IT.COM

poll Did you make money domaining in 2019?

NameSilo
Watch

Did you make money domaining in 2019?

• 1st

Yes

votes
    68.0%
  • 2nd

No

votes
    24.0%
  • 3rd

Break even

votes
    8.0%

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
After renewals, paid tools and any other domaining related expenses, did you make money in 2019?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I probably broke even. Made one sale in Jan for $XXXX then over the year bought maybe 5 domains plus renewals for a similar total price. I don't really keep track which is bad business practice but I don't spend nearly enough to need to keep track. Still under 50 domains but 2020 is the year to get to 60ish lol.

•••
My first year in. I made one sale for low $x,xxx. I earned some money in SH contests, which I suppose could apply toward my net P/L and would put me in the green if I were to do
so, but I didn’t include it because I think “domain investing” should involve taking ownership of the names.

•••
Yup .. made multiple $x,xxx sales this year (a few in the upper 4-figure range) and definitely in the green overall by a nice amount.

I obviously also made some $$ with my daily lists at NameCult, but nowhere near as much as I hoped given the time invested, and looking back I'd have to say my time would be much better spent focusing on my own portfolio.

Because while I did make a good profit in 2019, for most of the year less than 1/3 of my domains were listed on Afternic only (only half of those priced) .. and then about 10% of my domains were listed on Sedo. So I was likely operating at about 25% efficiency .. which means I'm very happy looking ahead about the profitability of my portfolio if I actually get it organised and price/list all my domains at all the marketplaces. I recently started using Epik landers for about 40% of my domains, and definitely seeing increased activity .. really looking forward to 2020! :)

Anyhow .. hope everyone else had a good 2019 .. and wishing you all the best of luck for 2020! :)

Last edited:
•••
Got an offers for 2 of my domains:

low xxx at DAN lander in July 2019

high xxx at EPIK lander in December 2019

But I did not accept both of them, still waiting for better offers from potential buyers

•••
For me this 2019 year was very contrastive...
Good 1st half and ~0 results in its 2nd half.

•••
In June I reached my first-year mark, which meant it was time to unload a lot of my early blunders. I was lucky to sell most of them, but they sold at low prices. This resulted in a small profit for 2019, but a slight loss overall. I'm still waiting to get into the ??? .... it used to be called being in the black, but now people are referring to is as green. Either way, I'd like to be out of the red!

•••
Cash Flow -wise I'm breaking above even, this year.

•••
In the green for 2019, and I broke even for my total domain investment. 2018 was a $30k+ loss, almost gave up (was my second full year domaining), but things started looking up by this spring.

The kicker is - I spent more on names in 2019, and bought more names than I had in previous years combined; but instead of overspending on GoDaddy auctions, I've been buying fewer names privately for more money on the one hand, and bulk handregging names at promotions on the other.

What I haven't accounted for is labor. I've probably spent about 600 hours on domaining-related activities this year, and I'm happy to have invested that in a portfolio that I think will do well in the next few years, but I'm definitely looking to cut down on my time investment significantly in 2020.

•••
Good in the green for 2019, I didn't invest as much this year as i did the last several years though.

•••
•••
Even though I made some sales and some profit, 2019 was the slowest year for me since I first started selling domains.

•••
Not even one sells of end-user in 2019 at the end loss:sick:

•••
I voted no as I spent more than sold and made zero effort so own fault and too busy.

•••
yes I do make money,
but I can't understand why second half of 2019
is so low

had a great 1. quarter

and then it got slower and slower

had nearly no inquiries
in november/december

switched from DAN to my own landing page
in early december
to find if DAN was the cause for some unknown reason
had a phone calling low ball offer.

I found that phone calls of prospects
are the main advantage of using your
own landing page.

I love talking to leads.

•••
Yes, I have made money during my first full year in domaining. Total tally at low 5 figures in sales.

Portfolio is at approx 300 names.

•••
Yes have made more money in 2019.

Had good sales in the first half of the year as compared to the second half with just small sales but in all made good money with Dan. com being my best platform

•••
2019 was my first year in domaining.

June
2 word
Com
$588
Dan

Nov
2 word
Com
$588
Afternic

Dec
2 word
Com
$988
Dan

Broke even.

•••
Yes, I made money and profit. On the other hand, my portfolio sell-through rate for the year nose-dived to 3,5% as compared to 8% last year. So, I'm not very happy. Still a lot of room for improvement.
... 3 more days to year end...

Last edited:
•••
Start with $5 this July. Handreg 3 domain with coupon. Make mid $xxx profit so far and still have 12 domain for sale. I started since 2006 and vacuum since 2009 until this july. Yes, not in domaining industry up to 10 years. And come back this July for fun.

•••
yes I do make money,
but I can't understand why second half of 2019
is so low

had a great 1. quarter

and then it got slower and slower

had nearly no inquiries
in november/december

Same here.

switched from DAN to my own landing page
in early december
to find if DAN was the cause for some unknown reason
had a phone calling low ball offer.

I found that phone calls of prospects
are the main advantage of using your
own landing page.

I love talking to leads.

Do you simply call them straight off after getting an offer? I'm not doing phone calls yet but about to, wondering how is best to do that so they don't get spooked or something.

•••
Definitely profit a few thousand dollars this year on a much smaller portfolio than last year, but like others have said the past 2-3 months have been almost dead. Moved almost all of my good name landers to Uni because I dont like DANs current landers. I know @Dan is working on new ones and I REALLY hope they put them up soon because I miss having google analytics and lower commissions and I would like to switch back if possible.

Last edited:
•••
Do you simply call them straight off after getting an offer?...

sure thing

but most likely they will call me

•••
•••
3 days left, so I haven’t voted yet 😋

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back