

Thanks for question.
Bob

•••
I don't check them...
Only sometimes when I'm not sure in my own BIN price... just to compare...

•••
I learned to relax more when in sales negotiations.
I learned to spy up and coming new niche markets better

@PriyankaS 4L.com will be fine, they will remain liquid, you wont take a loss on them unless you liquidate, just wait until domainers start holding them more than selling them. then will come the better $$$ numbers and higher sales rates

Last edited:
•••
I learned that...
  1. I have to trust my gut
  2. Just like car sales, some domainers are better at selling Honda Civics while others are better at selling Bentley Continental GTs. Know what side of the fence you fall on very quickly.
  3. Domains don't sell themselves. You have to sell them.
  4. That a LOT of mom&pop stores in my neighborhood failed to register the best version of their .com domains. 'Easy' money on the table begging to be taken.
  5. Domain marketplaces are not the best place to sell domains. The competition is too fierce. If you have a vending machine in the building stocked with cheap off-brand sodas, people will buy from you before they go to the grocery store down the street...especially in inclement weather.

•••
Back